Code of Conduct

Question Why is Givenchy Vetiver so hard to find?

I know there are so many 'heavyweights' here who are of the opinion that this is perhaps the best vetiver scent available...After recently having acquired Encre Noire & Carlo Corinto Vetyver, I am keen on trying out this....However it doesn't show up ebay...ever....It is not even there on amazon....There are a few other basenoters, who have it on their want list...So what is it that makes this so obscure and htf.... any information will be appreciated...thanks

Default Re: Why is Givenchy Vetiver so hard to find?

I looked for it last fall, and found the only store in the US that sold it (online or otherwise) was Nordstrom, and at the time the only Nordstrom in the US that had any was their flagship store in Seattle. They said that they had a decent demand for it at a few stores and planned to continue carrying it (the one in San Francisco was sold out at the time), so it's a mystery why no one else tries to sell it.

I've been wondering about this, too.

I can find the new Xeryus and Insense releases locally, even though Insense in the older packaging is still widely available. But no Vetyver anywhere!

I do suspect that vetiver isn't a very popular note here in Saudi Arabia, although I don't have much to base that assumption on. While merchants here may not want to sell it, that doesn't explain why it's so hard to find in other places.

Haven't seen it too. I recently bought Xeryus in a new packaging and want to own all released in the same type of bottle. Anyone can shed some light on this issue?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

BNers have reported that you can order it from the Nordstroms in Chicago, also.....see? It's not that hard to find.

...and I'm pretty sure samples are available from TPC.

Just because something isn't online doesn't mean it's hard to find. Houses are now into restricting online retailers from getting stock to keep things exclusive (and prices up). Before e-commerce, the only way to get anything was to call around to different stores. I once called 34 stores before I found a pair of jeans I was looking for.... sometimes going old-school is the way to find something.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    ...and I'm pretty sure samples are available from TPC.

Just because something isn't online doesn't mean it's hard to find.
    Ofcourse TPC would surely have it

Other offerings from Givenchy are available so easily all over the web but not this one....This cannot just be perchance....If this is a policy matter, it still is quite mysterious....You google 'Givenchy Vetiver' and you get nothing......thats shocking....Givenchy made this to sell it, not to make prospective buyers wonder where to get it from

I bought it at Saks in NYC last Spring as a gift and it was the last one they had left. More of a gentle almost feminine vetiver scent, but very high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Ofcourse TPC would surely have it

Other offerings from Givenchy are available so easily all over the web but not this one....This cannot just be perchance....If this is a policy matter, it still is quite mysterious....You google 'Givenchy Vetiver' and you get nothing......thats shocking....Givenchy made this to sell it, not to make prospective buyers wonder where to get it from
    Be sure to google Givenchy VetYver," it is one of the Y-vetivers! It is easily available in Germany, not in perfumeries that carry a limited givenchy line, but with at least 3 online retailers:
    http://de.shopping.com/-givenchy+vetyver

Oh, and bloody Harrods has it for 44 quid , but won't ship outside of the UK
    Last edited by the_good_life; 16th January 2009 at 07:21 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Sur la Plage

I found it at Nordstrom in Chicago last year. But they don't have it anymore. Had I known that, I would have bought all that they had!

As the_good_life saiid, Harrods has it for sale on their website (not sure about in-store) - but won't ship outside of the UK. So if you know someone in the UK, maybe they can get it for you.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 16th January 2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I saw it a few days back in the Bay in downtown Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan View Post
    I saw it a few days back in the Bay in downtown Montreal.
    Exactly, we in Canada are very fortunate that a good department story, The Bay, carries it. GV is only at the flagship store in each city, not at every location.
    I was told that GV had been discontinued and then re-released as a sort of limited edition thing.
    It is a marvellous scent, in some ways quite similar to Encre Noir but greener and more cushiony.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Exactly, we in Canada are very fortunate that a good department story, The Bay, carries it. GV is only at the flagship store in each city, not at every location.
    I was told that GV had been discontinued and then re-released as a sort of limited edition thing.
    It is a marvellous scent, in some ways quite similar to Encre Noir but greener and more cushiony.
    Just for my information, how much does it sell there for? In any case the price in London isn't bad....44GBP for something that should be a pretty good blind buy

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Just for my information, how much does it sell there for? In any case the price in London isn't bad....44GBP for something that should be a pretty good blind buy
    It was around $75 Canadian, which would be around 35 GBP -- a great price (and with a Givency promo I got a super fabric travel bag). That was a success Xmas prezzie to myself.
    PS -- I'm certain that if you like Encre Noir, you'll really like GV. I do.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 16th January 2009 at 12:52 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

From what I read, it is a 2007 re-release. Apparently, Givenchy did 10 re-releases in 2007. See:

http://www.osmoz.com/statique/en/200...y/givenchy.htm

I saw it at Nordstrom (Chicago) in August/September last year (they had all 4 of the mythical releases) when I returned to buy it a few weeks later they didn't have it. I've been back many several times and the sales agent was checking other Nordstroms with no luck.

I sent an email to Givenchy from their website twice looking for help finding this in the US. The first time she gave me general information - check Nordstrom and Sephora (they've never carried Vetyver) and the second time they didn't respond.

Poor Monsieur Givenchy is spinning in his grave.

I ordered it from the Nordstrum in Chicago last summer (from Petruccijc's tip) - I hear they no longer have it. I like it - I think it is a better than average vetiver but not worth travelling to get a bottle. I don't think it is superior to Sel d' Vetiver, Encre Noir, Miller Harris Bourbon Vetyver, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver, or even Corinto Vetiver. But, it is a very nice vetiver fragrance that is simple, earthy, clean, green and has a dryness to it that is very pleasant.

I think the reason that it is so hard to find is that it was just rereleased last year along with Monsieur Givenchy, Xeryus and Insense in a new bottle and new presentation. So Givenchy's are really very new to the market, in a way. But, Givenchy doesn't seem to get much attention with the fragrance departments in most retail outlets so they just haven't gotten placement. This series probably appears to fragrance department buyers as a bunch of "old reruns". Unfortunately for us the Vetyver and Monsieur Givenchy are both very good and its a shame they are not available to the public. It might just be a poor job of marketing. I know Harrod's in London carries it.

Blog Entries

hmmm...have never really looked for per se...but i vaguely remember seeing a stash of 'vintage' bottles at some city 'outlet' shop....for not too expensive. i'll check it out when i remember...and let yer know

After I managed to get a vintage EDT of Eau de Vetyver (content is under pressure and sprays instantly), I lost interest to new version.
    While they are very similar, new one has modern fresh face.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Guy's.... i can buy this in amsterdam.
    it is still available here i have checked and they are limited edition bottle
    100ml €65
    Last edited by moreda; 17th January 2009 at 05:36 PM.

That is the original, not the reissue (and double the price).... that's a little steep and shipping from Italy would make me a little nervous, but it's definitely tempting. I have samples of both the original and the reissue, and both are good - but as someone pointed out before, it's not so much greater than other vetiver fragrances as to justify the hype. The limited production and distribution is definitely working as a means of creating demand.

Does anyone know if Givenchy has a boutique in Paris? I would assume it would be available from there. I'm going to research the Paris possibility and get back to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I've been wondering about this, too.

I can find the new Xeryus and Insense releases locally, even though Insense in the older packaging is still widely available. But no Vetyver anywhere!

I do suspect that vetiver isn't a very popular note here in Saudi Arabia, although I don't have much to base that assumption on. While merchants here may not want to sell it, that doesn't explain why it's so hard to find in other places.
    i thik You are right about this. I am originally from KUWAIT ad i relly dont rermmember any vetiver scent there exept for the very fresh EAU SAUVAGE.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Interesting that the seller location is in the USA and the item location is in Italy!

That is the original, not the reissue (and double the price).... that's a little steep and shipping from Italy would make me a little nervous, but it's definitely tempting. I have samples of both the original and the reissue, and both are good - but as someone pointed out before, it's not so much greater than other vetiver fragrances as to justify the hype. The limited production and distribution is definitely working as a means of creating demand.

Does anyone know if Givenchy has a boutique in Paris? I would assume it would be available from there. I'm going to research the Paris possibility and get back to everyone.
    Thanks. I would appreciate to know if it's economically feasible. I know sephora carries it in France - it's on their website but they won't ship to the US.

Saw it a couple weeks ago at Dillard's here in New Orleans (Lakeside), The SA couldn't find the tester, even though the testers of Les Mythiques were displayed in a plexiglass cube on the top of the counter and I couldn't convince her that they were testers and not "bottles as she kept calling them. I should have asked for her supervisor and will next time I venture out there. I really wanted to test this classic fume.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    Saw it a couple weeks ago at Dillard's here in New Orleans (Lakeside), The SA couldn't find the tester, even though the testers of Les Mythiques were displayed in a plexiglass cube on the top of the counter and I couldn't convince her that they were testers and not "bottles as she kept calling them. I should have asked for her supervisor and will next time I venture out there. I really wanted to test this classic fume.

Thank You fraddicted - I just ordered one!

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Thank You fraddicted - I just ordered one!
    I called 5 mins ago and the lady says they are out. I am giving up on this one.

Damn! I would check other Dillards - I know that none of the Nordstroms have it.

This just gets nuttier! My phone rings and I see it's a 504 area code (New Orleans). I'm thinking they are calling to tell me they made a mistake and that they are out.

Instead she tells me that they only have the Givenchy Vetyver for Women. I tell her that I don't think there was one and to send it - she says on the slip when she rung it up it says women's fragrances. They only have it in the 100ml size for $65 and that's what I remember the Mythical series going for so I told her that's the one and to send it anyway.

Because the Mythical series, issued in 2007, had many feminine releases (and 4 masculine ones) they may have been labeled in the system as all feminine. I don't remember Givenchy making a female Vetyver.

I guess I'll know when I get it.

Woops sorry, already mentioned
    Last edited by urgetopurge; 17th January 2009 at 12:07 AM.

This just gets nuttier! My phone rings and I see it's a 504 area code (New Orleans). I'm thinking they are calling to tell me they made a mistake and that they are out.

Instead she tells me that they only have the Givenchy Vetyver for Women. I tell her that I don't think there was one and to send it - she says on the slip when she rung it up it says women's fragrances. They only have it in the 100ml size for $65 and that's what I remember the Mythical series going for so I told her that's the one and to send it anyway.

Because the Mythical series, issued in 2007, had many feminine releases (and 4 masculine ones) they may have been labeled in the system as all feminine. I don't remember Givenchy making a female Vetyver.

I guess I'll know when I get it.

No, youve got the right one. And it doesn't smell girly at all
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I thought so. I've smelled it before just haven't been able to buy it until now. Hopefully this will be more readily available in the U.S.

How typical. Those people are totally untrained and, more profoundly, totally uninterested in quality customer service.

I went to Nordstrom's at King of Prussia today asking about Givenchy Vetyver. The SA told me "you mean Guerlain not Givenchy."
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

You'll find it at "Galerie Lafayette" and "Printemps".

The story gets more strange....

I am on the treadmill at the gym this morning and petruccijc calls me and tells me that the Dillards I called yesterday in New Orleans told him ten minutes ago that they have one bottle left. Are you kidding me? I called three times yesterday and each time they told me 'no more Givenchy Vetyver'. I leave the gym and
    call for the fourth time and a new lady answers and tells me 'yes, we have one more bottle!'. It will be on the way to Memphis shortly to live with me. Thanks petruccijc I owe you one buddy, I guess you had the magic touch.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 17th January 2009 at 04:38 PM.

there are 2 bottles left in Amsterdam.... i do have acces to them.
    they are €65 each at the store..... i really dont howmutch that exactly is in $$$$$ i think about $90 or $100

I have asked the guy ( owner of the store) to kep them for me.
    So if any one interested than let me know.

You guys enjoy the Vetyver. Next time I am at Dillard's Lakeside I'll let them know how much I appreciate them selling you two MY Vetyver!! Let us know how you like it.

I stopped by the Nordstrom in downtown San Francisco today and they had Xeryus and Monsieur Givenchy but not Vetyver. I asked about Vetyver and the SA said they've been out for a while but should have more "in two weeks or so" (which could mean anything).

When I got my bottle last Fall, I spoke with a young woman in Nordstrom's store in Seattle, and it sounded as if she were in charge of ordering fragrances for all the stores. My guess is that if you can contact her you should be able to order it over the phone.

I don't think they would ship to Australia, however. Perhaps you could try trade with an American some Australian scent that can't be shipped to the US, like Aesop's Marrakech or Mystra.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

I am so glad I got a sample from TPC instead of getting caught up in the hype. It's heavy and sweet, with a maple syrup note (immortelle?) that slowly fades away until it finally lightens up a bit and reveals more of the clean vetiver smell. I'll take the citrusy Guerlain any day, but to each his own.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    I am so glad I got a sample from TPC instead of getting caught up in the hype. It's heavy and sweet, with a maple syrup note (immortelle?) that slowly fades away until it finally lightens up a bit and reveals more of the clean vetiver smell. I'll take the citrusy Guerlain any day, but to each his own.
    I don't see it as hype at all. It is hard to find in the US, so maybe the search to find it is part of it's mystique, but I don't think anyone has been slobbering on about how fantastic it is. It is a very simple fragrance that you will either love or not. Unfortunately some don't, but 'hype' for this one, if anything, has been around the search for it and not the merits of the frag itself IMO.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 23rd January 2009 at 05:06 PM.

The only way I obtained my bottle was a colleague of mine while in London picked up a bottle at Harrods, otherwise here in the U.S. it's a tough find.

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    That must be the version for the US market with genuine Vermont maple syrup . I consider myself the leading immortelle hater on this forum and didn't find any of that in Vetyver?!
    My Wardrobe

Basenotes Institution

I don't remember smelling anything resembling immortelle (or maple syrup) in the Givenchy either.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

I reapplied just to make certain, and I'm tellin' ya - for the first hour or so I get maple syrup and hay. It's dried down to nice vetiver now, but the opening isn't worth it to me.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I don't see it as hype at all. It is hard to find in the US, so maybe the search to find it is part of it's mystique, but I don't think anyone has been slobbering on about how fantastic it is. It is a very simple fragrance that you will either love or not. Unfortunately some don't, but 'hype' for this one, if anything, has been around the search for it and not the merits of the frag itself IMO.
    I just received mine today from Dillard's. I'm getting over a terrible cold but I don't smell any maple syrup.

I just received mine today from Dillard's. I'm getting over a terrible cold but I don't smell any maple syrup.
    I just received mine as well today and I am wearing it tonight. There is a slight sweetness to it...but nothing like maple syrup. I love the slight sweetness (tonka?) in it. I had tested it before, so I knew what I was getting.

I have a bottle which is almost full, which I don't want any more.

It's still hard to find - in Europe, as well. I got my bottle in Rome completely by chance last month as we happened to pass a perfumery that displayed a bottle in their window(!). I couldn't believe it - I'd never seen it in any store before or since... It is a beautiful fragrance - the nutty vetiver drydown is extremely nice...
    Last edited by Dane77; 24th January 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Also glad that I have bottle of this. Wonderful stuff.