Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tom Ford Italian Cypress

OMG! I sampled this in Selfridges today. This is an absolutely stunning fragrance.

I haven't fallen head over heals for a fragrance for a while but this smacked me over the head with a cricket bat.

It is honestly one of the most rich, opulent and audaciously refined fragrances I can remember in a long time.

Bearing in mind that this very day I'd been working out whether the hype was worth everything about Rose 31 (it is), this was like when Han Solo gets the Millennium Falcon into lightspeed.

I don't know what all the notes are, I actually don't even really care, this is a fragrance that rivals the first time you smell Bois Des Iles.

Simply beautiful.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Tom Ford Italian Cypress

I've got Jack Black Silver Mark, which I like. Have you tried that, and if so, how does it compare?

Sorry Bigsly no, I've not tried that so I can't compare them. But I will certainly look it out. Let's put it this way, I am trying to talk myself into going back tomorrow and buying a bottle regardless of the high price tag. (£95.00 for 50ml)
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Oh, I'm totally with you. I really love it! I sprung for a bottle the other night and can't wait for it.

It's going right onto my test list. Can't WAIT to try it!

Add one here, it's really good. Although the word cypress and chypre are almost alike, they mean different things, though Italian Cypress is a chypre (bergamot, oakmoss) and it's really good!

It definitely has this 70s 80s vibe without getting stuffy. Good sillage and longevity as well. I was really positively surprised, as I don't like chypres (such as Chanel PM).
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Institution

I was incredibly underwhelmed by this. Full review to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was incredibly underwhelmed by this. Full review to come soon.
    WHAT?

That really really surprises me Mike, I thought it was amazing.

I'd love to try Italian Cypress. When we where on holiday in Tuscany.. every house had it's driveway with cypresses.. soo lovely!
    unico grande amore.

I have a problem with most of the Private Blends. All of them smell incredible in the topnotes. When I sampled Tuscan Leather I thought it was one of the sexiest fragrances I had ever experienced, but then I arrived at the heart and base notes. It became overwhelming and cloying; the same thing happend with Oud Wood, Italian Cypress, ect.. I wish they would retain a bit more of thier initial character.
    Last edited by The Duke; 27th February 2009 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I have a problem with most of the Private Blends. All of them smell incredible in the topnotes. When I sampled Tuscan Leather I thought it was one of the sexiest fragrances I had ever experienced, but then I arrived at the heart and base notes. It became overwhelming and cloying; the same thing happend with Oud Wood, Italian Cypress, ect.. I wish they would retain a bit more of thier initial character.
    Hmm, I don't know, this retains a really nice woody base to it. I do agree with the topnotes though, they are incredible, totally captivating.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    WHAT?

That really really surprises me Mike, I thought it was amazing.
    LOL

Well, I am a Tom Ford Fan Club member, yes - but, IC was quite boring to my nose.

In fact, I think Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren (or even the original Polo) does what IC is trying to do - but better and more affordably. I will go into more detail in my review, to come.

Fan here. Most of his line is great.

Despite notes being similar, I get perhaps a passing resemblance to Jack Black Silver at best. Jack Black Silver smells rather... Cologney, if such a word existed. Italian Cypress is more warmer as opposed to Silver's coolness/bright notes. IC also is very, very refined--the cypress note in it is really smells like you're in an evergreen forest.

According to Wikipedia, Italian, or Mediterranean Cyprus "...is also grown for its very durable, scented wood, used most famously for the doors of St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican City, Rome."

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I have a problem with most of the Private Blends. All of them smell incredible in the topnotes.
    That was exactly my impression of Italian Cypress. I received a sample from a fellow Basenoter and almost PM'd him to buy the bottle he was selling after I first applied it. But the drydown was completely different than the wonderful topnotes. Almost cheap smelling and something I definitely wouldn't spent "Tom Ford Private Line" money for.

When I hear of cypress as a note, I hope for a very unique woody scent: one that is dry, somewhat resinous and evergreen. It has a compelling, slightly airy-melancholy tone. (Romans thought that the spirits of the dead hovered near cypress trees.) I don't get a sense that is at work here; I look forward to further comments.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I'd be very interested to read how or if Italian Cypress compares to AdP Blu Mediterranneo Tuscan Cypress; in more than name that is maybe you can discuss that in your review Mike...
    Last edited by jathanas; 3rd March 2009 at 06:06 AM.

Today I went into the Harrod's fragrance hall and sampled this on skin.

Now, several hours later I have reached a rather unexpected realisation about the drydown.

It smells like the far drydown of....

Yatagan. Honestly.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I'd be very interested to read how or if Italian Cypress compares to AdP Blu Mediterranneo Tuscan Cypress; in more than name that is maybe you can discuss that in your review Mike...
    I tested Tuscan Cypress quite a while ago. Honestly I thought TC smelled a LOT like Tuscany by Aramis. The same sharp, masculine, fougere vibe - incorporating citrus into the woods nicely...but nothing to write home about and not as coniferous as IC. Maybe I'll see a tester of TC sometime between now and when I write my review, and I can compare them side by side?

Related side note - one can order Italian Cypress from the new Saks men's catalog. Standard Private Blend prices - if anyone wants the catalog number for ordering from Saks just PM me and I'll give it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Related side note - one can order Italian Cypress from the new Saks men's catalog. Standard Private Blend prices - if anyone wants the catalog number for ordering from Saks just PM me and I'll give it to you.

You can also get it at Nordstrom's here.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    LOL

Well, I am a Tom Ford Fan Club member, yes - but, IC was quite boring to my nose.

In fact, I think Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren (or even the original Polo) does what IC is trying to do - but better and more affordably. I will go into more detail in my review, to come.
    Oh well it's in the differences between us that we learn more. I'll look forward to reading it! Still love it though, lol. Even if it does smell like the end of Yatagan when it dries down (which is no bad thing IMO)

I was on fence about this one but I ended up liking it alot. I wasn't sure if it was for me. I don't get along with mint in a fragrance usually. But the mint in this one is nicely matched with something else that makes it work for me.

tried it today (it's on my wrist, after a few hours, as i type). first thing that come to mind: Polo. there's nothing in this to keep me interested. green for sure but with little excitement.

also tried Silver Mark's cypress fragrance (but on a paper strip). i might have to get a sample of that. top notes smelled nice.

i still prefer the way l'occitane does woodsy scents. i recommend trying them if you haven't.
    Last edited by union1411; 6th March 2009 at 07:12 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    tried it today (it's on my wrist, after a few hours, as i type). first thing that come to mind: Polo.
    Bingo! Same here.

When I first tried this, I was disappointed. It smelt like a very mundane sweet citrus that could be worn on a humid day. Fast forward to this evening. I get a sweet neroli citrus but with a cigarette skank. Almost like someone smelling of a citrus cologne after a smoke. It's also very retro, very 70's, very Studio 54.

I like it, but I don't think I'd get a bottle, or decant.

4/5

When I tried it, Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake came to mind. The comparison is from memory, and from very small samples so I can of course be wrong...
    Last edited by pelle; 3rd April 2009 at 04:55 PM.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I smelled it on the card other day and it smelled superb but of course I know that is no real test, but unfortunately I had no room left on my hands and will have to go back another day to test

my skin is weird... after about ten minutes or so, this smells like straight up cigarette smoke? i wonder if i'm the only person getting this?

eric b

This one smells exactly like Z-14. Do an arm by arm comparison and you'll come to the same conclusion. Overpriced and unoriginal.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

yes, i read your thread when i did a search to dig this one up lol.

eric b

Must be a skin chemistry thing. For once, in my favor! (I can't rock Cool Water, Allure, etc.)

This is me. My wife loved it this AM, and one of my employees complimented me as well.

Very manly and pretty tenacious. 4 sprays and it's still very noticeable. Classy and old school.

It's 95 degrees and it works for me. And YES!!! It does smell like Halston Z-14, only like an EDP of that.

I paid approx. $75 for a brand new bottle and I don't regret a penny. For once! So many blind buys, so many regrets...but not this time.

I *love* this stuff because to me it smells like an update of Z-14, which I used to love.

I don't get Polo at all. At ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    my skin is weird... after about ten minutes or so, this smells like straight up cigarette smoke? i wonder if i'm the only person getting this?

eric b
    The opening is really nice, then morphs into a strange dark, burnt wood accord. It's too deep and dark for my taste. I guess I will be selling mine before ChuckW !
    Last edited by Michael Picasso; 11th June 2009 at 10:33 PM.

i had a chance to try this and i love it!!!

sooo, i want to buy a bottle of the italian cypress. i was wondering if there is a reliable place to get a discounted bottle from? i'd rather buy from a basenoter, but it appears that isn't going to be able to happen if you would like to part with yours, by all means shoot me a pm; but if not, a good discounter would be great. thanks so much, guys.

eric b

Eric:

You might want to check out FragranceNet.com. I was surprised to see a Tom Ford private blend on sale there. They currently have Italian Cypress in the 50 ML flask net of the 15% BASENOTES discount for $144.33 USD.

As far as FragranceNet being a reliable source, that is a matter of great debate on Basenotes, but I think the general consensus is that they are. Not really a great discount, but if you go retail, your looking at $180.00 USD plus local sales tax.

The other option of course is to wait and see if someone puts it up on the board priced to sell.

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 6th July 2009 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Grammar!

Eric, there are bottles to be had on ebay for around $80. That's where I bought mine and it's fine. At least there were, I have not looked in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Eric, there are bottles to be had on ebay for around $80. That's where I bought mine and it's fine. At least there were, I have not looked in a while.
    There still are lots of bottles on ebay that go for around the $65-$75 mark. This is perhaps the most heavily discounted scent amongst Tom Ford Private Blends. I wish Tuscan Leather was just as discounted.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Let's put it this way, I am trying to talk myself into going back tomorrow and buying a bottle regardless of the high price tag. (£95.00 for 50ml)
    I bought a bottle blind after being lucky to find a bottle of it for bid on eBay at roughly £32.00. GLORIOUS INDEED! Cypress and incense meets 70s disco patchouli! Really longlasting! Sadly I was able to appreciate it for a couple of weeks until the weather got too warm for this sillage monster! I'm definitely reaching for it when the weather comes down to around 80°F or cooler.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 7th July 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I would imagine that the target audience for Italian Cypress is men in their 40's or older. In fact, I think that people who enjoy IC would be fans of Creed's Bois du Portugal. It truly is a fantastic manly scent but not really for anyone in their 20's.
    Last edited by urgetopurge; 7th July 2009 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by urgetopurge View Post
    I would imagine that the target audience for Italian Cypress is men in their 40's or older. In fact, I think that people who enjoy IC would be fans of Creed's Bois du Portugal. It truly is a fantastic manly scent but not really for anyone in their 20's.
    I'm not 40, but you gotta have some self confidence to fit IC. There's a dark side to it too, rather intimidating.

I do like Bois du Portugal, and while we're at it, add Nicolai's New York to the list then. Again, you don't have to be 40 for these Eaux either!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Dependent

I see so much Tom Ford going on in BN and no where else where im from, and i can't help but wonder if TF is banned in Singapore.

Sur la Plage

Why? Are people in their 20's not men and/or manly?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Our resident pro Anti-age activist speaks up

This smells exactly like Jovan Sport Scent for Men. There's no way Tom Ford didn't know about it when he created this.

It's still really good - I like it, but definitely not at the price they're selling it at. The only one I would buy (and have bought) is Tobacco Vanille.

I just got a bottle of Halston Z-14 for a decent price, and I have to agree it smells like an EdT version of Tom Ford Italian Cypress. It's definitely got a similar drydown. However, the top is a tad more sour and synthetic.

If you like Italian Cypress (which I do) but don't want to shelf out all the money for it, and are content with a lighter but similar scent, go for Z-14. it's a classy citrus woody and bang for the buck.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Thanks for saying that. No, I am NOT in my 20's. Blame it on the market for "young scents" but I seriously think this trend is being reversed...

If I'm not a fan of the original polo, am I going to dislike this? I can't get over the fact that the original polo that I have in a small decant is too old man for me and occasions that I find myself in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornflake View Post
    If I'm not a fan of the original polo, am I going to dislike this? I can't get over the fact that the original polo that I have in a small decant is too old man for me and occasions that I find myself in.
    Imagine Polo green with a semi fruity opening and a pinch of cinnamon add to it, that's pretty much what IC smells like and it is not as green as the Polo also

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Imagine Polo green with a semi fruity opening and a pinch of cinnamon add to it, that's pretty much what IC smells like and it is not as green as the Polo also
    Good description. When I sampled it, I kept trying to put my finger on what frag memory it evoked and it is like a cleaned up, modernized and refined Polo green.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Good description. When I sampled it, I kept trying to put my finger on what frag memory it evoked and it is like a cleaned up, modernized and refined Polo green.
    Totally agreed. Despite the similarities, one can easily pick them apart when giving enough time. And to the Polo, someone mentioned RL has recently reformulated the Polo green and the fragrance no longer like what it used to be...i dunno..

Italian Cypress was the fragrance that really got me into my frag hobby. I read an article in Details about buying a fragrance as a memory of a vacation or special trip. I was in Vegas and tried every fragrance in the article. I came to Italian Cypress and FELL in Love with it. So much so, that I spent over an hour at the TF counter at Neiman Marcus and tried everyone of the PBs - ending up buying five at once (Amber Absolute, Purple Patchouli, Neroli Portofino, Black Violet and of course IC). I have 10 in my collection now - and I am almost to the point that I my as well get all of them so I have the full line <grin>

I love a lot of the Tom Ford ones, but not this one. It just repels me for some reason. Oh well, I guess we can't all like the same stuff!

I wore this for dinner with my wife tonight and it worked perfectly with the cooler night.. She told me I smelled "mature"...but in a good way. I told her my fragrance probably was cringing at the outfit I was wearing since it didn't do it justice,lol. I like the cinnamon smell in the drydown... Overall, a good scent, but I won't be wearing it all the time. It'll be nice to mix it in every once in a while.

i love this fragrance. it is a great beach scent for me for some reason. smells like vacation.

it has that certain juhnosayqua.

Another couple of years before they reach puberty !!

I don`t care if Italian Cypress is similar to Polo or Halzton or Yatagan, as long as it smells good. -And yes it does! It`s a very manly smell. It has its soul in the 70-ies, but it`s extremely refined and elegant. Perfect for "gentlemen". I can`t imagine wearing this scent without a nice white shirt and dress-jacket. It reeks of class and sophistication.
    -Does enyone know who is the "nose" behind this fragrance?

I'm 28 and it does smell "mature" to me and people my age that I've had smell it. That being said, I like it a lot and am glad I own it. Great scent for going to dinner in the fall...

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    There's nothing in this to keep me interested.
    Agree.