Code of Conduct

Default Essential Oil Chemical composition conundrum

Varies from batch to batch is a given, but minimum it would be nice if some of that data were made available and something of a grotty average may be determined. Most suppliers seem to not have that information readily available or perhaps that is only my experience. Does such a data base already exist that I have missed? If so, please post a link.

The dilemma I have run into, the geraniol , citronellol tends to come screaming out of the blend, when the EO itself doesn't have that characteristic. The final effect is not unpleasant per se, sometimes, but...not too often.

The vagaries of it all. If it can be moderately quantified, I can reduce the error somewhat.

Default Re: Essential Oil Chemical composition conundrum

Like you say the problem with EO's as with any natural cosmetic ingredients is that there is quite a margin in the variation of its composition. With EO's that can be even greater as a variation in composition means a variation in scent. Other issues with EO's, especially those sold in small quantities, is that there is a much bigger chance of adulteration (for example mixing geraniol & citronellol and sell it as geranium EO). Good quality control is costly, skimming on that means skimming on quality. However scientists often publish their results of GC/MS analysis of EO's, so you can scholar.google "GC/MS analysis xxx' of the EO if your choice and get a rough idea of what it should be.

P.s. to clarify GC/MS = Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry

Here is a good article on the matter:
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~no...er/october.htm
    Last edited by Irina; 14th December 2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

THE thread for all newbies DIY fragrance

Thank you Irina,
    That search confirmed my suspicion.
    Now I know the problem in my blend. And the culprit.

Much appreciated.

You're most welcome
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

THE thread for all newbies DIY fragrance

As for an Essential oil GC-MS database, have you looked up Essential Oil University's database?

Thank you Pkiler!

That is an excellent resource.

Interesting!

One of the skills of a good Essential Oil supplier is to make sure that each batch produced is consistent in quality, from year to year. Even though there will be natural fluctuations in the temperature, rainfall etc. which will affect the production of any oil, the producer must try to maintain the same quality. This is not easy and may involve blending of different sources of the same oil, and, if the producer thinks he can get away with it, the addition of natural identical chemicals. As has been said, the smaller the amount bought, the more chance there is of adulteration. Any reputable Essential Oil producer will provide an MSDS (material safety data sheet) and a rough breakdown of the constituents of each oil sold.