Code of Conduct

Default Good place to start on............

trying to create perfume oils for manufacture. I create perfume oil concoctions and use a base such as SAO, Grapeseed, etc. I haven't been fortunate enough yet to be able to afford supplies where I can make actual perfumes that don't require a base oil, but my question is this; how do I make an oil that if I wanted to sell the blend to be used in other applications to other people such as soap, candles, etc.; how would I go about doing this? Would I simply blend Essential Oils and/or Fragrance oils and then add them to an oil base and then test them in the finished application? Thank you!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good place to start on............

As a hobby soapmaker I can tell you that testing fragrance in soap (cold process, hot process, melt and pour) particularly will be a long hard road. Many essential oils accelerate the trace of soap ruining batches, many fragrance oils the same. There's the issue of discolouration of the soap bar (vanillin is a villain for this turning everything brown) and longevity as well as stability in the highly caustic environment of saponification. There's a lot of complications and a lot of big professional companies in that arena too. You'll have to not only test the fragrance in a live batch but also cure it for a year to ensure the fragrance properly sticks in soap. I wish you the best of luck but just in that one field alone, it will be a long, long road.

Thank you for that, I too make soap and I know exactly what you mean!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for that, I too make soap and I know exactly what you mean!

I make soap too, and find scent goes and shows best in the melt and pour. Which is annoying because I prefer the quality of CP o HP. Don't know about longevity, soap never lasts that long or I sell it! Check out Natures Garden for notes about fragrance oils effects on batches, every oil has notes about its tendency to accelerate, however I have noticed that NG downplays acceleration a bit. Carrier oils won't hack it - you have to have high concentrations for soap scenting. So, fragrance oil to fragrance oil or essential oil to essential oil - but yes you can mix FOs and EOs together.
    As a final note, when I talked about something similar to a distiller (I've taken up distilling EOs) he said he wouldn't waste distilled EOs in soap!!!

I make soap too, and find scent goes and shows best in the melt and pour. Which is annoying because I prefer the quality of CP o HP. Don't know about longevity, soap never lasts that long or I sell it! Check out Natures Garden for notes about fragrance oils effects on batches, every oil has notes about its tendency to accelerate, however I have noticed that NG downplays acceleration a bit. Carrier oils won't hack it - you have to have high concentrations for soap scenting. So, fragrance oil to fragrance oil or essential oil to essential oil - but yes you can mix FOs and EOs together.
    As a final note, when I talked about something similar to a distiller (I've taken up distilling EOs) he said he wouldn't waste distilled EOs in soap!!!