Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default basenoters hating on 1 million

1 million is one of my top 10 designer scents, no question. it's one of my few perfect scores in the designer industry. i like it a lot, for many reasons.

i know a lot of people on basenotes don't like it, but i've noticed an overall change of attitude in the past few years. i'm not calling out specific people, but just observing a demographic (fragrance collectors).

in 2008-09, 1 million was praised at niche-status since it didn't sell in the US yet. then as it did, the hype train went to a screeching halt and now many people have been opposing 1 million in the most pretentious manner possible, associating it to frat-houses and wanting to be above it.

nobody likes to be alone, and some would rather flip-flop to accomodate the majority than to be alone. i've largely learned to avoid doing this, but sometimes i'm not perfect either. and i bet you've done something like that recently before. yes, yes i know you say you never do it. but you did.

if you dislike 1 million genuinely, i wholeheartedly respect your opinion. it's not for everybody. but i've just seen so much hypocrisy. i know i've been critical of him, but robes08 did dedicate an entire video to this topic and i agreed with most of what he said.

my biggest complaint is the one about perceptions of versatility. at first, basenoters and youtubers were proclaiming this as a fragrance you could wear anywhere. but then as more and more comments started coming in, describing this as a club fragrance and seeing this as a club-only fragrance, the frag comm (like the zombies they can be sometimes) changed its attitude under pressure.

1 million had a one word association to it that just stuck "club-scent". people assert this claim so dogmatically, yet it was not god-given nor inherent in the universe, but invented by people. i, PERSONALLY (but not objectively), feel that 1 million is suitable for daily wear. i just see the citrus and the heavier and spicer accords as a perfect duality between youth and maturity, smoothed out by cinnamon.

I agree that it's a powerhouse (you have to be very careful) but 1 full spray in the winter and 1 light spray in warmer weather is perfect. yes, you will be noticed, but you won't choke anybody if you keep it to 1 spray max (unless your skin doesn't project very well). it took me time to understand that it is the application that matters, but it does. while it isn't as versatile as ysl l'homme or millesime imperial, it is something that can be safe and pleasant if you are careful with the trigger.

it is a modern scent, so after it rides out its popularity wave (when that will be, i dont know) , maybe people will appreciate it again, for it's exclusivity.

Default Re: basenoters hating on 1 million

I think it's sickingly sweet and cloying.

true
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

My one sampling of this one had be scrubbing within 30 minutes.

being new here my opinion most likely counts for very little (I stalked on basenotes for ages and learned alot but only recently joined to participate in a split)

When I first tried 1 Million in store on a test strip I really wasn't very impressed and pretty much just blew past it without a second thought, But I had heard good things so one night after work as I was about to head home I stopped in a decided to give it a try on my skin and it became a completely different beast once on my skin and I instantly changed my tune. The next day I went out and bought a bottle and have been enjoying it ever since.

Whilst I agree it works well as a club scent because a couple of sprays definitely has the ability to project and cut through the other competing smells in a club it is also able to be worn on other occasions, I wore it to work just the other day. We've had a lot of bush fires here in Aus recently and I woke the other day to the overwhelming smell of smoke in the air and it was just the right amount of sweetness to offset the smoke. I agree though for everyday where you need to go easy on the trigger otherwise it can become cloying.

I only like its drydown. Also, its parfum version (Absolutely Gold) is much better blended.

I personally have always been OK with it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

yea 1 million has the same amount of projection as aventus, more or less

while i agree aventus is slightly a little more safer (as its less sweet), both matter in the application.

noirdrakkar - shouldn't you be stoked that less people wear it?

Sure, it's still one of the best-selling mens scents, doubtless worn by many, but even if 400 BN members dislike it (regardless of their motivations for disliking it) that's 400 less people wearing, and possibly over-applying* a scent you really like.
    Now I know that wanting a fragrance to be 'less popular' is viewed as kinda pretentious, and fragrance should primarily be worn for yourself, but there remains the possibility of being written off as 'generic' if you're wearing the same frag that every other person in town is.

Besides, it's not like 1Million needs extra sales to save it from being discontinued, and do you really mind if people on a forum who you've never met think a little less of you for liking a fragrance?

*Not that I'd accuse a BaseNoter of overapplying

Basenotes Member

I think 1 million smells pretty good but I don't intend on getting a bottle. My sister loves the scent so I find it a little weird to wear.

I didn't like it at all, way too sweet and fruity and odd for me.

People's opinions may have changed based on the people they know who wear 1 million... Rather than the scent itself.

If you see a lot of people that you dislike... Wearing a certain scent... You might have a negative view of it after that. That's just how most people are.

i did like it back in the fall. i take that back. i REALLY liked it in the fall. but since starting to work at macys at the suit section, ive had to measure many people who way overapplied 1 million over the past six months. this killed it for me. not the scent or anything about the fragrance itself, just the amount of people who overused it and who i have gotten into close proximity. your liking, and finding something you consider so great, i applaud. but i cannot like it myself anymore.

I bought, it rocked it for a bit, got rid of it, decided to give it another whirl and bought another bottle, wore it for awhile and haven't worn it much since. It's not that I don't like, but I find it to be kind of attention-whorish, as in it demands attention and has little to no subtlety about it, which I suppose is potentially desirable in certain scenarios and why I keep it around.

First time I was able to try it was this past summer. I loved it and immediately ordered a bottle. And while some might not like it from the start, I wouldn't find it odd if others developed an aversion to it over time. I once enjoyed Acqua di Gio, yet I can't stand it today.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    This. Oh, and THIS.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

This.

I dont mind to smell its sillage from far but when I tried to wear it, even few dabs were so ****** cloying, synthetic and bubble gum sweet that I had to wash it away after 1 hour.

+when I smell fragrance on some males (rare occassion) in 4 of 5 occasions, its 1 million. 1 million in my country is probably what Acqua Di Gio is in USA. Absolutely overplayed.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

First time I smelled it (not that long ago), it blew my mind. Bought a bottle instantly. I love it, but rarely wear it because it is so young and loud.

If 1 Million were a Frederic Malle creation, and no high school kid ever heard of it, it would probably get plenty of love here.

If you like it, wear it. I personally don't and won't. I consider it a bubblegum headache machine. I don't like hotdogs either, but don't sweat that many do (though I can't figure out for the life of me why ).

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    true
    Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    My one sampling of this one had be scrubbing within 30 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    I didn't like it at all, way too sweet and fruity and odd for me.
    All of the above , except it took me 40 minutes to get home to scrub it off ......

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If 1 Million were a Frederic Malle creation, and no high school kid ever heard of it, it would probably get plenty of love here.
    ^ this.

and it was practically niche in the US for a year. and the disparity between then and now speaks for itselfs

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    & probably still the same amount of dislike ... & another certainty is, it would still be getting scrubbed by many as soon as they could get to the rest rooms .
    Noir , there are 100's of better cologne's than this .. Will you be getting it again when your bottle runs dry ?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    when I tried to wear it, even few dabs were so ****** cloying, synthetic and bubble gum sweet that I had to wash it away after 1 hour..
    Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I consider it a bubblegum headache machine.

Overcome By Fumes

I first test smelled this fragrance a couple weeks ago. I think it's legit to call out our tendency to give more respect to artisanal houses and offbeat fragrances over mainstream and popular ones. I found 1 Million to be pleasant enough but rather unexciting and nondescript. I can't see myself ever seeking to wear it, but if I were stranded on an island and there was just one of those gold colored bottles there, I would probably use it. Some of the appeal of a fragrance is its originality and variance from what is commonplace. This appeal is, by definition, lost when a fragrance becomes popular. There is relativity, sensibility and taste are not absolutes.

I don't think it's hated, but rather in that Joop! Homme category. The niche crowd won't deal with the ingredient quality and those who like the rich, natural, complex, balanced scents will have little or no use for it. Those who wear such scents as 1 Mil regularly are much more likely to be out partying rather than typing up posts for fragrance forums. LOL.

I do not agree with it not being niche quality, so it gets no love.

When I started into fragrance this was one of the many hyped up smell that I never heard of and pretty much told I needed to get my hands on this, which I did then Bam! I could not figure out How in the hell is this considered great Great? It smells rancid!

Banned

Nice post noirdrakkar. This is a great example of how snobbish some of us have become here on BN. The quality of a fragrance should not be determined by its popularity. Luckily for me, I rarely smell fragrances on other guys, unless they apply them heavily. I happen to love the smell of 1 million, and it is my girlfriend's favorite, so it's an easy decision for me. Sure, it will become cloying and obnoxious as it screams, "attention whore" with over-application, but every fragrance does that; apart from the select few which cannot possible be over applied (gucci pour homme II, D&G The One). As with everything in life, all things in moderation. As with 1 million, it is easy to fill a 2ml splash vial every now and then and apply it manually with the desired amout. A little of this stuff goes a long way and when you apply a small amout to the neck, it will be difficult for anyone besides you to smell it unless they were very close to you. The popularity of a fragrance shouldnt deter you from enjoying it for yourself, or skew your perceptions of its quality based on the few who abuse its power. If YOU like the smell, then wear it proudly as often as you want. If YOU dont like the smell, then pass on it without looking back.

At my age, It feels like I'm committing a felony wearing it.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

one million is a great scent... haters that's just another matter...it's not beautiful what is beautiful is beautiful what you like!

I found it to be absolute toilet way before I joined BN, so my opinion was not dictated by the Basenotes hivemind

I think it could have been a good frag with the notes listed, but it seems so distorted by poor balancing of the notes or low quality of ingredients. Perhaps it is because each of the three perfumers it took to create it, wanted to tweak it to their own liking or put their mark on it.
    Or maybe all the money went to marketing and designing that shiny tacky trinket, instead of quality ingredients and wages for the perfumers

This of course being me subjective opinion and feelings towards the scent.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    At my age, It feels like I'm committing a felony wearing it.
    I feel the same, but for any age that wears it.
    Last edited by Partario; 24th January 2013 at 04:52 PM.

I actually really enjoy it, but hate that every guy in my area wears this.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

In spite of the common outlook on this scent, I actually enjoy it and hardly care about the hype, the negative image etc., as long as I like its notes.

I don't think it's overly sweet like many others, actually, it has some spicy notes and leather in there, for sure. It's a good "fun" scent, like Magnetism, or Joop!. I see all of these as "clubbing" scents. Nice if you wanna be noticed for sure, but not very versatile. Regardless, a work of art imo, and a groundbreaking fragrance.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Clearly with packaging like this it's for a very specific audience which doesn't include me. I do not like loud, shiny things.

The fragrance? It's loud, sweet and really nothing special at all. While I don't find it disgusting like some others do, I would just never spend my money on something like this.

One of the reasons it's labelled a club-scent is because many people who go clubbing wear it and indeed, one need only spend a few minutes inside a club to notice that many guys wear it for such occasions. Guys desperate to get noticed. Guys who wear gel in their hair and necklaces outside of their shirts.

Sound Scents

It was a scrubber for me as I too found it way too sweet and cloying as mentioned by others. Its popularity, however, plays no role in my dislike. It wasn't for me, but as long as you like it, its all good.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

i bought a 20ml bottle over a year ago and still have 18ml left lol,i think it's just ok 5/10..

1 Million is an attention whore. It screams attention whore in every way. I'm sure some people could wear it properly and not over spray, but putting something in the hands of someone who is used to spraying 6 to 8 sprays is like marketing pepper spray as a cologne. It's one of the sweetest fragrances you can put on which makes it polarizing. I think it does get bashed a lot on here, but if you like it then it shouldn't matter.

I kind of agree with you Noirdrakkar.
    I don't wear it myself but as far as big hype, in yer face recent frags go I think it has to be number one.
    Most people I know who have bought a scent recently have bought this one because they loved it and liked the fact that it "didn't smell old fashioned".
    I sometimes wonder how I would feel towards it if I hadn't had a Basenotes education for the last year or two. (And if I wasn't in my forties).
    Anyway my scent of the day is Worth Pour Homme.
    Last edited by martinijo; 24th January 2013 at 11:18 AM.

It's to loud and sweet for my taste too.

I have no objections to the actual fragrance.

I have problems with the association of this fragrance. It's way too common and some of the people that I have seen wearing this have put me off big time.

Saying that, I may still one day decide to buy!

All the haters have spoken on my behalf.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

One Million is a victim of its own success. It is not the most natural smelling fragrance, yet it is a good fragrance which is loved by millions of teenagers and mature men throughout the world.

Basenotes Junkie

I actually haven't sampled it, even though I guess I've had the possibility several times the last year. Some of the reason for that is definitely the reviews stating that this is a sweet and cloying fragrance.

At the same time, I'm pretty into the whole bottle-design and looks of my collection, and I'm wondering if I would even have it in my collection due to the looks. I know, judging the book by its cover is a terrible decision, but still, is it something in it when it comes to that beyond horrible package of a god damn gold bar?

I also associate it with people I really don't care for all that much. I'm not into the whole "clubbing" scene, and got fed up by it way back when I did some dj'ing here and there (just a couple of gigs, nothing major). For me, the clubbers often (but obviously not always) tend to be somewhat simple-minded in their likes and not likes. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be "one of them".

I should really try it out just to see if I like it, but I'd probably still try to find something similar with niche qualities rather than go for 1 million. Why? I tend to like those "last" 10% improvements a niche fragrance often brings over the designer equivalent (hello CW vs GIT etc).

I like the topic and the op's observations though, and I'm pretty sure lots of readers will develop a disliking to something if it's bashed enough, regardless of that being the truth about the fragrance or not. After all, it's all in the eye of the beholder, not Luca Turin or respected Basenoters.

Never smelled it. Also never understood why some people are obsessed with the opinions of others. If you like the scent, great! Otherwise, it looks like one has an issue with being accepted...
    The Bark Bites Back.

Blog Entries

There are those who don't like it b/c they truly don't like the smell, fair enough. BUT there are always those who don't like it b/c it is popular with the common man. I like and own it. I get more compliments with it than from GIT.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Basenotes Member

I bought it when it first came out in the UK, enjoyed it for a bit but then a few years later stopped wearing it altogether.

I'm far from a fragrance snob, I don't own a single niche fragrance and I think the only one I've bothered to try is GIT. However the fact that every single little 16 year old kid is dousing themselves in 1 Million these days renders it unwearable for me. I don't care if that seems shallow that I associate what is/was an exciting youthful fragrance with a certain type of person but that's all it has become for me.

Perhaps in 10-20 years I'll sample it again and enjoy it, but when I see the type of people who attack everyone's personal space at clubs with this stuff I just can't enjoy it any more.

The sweet, almost butterscotch like note in this one is just a bit too prominent. Odd, as I think that same chemical is in one of my absolute favorites, Harrods Oud Patchouli, but there it feels more integrated to me.

I'm not calling out anyone in particular or pointing fingers, but I do sense the community as a whole, especially many of the big blogs, automatically give the short shrift to many scents based on the brand/heritage of the scent in question. Of course, their readership expects - dare I say almost demands such. I see so many scents slagged before they are even released if they come from a less prestigious house, and people lamenting things like the presence of a note du jour (eg: pink pepper) listed in the scent, while at the same time a Lutens or some other highly regarded brand launches with the same note, and everybody fawns over it and says things like "Oh, it sounds so interesting!"

The fragosphere, in general, is a huge echo chamber.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

I have never "not worn" something I like simply b/c "kids" wear it. I generally only apply so that I can smell it, so I don't worry if others smell it on me, or others are wearing it. While not the longevity or complexity of a niche, it serves me well. Funny thing...I spent some time looking at wardrobes of some of those complaining that it was "sickly sweet" and they never wear sweet. Many of those same complainers own and like "sickly sweet" niche so...?
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 24th January 2013 at 12:50 PM.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

There's always a herd mentality within every community. Why should Basenotes be any different? It takes a strong individual to take a stand because he truly believes in it, not because it is expected of him. You love 1 Million and that should be the end of it. Why bother trying to influence a herd? Or does it get lonely being one of the few BNer who loves it?

Personally, I don't care for it. It's just not my preferred style. Clearly personal preference has nothing to do with what the rest of the herd think.

Banned

For all of you in Europe and elsewhere in the world, I understand whole heartedly why you would never wear or buy 1 Million. It has the same popularity in Europe as Acqua di Gio has in the United States. Now, I still rarely smell AdG on other guys, but guys in my area dont seem to wear fragrances all that often. The beauty with 1 Million here in the U.S. is that the target audience is males between ages 16 and, say, 25. This demographic will most likely not want to spend $60-$80 usd for a fragrance unless they are plugged into the fragrance community. We are still rockin' axe body wash, deodorant, and body spray. Thats all I really smell. So yu think way too many people have it, but go through an entire day at school or work or the gym, and tally the number of times you actually smell 1 million on another male. I would be suprised if it hit even 3 because I have only smelled it once in the past two years.

I think its one of the more cheap chemical smelling scents out there, Its very well targeted to a certain demographic (15-25) where its primary function is to be loud and noticable and obvious.

Its pretty much the antithesis of everything I'd look for in a fragrance in my early 30's and I don't find it a pleasent smell.

Never have (knowingly) smelled it. Too popular and disliking the bottle I have no urge to try it.

Also have not tried Acqua di Gio, Armani Code, The One, most Boss/Calvin Klein, etc...I'm stubborn like that lol.

I don't like or dislike the fragrance. What I really don't understand is the hate toward any perfume that results in rude rants about a particular fragrance or house. Hate is ugly. Expressing that hate in the worst possible way in any forum is simply a cry for attention. Does anyone really think that getting rude is really going to elevate your own status? Methinks not. If you don't like something, review it and tell us why. Leave the rudeness at the door. Just my opinion...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I think its one of the more cheap chemical smelling scents out there, Its very well targeted to a certain demographic (15-25) where its primary function is to be loud and noticable and obvious.

Its pretty much the antithesis of everything I'd look for in a fragrance in my early 30's and I don't find it a pleasent smell.
    Have to agree. I would replace obvious with obnoxious, just like the bottle.

I do not hate any fragrance, but I do dislike fragrances, and this one is high on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    There's always a herd mentality within every community. Why should Basenotes be any different? It takes a strong individual to take a stand because he truly believes in it, not because it is expected of him. You love 1 Million and that should be the end of it. Why bother trying to influence a herd? Or does it get lonely being one of the few BNer who loves it?

Personally, I don't care for it. It's just not my preferred style. Clearly personal preference has nothing to do with what the rest of the herd think.
    It's all about taking a stand for the right reasons though. It's similar to wearing terrible clothes or an ill-fitting suit. You are not being 'brave' per se, just 'wrong'. We are not talking idealogies here.

^^^^^^^^^
    Last edited by Kaern; 24th January 2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    It's all about taking a stand for the right reasons though. It's similar to wearing terrible clothes or an ill-fitting suit. You are not being 'brave' per se, just 'wrong'. We are not talking idealogies here.
    Nope, don't agree with that comparision. If you wear 1 Million a large majority of people will think you smell good, if a man wears a suit that is 3 sizes too big, or some other form of "terrible clothing", majority of people will think he looks ridiculous. I also don't think it's fair to say someone is "wrong" for liking a fragrance.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 24th January 2013 at 05:31 PM.

If you like 1 Million, enjoy it. You don't need basenotes approval. I like Corduroy by Zirh. I don't see THAT getting any love here, nor do I care. Why is there so much need for groupthink?

Quote Originally Posted by Classé View Post
    I do not agree with it not being niche quality, so it gets no love.

When I started into fragrance this was one of the many hyped up smell that I never heard of and pretty much told I needed to get my hands on this, which I did then Bam! I could not figure out How in the hell is this considered great Great? It smells rancid!
    I had a similar experience, except it doesn't smell rancid to me. It smells way too sweet.

When I first started coming to basenotes last year, any question about which fragrances to try for going on a date seemed to be answered with Pure Malt and 1 Million. I never found Pure Malt locally, but when I sampled 1 Million I was blown away by how sweet it was. Way too sweet and way too loud for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by LEBRON JAMES View Post
    This is a great example of how snobbish some of us have become here on BN. The quality of a fragrance should not be determined by its popularity.
    I don't think that's what's going on here. 1 Million is so sweet and so loud that many - myself included - literally cannot handle it.

I think that 20 years from now, the fragrance community will look back on this era and think of hyper sweet scents with cheesy looking bottles as the parachute pants of perfumes. Way too loud, way too desperate for attention. There's a difference between wanting to smell good and needing to use one's scent as a bullhorn.

On the other hand, viewing scents like 1 Million and Gucci Guilty from a marketing standpoint, I think they're both sheer genius. They reinvigorate a brand with an influx of attention and younger customers.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Nope, don't agree with that comparision. If you wear 1 Million a large majority of people will think you smell good, if a man wears a suit that is 3 sizes too big, or some other form of "terrible clothing", majority of people will think he looks ridiculous. I also don't think it's fair to say someone is "wrong" for liking a fragrance.
    A large majority of people I interact with on a daily basis, myself included, don't.

It's become a victim of it's own success in certain circles. Sure it's still a top seller but so are these cheap and tacky chinos I see everyone wearing around my age here in the UK, the majority think they serve a purpose and look good in them, but personally I can't stand them just like I can no longer stand 1 Million.

A better example (and one perhaps the US reader can identify with) would be RL polos. Seen as somewhat exclusive and fashionable for a number of years then preppy pre-teens get a hold of their parent's wallet and suddenly that's what the brand is more often than not associated with (For people the same age as me anyway).

It's just such an obvious fragrance, and personally whenever I smell it on someone now I just see a walking cliche, the same obnoxious 16 year old kid violating everyone's personal space.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, LBI, if I had zero concern about the opinions about the community, I wouldn't be here posting at all. And that applies to everyone here as well.

I think this is more representing of the overall attitude of niche vs designers. There are plenty of people who genuinely dislike 1 million (or have distanced themselves from it). But unfortunately, many people shift their opinion based on what the niche community programs them to believe.

I may like One Million because I'm younger. I'm 21. I'm more open minded than most of my age demographic, but in the end, I am younger. I don't know if I'll be wearing this when I'm 40, but for now, I see it as a masterful fragrance.