Code of Conduct

Default Please help a mostly clueless noob

I love smelling good. I've been wearing mostly Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab scents (sorry) for a few years now but I'm bored with them and want to find new things. I live in a very rural area and don't have the ability to test most of the things I am interested without ordering samples from the internet. Would you like to help guide me? Take me under your wing? Or at least suggest a sample or two that I might like? I'm adventurous, and I have no problem wearing a masculine or unisex scent.

Here are some fragrances I have worn regularly in the past:
    Chanel No. 5
    Hypnotic Poison
    Obsession
    Angel (can't wear anymore - too sweet, too heavy, too something)

Here are some fragrances I have tried and liked but not enough to wear regularly:
    Coco Mademoiselle
    Fahrenheit
    Cashmere Mist
    I know there are more but I'm partially brain dead at the moment.

Most of the fragrances I've tested in local department stores do not appeal to me. Generally if a fragrance screams "PERFUME!!" I want to run away. Keep in mind that local stores for me tend to be places like Belk, and they do not have most of the fragrances I am interested in trying.

I like to smell actual things in my fragrance instead of just a generic heady perfume scent, if that makes sense. I like soft, spicy, warm, clean without being soapy, sweet but not uber-gormand, fruity but not syrupy, woodsy, florals that smell like real flowers. If my BPAL experience is worth anything, notes that I like include leather, tobacco, tea rose, citrus, lavender, patchouli (in smallish doses), carnation, vanilla, plum, cinnamon/spice, sandalwood, chocolate/cocoa, amber, almond, tea . . . I could go on but I will spare you. I think I tend to dislike poppy/opium type notes and dark musk.

Samples I have in my cart right now:
    Sycomore
    Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin
    Aventus
    Tobacco Vanille
    Jicky
    Egoiste
    Green Irish Tweed
    Terre D'Hermes
    Tabac Blond
    Philosykos

Am I at least somewhat on the right track? I enjoy the experience of smelling a fragrance, so I don't mind if some of these end up being wrong for me, but I would love to find at least one or two winners. I am completely open to suggestions and will be extremely grateful to anyone who wants to help me.

Thank you for taking the time to glance at this post, and if you read it all, bless your heart.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Please help a mostly clueless noob

Not clueless nor noobish enough for people to jump with recommendations yet I suppose. You seem to have quite a bit of experience already. The BPALs are not considered to be the most accessible of fragrances, so if you've already explored that avenue, you've explored. Your list of enjoyed notes is extensive and varied enough that it is hard to find one perfume that has many of them. Some of your samples are excellent choices. Can you access Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Soie Rouge? You may also wish to try Thierry Mugler AMen Pure Leather which is in department stores now, and a bit more upstanding than Angel.

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah, youre on the right track. try aventus too.

Welcome!

You have an excellent list. Sycomore and the Jo Malone are superfresh. The others, a mix of somewhat fresh (TdH, GIT) and much warmer (Tobacco Vanille). Personally not a fan of Aventus, but many people love it. Tabac Blond is nowhere near what it used to be, so for a smooth leather I'd recommend rather the plush Chanel Cuir de Russie. Egoiste is derived from another Chanel, Bois des Isles-if you want warmer and more floral, you can go with that as well.

So many things to try. Off the top of my head, since you say you like realistic flowers, tea, some spice, tobacco, I'm thinking about Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan, which would also be an intro to the minimalistic style of perfumer JC Ellena. For realistic flowers, you could try Chanel La Pausa for iris and a parfum de Rosine for roses (for instance, the green and fresh Rose d'amour). For tuberose, there's big Fracas, but it is indeed very big and perfumey (to see if you like the style, you can check at Belk or the like Madonna's Truth or dare, which is a less interesting copy of Fracas).

Incidentally, Terre d'Hermes should be available also at places like Belk or the like, so perhaps you need not purchase a sample. Other things that could be available there and are worth checking are Chanel Cristalle (very green), No 19 (green floral), Estee Lauder Youth Dew (spicy), Guerlain Shalimar (vanilla).

cacio

Sycomore & Aventus might work for you.

Please try Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange. It was my first true niche purchase. It's not priced through the roof and is packed with indolic jasmine flowers, notes of hay and apricot and a sumptuous and daring accord of smoky sweet tobacco and a hint of ash. It's really quite striking and might just fit the bill for you.

You have a great list of fragrances up there. I don't know if you're going in the right direction (smelling new stuff might open immenses new scenarios) but I'm positive you'll find something you love among those samples...Enjoy!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The sampling route is always the right track and getting a feel of what you like or don't in a fragrance is another.

Welcome to Baenotes!

You seem to like a lot of the same notes I do. If you'd like me to make you up a free sample set when my decanting supplies order comes in, I would love to share with you. I have a really nice black tea/cardamom fragrance (Nocturne by 2 Note Botanical In Maine), leathers, spices, etc. You need to try Sake by Fresh and A Quiet Morning by Miller et Bertaux. Oh, and don't buy a TF Tobacco Vanilla sample, you can have mine -- too sweet for me.

Lisa

Grt list on your sample cart - excepting Jo Maone's lime Basil Mandarin, which IMHO is not worth buying, the whole Jo Malone line is weak on longevity, gives 2-3 hrs and that to me is worthless, compared to a Tom Ford TV which gives 12+ hrs...

Dependent

Try using Fragrantica's search by notes function -- I've found it pretty useful lately. Basenotes has that feature too, but the database here is missing a lot more notes so it's not as useful.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    You seem to like a lot of the same notes I do. If you'd like me to make you up a free sample set when my decanting supplies order comes in, I would love to share with you. I have a really nice black tea/cardamom fragrance (Nocturne by 2 Note Botanical In Maine), leathers, spices, etc. You need to try Sake by Fresh and A Quiet Morning by Miller et Bertaux. Oh, and don't buy a TF Tobacco Vanilla sample, you can have mine -- too sweet for me.

Lisa
    Bingo.

Excellent taste in fragrances. I would definately suggest Creed's Silver Mountain Water.

Thumbs up Re: Please help a mostly clueless noob

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Can you access Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Soie Rouge? You may also wish to try Thierry Mugler AMen Pure Leather which is in department stores now, and a bit more upstanding than Angel.
    I will add both of those to my "to try" list. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Soie Rouge sounds very interesting. I love carnations and well, moldy peaches? Definitely intriguing. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    yeah, youre on the right track. try aventus too.
    Thanks! Aventus is already on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    So many things to try. cacio
    Thanks! I've added your suggestions to my list. I'm particularly looking forward to Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan. I think I've sampled Fracas in the past but don't remember whether or not I liked it. I have tried Shalimar and liked it quite a bit, but unfortunately my ex-boyfriend's mother started wearing it after she smelled it on me. I still like to smell it on other people but she pretty much ruined it for my personal wear.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sycomore & Aventus might work for you.
    I'm looking forward to trying these two whether or not they work for me. So many people love them that I am curious to see what my reaction is. Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Please try Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange.
    That's an awesome suggestion for me. The notes are listed as "Jasmine absolute, tobacco, hay, apricot, tonka bean, turmeric, cedar, amber, musk," which are usually all winners. Thank you very much. I didn't even know it existed. Even if it doesn't work for me I'll enjoy trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Enjoy!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Welcome to Baenotes!
    Thanks! I've been a lurker for a while now and thought it was time to finally jump in and participate.

Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    You seem to like a lot of the same notes I do. If you'd like me to make you up a free sample set when my decanting supplies order comes in, I would love to share with you. I have a really nice black tea/cardamom fragrance (Nocturne by 2 Note Botanical In Maine), leathers, spices, etc. You need to try Sake by Fresh and A Quiet Morning by Miller et Bertaux. Oh, and don't buy a TF Tobacco Vanilla sample, you can have mine -- too sweet for me.Lisa
    Really? That would be fabulous! I would definitely return the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Grt list on your sample cart - excepting Jo Maone's lime Basil Mandarin, which IMHO is not worth buying, the whole Jo Malone line is weak on longevity, gives 2-3 hrs and that to me is worthless, compared to a Tom Ford TV which gives 12+ hrs...
    Hmm, that's a downer. I think I'll still give it a try. The sample is inexpensive and I'm in this for the experience, you know? But I do appreciate your input. I'll let you know how it goes so you can have the chance to say "I told you so."

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Try using Fragrantica's search by notes function
    That is a great tip! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by silvermountainhigh View Post
    Excellent taste in fragrances. I would definately suggest Creed's Silver Mountain Water.
    Thank you! I have added it to my list.

(Sorry for snipping everyone's quotes so brutally. My intention was to condense all of my responses into one post of reasonable length rather than posting numerous individual replies. I am not familiar with basenotes forum etiquette yet so if I have committed a faux pas, please forgive me. )

Quote Originally Posted by ashara View Post
    Hmm, that's a downer. I think I'll still give it a try. The sample is inexpensive and I'm in this for the experience, you know? But I do appreciate your input.
    If you like Lime, Basil and Mandarin I have to suggest Bond No. 9's Nouveau Bowery. Smells almost identical to my nose but with better longevity.

Thank you. Added to my list!

Good taste!

Basenotes Member

Green Irish Tweed!!