Code of Conduct

Default Creed Back Catalogue!

So, I purchased my first Creed this week.

It was Aventus, and I have to say im very impressed and fully satisfied with my purchase.

When I ordered it online I was offered the opportunity to have 2 samples.

I didnt no what to choose, so i decided on Silver Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed.

Im actually quite dissapointed. GIT seems nice, but SMW is something like a generic CK Unisex scent from the 90's.

I think Aventus was worth the money for me personally, but im quite dissapointed in what else I no so far.

I did notice that they wouldnt allow to sample some of the more exclusive scents that they produce that I was interested in testing.

Is there any other fragrances that they produce that are good, or is Aventus pretty much the only one thats going to impress me.

Default Re: Creed Back Catalogue!

SMW is really unique. I reccomend you use a good portion of the sample for a full wear, it really opens up and shines. Sometimes it takes me awhile to really "get" a scent. After wearing scents for over 20 years; Im finally understanding that the scents I instantly love, end up not so special/ get boring, and its the ones that I may not like at first, I end up loving. Example, Egoiste, Amber Absolute, Pure Havane, and yes, Silver Mountain Water.

Banned
    Blog Entries

silver mountain water is my favorite creed scent, next to aventus.

i ordered an SMW sample 12 months ago, and didnt like it
    i ordered an SMW sample 6 months ago and I LOVE it.

maybe it's batch variation or maybe its my tastes maturing.

but i love the batch i have

try virgin island water, by the way.

Thank you for your answers.

I can definitley tell that SMW is of a higher standard than any CK unisex scent from the 90's.

It definitley has that fresh morning water/dew thing going on, as apposed to anything citrusy/herbal, but maybe its just not to my own personal taste.

I shall definitley keep an eye out for Virgin Island Water.

Pure White Cologne was another one that interested me, but as UK only appears to sell 250ml at £400, thats something that will never be added to my collection lol.

I definitely share your opinion of SMW, its pretty far down on my list as far as Creeds go. Try Millesime Imperial, its great!

I second the recommendations for MI and VIW. Wasn't too impressed with SMW either.

My favorite Creed fragrances are:

Aventus
    Spice & Wood
    Royal Scottish Lavender
    Royal Oud
    Royal English Leather
    GIT
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    Original Cologne
    Original Vetiver
    Original Santal
    Bois du Portugal
    Neroli Sauvage
    VIW

All worth trying.

Personally, I am neutral on Silver Mountain Water, and give MI a thumbs down.
    Last edited by dougczar; 24th January 2013 at 04:40 AM.

Pure White Cologne - sampled it again last week. I keep trying to like it, but so far it's just not working for me.

I agree with other posts here: SMW takes some time to appreciate. And if you like a fragrance too much on first sniff, you're likely to get bored with it quickly, like when you first hear an insanely catchy pop tune. Many of life's sweetest pleasures are acquired tastes. Best to avoid being the kind of person who goes around saying stuff like "I tried champagne once, but didn't like it." Keep trying, you'll get it eventually.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 24th January 2013 at 02:26 AM.

I've sampled quite a few Creed fragrances (mostly from testers at a local Creed dealer), and I have to say the only two I've really liked have been Aventus and Original Vetiver - and the only one I have bought is OV, because it is available from discounters where Aventus isn't.

Best to avoid being the kind of person who goes around saying stuff like "I tried champagne once, but didn't like it."
    But you can save a lot of money that way
    Alan

You might like Erolfa.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Im actually quite dissapointed. GIT seems nice, but SMW is something like a generic CK Unisex scent from the 90's.
    Is there any other fragrances that they produce that are good, or is Aventus pretty much the only one thats going to impress me.
    I purchased SMW years ago. Couldn't stand it and eventually gave it to my father. Tried it a few days ago again (after years he still has half a bottle left), still hate it.

Try Original Santal and Virgin Island Water.

Bois Du Portugal
    Royal Scottish lavender

Bois Du Portugal is a fantastic scent for a daytime upper class event like a meeting or a business lunch while Virgin Island Water is a great summer fragrance for casual use.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Bois du Portugal is my funeral scent and I love it. (Full Bottle)

I also love Jasmine Eugenie Imperatrice. I'm down to the last bit of my sample.

Aventus is on my radar to buy.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Well, there are the popular choices: GIT, MI, and SMW. Almost everyone (almost) likes at least one of these; I like all three. SMW is the most unique, to me, and needs several wearings, at different times, to appreciate. I liked MI and GIT from the start. Beware the dreaded batch variations for these three.

Then there are the less popular Creeds, but still worn by a lot of people: Himalaya, Original Vetiver, Original Santal, VIW, Bois du Portugal, and several others. You should absolutely try Bois du Portugal, which a lot of people think is the best Creed. I personally hate it. From this group I adore VIW, and like Original Vetiver. Note I've experienced significant batch variations in VIW, so you should try it at least twice.

But even after those groups, which I just picked off the top of my head, there are lots of Creeds worth sampling. Frankly, I think you should sample every Creed. I hate their batch variations, and think the Creed worship (and bashing) gets a bit carried away on here, but in my personal opinion no other house makes as many nose-pleasing scents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Such a shame 99% of people only look at the modern Creed releases.

The back catalogue is gold...

Angelique Encens
    Bois de Santal
    Cypres-Musc
    Selection Verte (vintage is better)
    Vetiver 1949
    Vintage Tabarome
    Windsor
    I, for one, DON'T look just at the modern Creed releases. But the problem is that most of the ones you've mentioned are discontinued, and others are relatively hard to get and are very, very expensive, even for Creed.

Angelique Encens is fantastic -- I got a sample after thegoodlife recommended it. But it's not available any more, except from people that bought it before it was discontinued.

Same with Bois de Santal, Cypres-Musc, Vintage Tabarome, and Vetiver 1949. All discontinued. I've never tried them, as a result. Selection Verte is available, but only in a flacon. Again, never tried it. I've tried a sample of Windsor, and liked it; but I can't afford a King's ransom for a flacon.

My point is that you may be right that lots of these are gold, but I think the reason people don't know about them is that most don't exist any more except in stock bought before they were discontinued, at increasingly astronomical prices. I hate Creed's practice of killing scents like Angelique Encens and keeping others artificially "exclusive" like Windsor, but Creed goes its own way.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Angelique Encens
    Bois de Santal
    Cypres-Musc
    Vetiver 1948
    Vintage Tabarome
    Windsor
    Last edited by Kron; 24th January 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post

Angelique Encens
    Bois de Santal
    Cypres-Musc
    Vetiver 1949
    Vintage Tabarome
    Windsor
    Absolutely! Don't forget Baie de Genievre, Royal Delight, and some of the feminines are also pretty fantastic.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit