Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Granville by Christian Dior

This stuff is fantastic! I sampled it today and I instantly connected with it.

The lemony here-we-go-again top notes led me to believe that it was going to smell just like a normal, gentlemanly eaux-type cologne but then in a few minutes it transitions into a green, camphorous, resinous, masculine aromatic. It is not as sharp or biting as some of my favorite greens (Scent One: Hinoki, Polo), and I suppose it's the balance of the citrus that helps take the edge off the very strong aromatic and wood notes. I remember describing the smell of Cypres-Musc by Creed, the first time I smelled it, as the smell of a tree branch snapped in half by a storm, raw exposed, tender tree bark - and I have to compare that sensation to Granville also. There is a very evident element of pine and some sort of leaf accord (lemon leaf? verbena?) mixed with the slightly salty thyme.

There is something incredibly comforting about wearing or smelling a fragrance that smells like the natural juices from a leaf or branch. In the same way that Calamus (Scent One: Leaves) by Comme des Garcons smells like a torn, milky leaf, the Dior evokes that same sort of outside-in-amongst-the-plants-and-trees that so many fougeres and 'garden' fragrances (the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria line, for instance) strive for - but fail at.

Many fragrances in the Villoresi line are much more pungent and aromatic than this - but their heavy-handedness can be a bit tiring over the long haul. The Dior is just smooth, cold and yet still manages to express itself strongly and assertively.

Polo by Ralph Lauren is one of my favorite green scents, but I always yearned for a 'Cologne' version of Polo. Granville, is the closet to this dream scent, I've ever encountered.

Today, is a gray, rainy, cold day here in Miami and I had to come into work today (it's Saturday) so this scent has imperceptibly brightened my day, ever so slightly.

Octavian compared it to Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens (another favorite of mine) but as the polar opposite of each other: Fille en Aiguilles is dark, Granville is bright. I agree.

All of you Basenotes Coneheads (you know who you are) need to sample this one.

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Granville by Christian Dior

It's a nice aromatic fragrance.

Sounds very appealing. Thanks for the detailed description!

Need to test this soon. Thx.

Granville smells to me like ocean air as it drifts through tall pines and across freshly clipped hedges and grass. There is a well manicured aspect to the green scent in Granville. When I tried it I was reminded of a trip years ago where my mornings were spent out on a golf course on Defuskey Island off South Carolina coast. The ocean air, tall pines, fresh grasses - smells just like Granville. Is it named after the Granville hotel in Vancouver or Granville Island? That would explain the pines and well ordered feel of the fragrance.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Granville smells to me like ocean air as it drifts through tall pines and across freshly clipped hedges and grass. There is a well manicured aspect to the green scent in Granville. When I tried it I was reminded of a trip years ago where my mornings were spent out on a golf course on Defuskey Island off South Carolina coast. The ocean air, tall pines, fresh grasses - smells just like Granville. Is it named after the Granville hotel in Vancouver or Granville Island? That would explain the pines and well ordered feel of the fragrance.
    Good description. 'Well manicured', indeed.

I believe the fragrance is named after the commune, in north-western France.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else smell this or own a full bottle?

I can't seem to get this one out of my head. I think I need a decant, soon.

-- Eckhart Tolle

... did someone say "pine"????
    Oh boy mike, you've really got me interested in this.
    The Dior site says the following:
    "A spicy aromatic fragrance with powerful and invigorating notes - Pine, Thyme and Rosemary- over a woody spicy base note, with Black Pepper and Sandalwood."
    "The House where Christian Dior spent his childhood is located in Granville, in the Normandy region. Built overlooking the cliffs, it is surrounded by pine trees and has a view of the sea. Inspire by this site that is so dear to the creator, François Demachy chose to create a fresh, invigorating and aromatic fragrance. 'I not only wanted an aromatic fragrance, as the estate has an abundance of pine trees, but also one that is exceptionally invigorating and extremely fresh. The gusts of wind, the waves that are constantly breaking against the rocks... Nature, in Granville, is anything but serene. This fragrance is like the wind that blows through Granville.'"
    This has moved to the top of my sample search.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

I actually thought of you Ody, when I was enjoying this. Seriously. I look forward to hearing your impressions of this.

I don't think I could go through a whole bottle, but I hope to get a large decant of this soon, once I can source an affordable option.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the breakdown Mike and Buzzlepuff - of all the new Diors in this collection Granville was the one that popped out for me - looking forward to trying it.

Mike the Dior boutique in LA has some of them and the best part is that they have the smaller size bottles (the 150ml) by now they just have Bois d'Argent, Eau Noire and Ambre Nuit but the SA told me that they are gonna get the rest of the line in the two sizes, maybe if you have a Dior near you, you can give them a call and ask if the have the smaller size bottle, I tried this one when I went to Las Vegas and is one of the bottles that I'd love to buy.

Grainville is one of my favorites from this new bunch of exclusive fragrances of Dior. Although the pine scent on it doesn`t remind me of neither Polo nor Fille en Aiguilles. On my mind, Grainville is more close of Eau Sauvage in style, but with the pine on focus. At first i get a very adstringent citrus aroma, then a bitter woody pine, and after that, both notes seem to relax a bit on skin, opening space of a incense which is not so on focus as in fille en aiguilles, and for a peppery accord. On me it`s suitable more for summer than for winter.

These are impossible to track down...No luck at Diors in Boston or NYC. Contacted Dior online. The only way to get the new ones now is online or from the Vegas store.
    Of course they have no samples for sale!! Little to exclusive!!
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    Mike the Dior boutique in LA has some of them and the best part is that they have the smaller size bottles (the 150ml) by now they just have Bois d'Argent, Eau Noire and Ambre Nuit but the SA told me that they are gonna get the rest of the line in the two sizes, maybe if you have a Dior near you, you can give them a call and ask if the have the smaller size bottle, I tried this one when I went to Las Vegas and is one of the bottles that I'd love to buy.
    Good news. I'm not sure I can wait that long.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    These are impossible to track down...No luck at Diors in Boston or NYC. Contacted Dior online. The only way to get the new ones now is online or from the Vegas store.
    Of course they have no samples for sale!! Little to exclusive!!
    I'm pretty sure the Dior boutiques, in New York, have them. They've (for whatever reason) split them up between the men's and women's stores...at least that's what the Dior SA told me when I called them a while ago. Can any NY BN'rs confirm this?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Is this and Leather Oud available in the 150ml sizes? I don't see it on their website. Thanks.

I haven't been to the store but when I called them, they told me they don't have any of the fragrances in the Collection.

Dior Online wrote me back when I inquired -

Thank You for contacting Dior Beauty.

Our Las Vegas Boutique will have the small bottle soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Dior boutiques, in New York, have them. They've (for whatever reason) split them up between the men's and women's stores...at least that's what the Dior SA told me when I called them a while ago. Can any NY BN'rs confirm this?

"Look at that subtle off-white coloring; the tasteful shape of it..oh my God, it even has a flower behind it!"

I need to find and try this!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Is this and Leather Oud available in the 150ml sizes? I don't see it on their website. Thanks.
    I think that they don`t exist in 150ml, but in 125, 250 and 500ml.

This stuff is fantastic!
    It certainly is... in fact, I'd even go as far to say......... IT'S DIVINE!!!

It looks like the smaller size bottles (if you consider 4.25 oz as small) of the entire LA COLLECTION PRIVÉE CHRISTIAN DIOR are now available from the official Dior site.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_SHAVER View Post
    It certainly is... in fact, I'd even go as far to say......... IT'S DIVINE!!!
    Yep you are right! This is certainly awesome, I just got a big bottle, perfect for the warmer weather coming.

This one I really want to experience. I called the Dior boutique here in Honolulu and they do not have this. They suggested the New York or Los Angeles (I think) store to contact. It's not easy to purcahse the bottle without actually testing it however.. Maybe one day they'll have it here.

I wore this about three days ago and I fell in love. The drydown is what I love best when I smell bitter oakmoss and nutty sandalwood. Must...buy...soon...

Basenotes Institution

I got a decant of this (finally!) a couple days ago and I wore it today, since I usually reserve really-good-fragrances for Friday's at the office, as a treat to myself for making it through the week.

GOSH, this stuff is lovely.

Would anyone compare this at all to Eau de Sud by Annick Goutal (which I have never smelled), which has been described as a salty citrus eaux?

-- Eckhart Tolle

You sold me, Mike! Just got a 10ml decant from Posh Peasant. Thanks for the tip! I'm in total spring mode right now and this sounds perfect.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    You sold me, Mike! Just got a 10ml decant from Posh Peasant. Thanks for the tip! I'm in total spring mode right now and this sounds perfect.
    Cool - please post your thoughts once you smell it.

I realized wearing it yesterday, that the green notes remind me a bit of those wonderful eucalyptus notes in Windsor, but with no rose and none of that phantom fig leaf/coconut I get from the Creed. Still, it's rather crisp and unique and it's that salty aspect in the scent that sets it apart.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I got a decant of this (finally!) a couple days ago and I wore it today, since I usually reserve really-good-fragrances for Friday's at the office, as a treat to myself for making it through the week.

Would anyone compare this at all to Eau de Sud by Annick Goutal (which I have never smelled), which has been described as a salty citrus eaux?
    Congrats on getting your decant Mike! I guess I'll cave in sooner rather than later. I had a sample of EdS that I wore last year and I remember it being a slightly more herbal counterpart to Eau d'Hadrien which made it more interesting. I don't think they are very much similar at all actually. Granville is way more distinctive and unique. It's the pine and citrus that creates this grainy texture to the scent that makes the topnotes so vivid. When I wore it, I was reminded (even though I haven't been there), by those beaches with rock pebbles that are located near the edges of forests. The thing that sold me though was the drydown. It turned very bitter and the slightly creamy sandalwood gave a nice balance.

Basenotes Plus

Trying this on right now... I gotta agree, it IS lovely. Very uplifting. Reminds me somewhat of Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio or Acqua Santa by La Via Del Profumo. I think we have a winner here, folks.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 8th May 2011 at 05:19 PM.

Just been sampling and wearing Dior - Granville all day yesterday. This thread is hyping! Sorry to put a 'neutral' opinion in and dampen this thread.
    I found Granville well made and balanced. It initially captured the greens quite well. Longevity was very good. Overall it is worthy of being a notable scent.
    For me the compliments end here!
    The most important part to me is not the bottle or the packaging BUT the actual smell.
    How many of you BNers keep mothballs in a bottom of a wooden draw. That is what it closely related to for me! It became a constant reminder on my skin that I smelt of old wooden camphorous draws. No sensual or attraction in the dry down.
    Once again my apologies if I have offended any one!

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Once again my apologies if I have offended any one!
    Your nose belongs to you; no need to apologize.

Honest reviews are always helpful, and yours has made me more interested: A green, camphoraceous designer fragrance? Well, there's something you don't see every day...

Yes, the camphoraceous note is a selling-point for me as well. I appreciate a slightly medicinal tone in a fragrance. Gotta try this! It sounds fantastic!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Basenotes Institution

There is a candle by Voluspa named 'Golden Cypress Sawara' that reminds me of the smell of Granville.

It's that very slight whiff of Christmas tree that is just enough to make this comfy while still maintaining it's olfactory panorama of a seaside resort full of the smells of trees and seawater.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks to the generosity of mike, I have a little sample of this and can report on it.
    I realize that I am really hard to please on pine notes. I may have an impossible, holy grail expectation of the sensation of a walk through invigorating woods...
    On my skin, Granville is a very herbal scent. I don't really much (if any) of what I think of as pine notes. If I really search, I might find a bit of a minty note which I attribute more to the rosemary than pine.
    Notes apparently are: mandarin, lemon, thyme, rosemary, pine needles, black pepper, sandalwood, gorse.
    As mike notes, this starts with a lovely, classy and old-school sort of EdC opening -- quite citrusy and a bit herbal. The scent is dry, and invigorating. Fairly quickly it gets much more aromatic and herbal. The thyme and gorse give this what I'd call a "garrigue" vibe. The scent gets fairly dense and even a bit soapy. The strong herbal note and its heft reminds me of CdG Laurel, and the outdoorsy/field note reminds me a bit of SMN Broom. At times the herbs have a celery-leaf or even rubbery note.
    Bottom line: an excellent herbal scent. I find it to be substantial. I like it better than CdG Laurel (which I find too heavy). But I don't get much pine here.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

Interesting perceptions Ody.

I made the same connections (in texture) to the Monocle x CdG scent as you did, but to me the Granville is just a tiny bit more 'alive' whereas the Laurel can get very 'kitchen spice' for me and almost smells like a room candle or the smell of a place, rather than a fragrance. I have to really be in the mood to wear Scent Two: Laurel, but when it comes to Granville I find it extremely easy to wear.

I also think I am much more sensitive to pine than you are. There are a handful of pine prominent scents that I cannot wear because they give me a splitting headache (Blenheim Bouquet comes to mind). As a child, I had sensitivities to the smell of PineSol floor cleaner that my mother would use to clean the house. Not sure if this is just an allergic reaction or what. Still, I suffer for this, because honestly I love the accord. I just have to be careful not to over do it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm glad you've seen this, mike, since I know how much you like Granville.
    I've been pondering a (perhaps) radical question -- how similar are Granville and.... Pino Silvestre?
    I don't say that because I have Pino Silvestre on the brain! I know its strengths and limitations.
    But consider the following.
    Granville: mandarin - lemon. Thyme - rosemary. Pine. Black pepper. Sandalwood. "Gorse"
    Pino: bergamot - lemon - bigarade. Lavender - thyme - clary sage - juniper - clove. Cedarwood - Sandalwood. Tree moss. Amber
    For me, the spicy notes and thyme dominate in each. And for me, they present in a very similar way. Admittedly the Granville is smoother and classier... but that is a judgement call.
    I will do a side-by-side soon and see. Perhaps others might also weigh in on this issue!
    odysseusm

I did the side-by-side today. This was an interesting experience, I learned a lot about each scent.

Granville: lovely EdC opening. Quickly goes aromatic-herbal. An earthy note (like soil) -- the gorse? In comparison to Pino Silvestre, this is elegant, classy, somehow "finer". Perhaps I can detect a slight pine note now.

Pino Silvestre: The lavender and juniper give a bright, bold aspect to the opening. The clove is quite prominent. In comparison to Granville, this is bolder, more barbershop in style, heavier. The clove-thyme note is rather heavy and the scent at times is slightly sweeter than Granville.

I do continue to think that the two scents share several features. In the drydown (apart from the clove note in Pino) they are quite similar.
    odysseusm

Thanks for the side by side odysseusm.

Due here in the Dior flagship store soon, I am told - patience is a virtue

The more I read the more impatient I am to try this.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 14th July 2011 at 04:56 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I have only smelled Pino Silvestre once, somewhere in some far-flung seaside town in Germany - steps away from my tour bus that got me there from my cruise ship a couple of years ago. Honestly, I NEVER see it here in pharmacies in Miami. Weird. From my memory I remember it smelling very rough and raw in the beginning, like you mention Ody. It just smelled 'older'. And I do not mean this as an insult - I happen to love many 'old' smelling fragrances.

Granville, on the other hand, is so finely woven and crafted - and I must mention it again...that salty aspect of the fragrance really differentiates it in my mind. I love the mixture of the green, the aromatics and the salt.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm trying Granville again today. I'd largely forgotten the specifics of our discussion, but came to some similar conclusions and a new one.
    I find that the opening is one of the most gorgeous EdC chords I've experienced: excellent citrus cloud framed by light herbal notes. This phase is pronounced but brief. The scent settles into a very sophisticated, compelling herbal scent. It is natural, invigorating, and invited lots of wrist-sniffing. I'd say this an excellent garrigue sort of scent. The pine notes (for me) aren't really there, maybe if I use my imagination I'm getting some fresh rosemary and the echo of very distant pines. No matter, this is a brilliant scent. It does bear some resemblance (in my opinion) to Pino Silvestre but it has refinement and grace in abundance.
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

Glad to hear that you're getting more out of repeated wearings Ody. The fact that it is such a true 'garrigue' to you warms my heart to hear, since whenever I encounter scents like these I always inwardly think of you and wonder what you would think of them. This is what happened when I first smelled Granville.

I have already gone through my decant and am securing a larger bottle split now. I thoroughly enjoyed wearing this on my recent trip to Washington DC for the 1st time. The smell of Granville in inextricably tied to walking around The National Mall, on a hot Friday afternoon...sweating, engulfed by tourists, traffic and huge national monuments everywhere you turned. It will always remind me of this wonderful, very 'American' day with it's whiffs of citrus, greens, salt and herbs.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Haven't tried it.

I'm hoping Demachy did a good job.

I tried this once, then regrettably bought it on impulse. Glad one of my sisters like it.

It starts out with a citric burst that is herbal, rather spiced in nature. About an hour to 2 later its all menthol and pine'y.
    Too much pine and menthol for me. Perhaps because I am very warm blooded, the menthol effect was overwhelming and I tend to like overwhelming perfumes.

for swap/sale:

What are the sillage and longevity like?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    What are the sillage and longevity like?
    Both are above average. Disclaimer: When I wear it I always wear 6-7 sprays.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the tip Mr.MP23! Sounds like it's right up my alley. Need to sample soon.

Hi just smelled Eau de Sud by Goutal. A shop had it on tester so I was able to give it a try. On paper, the notes looked excellent (citrus, herbal). On my skin, it almost immediately developed a very unpleasant, brackish-sour note which I attribute to its particular combination of patchouli and oakmoss. It is nothing at all like the vibrant and piney-fresh Granville!
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I tried this once, then regrettably bought it on impulse. Glad one of my sisters like it.

It starts out with a citric burst that is herbal, rather spiced in nature. About an hour to 2 later its all menthol and pine'y.
    Too much pine and menthol for me. Perhaps because I am very warm blooded, the menthol effect was overwhelming and I tend to like overwhelming perfumes.
    This is the fascinating thing about perfume -- there is so much that is personal reaction. I agree with your description, and for me that sort of dry-down is IDEAL. :-)
    odysseusm

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Hi just smelled Eau de Sud by Goutal. A shop had it on tester so I was able to give it a try. On paper, the notes looked excellent (citrus, herbal). On my skin, it almost immediately developed a very unpleasant, brackish-sour note which I attribute to its particular combination of patchouli and oakmoss. It is nothing at all like the vibrant and piney-fresh Granville!
    Oh I have smelled that brackish-sour note before, ugh. Although I will try to sample EdS whenever I can. For now my large replacement decant of Granville is in being acquired very soon. Yay!

-- Eckhart Tolle

This is the fascinating thing about perfume -- there is so much that is personal reaction. I agree with your description, and for me that sort of dry-down is IDEAL. :-)
    Glad you like it. I wish i could like it. It's so high quality.

for swap/sale:

Granville sounds amazing, it just moved to the top of my "to sample" list next time I'm near a Dior boutique. I adore pine fragrances!

Is Granville similar to Blenheim Bouquet?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Robert G. View Post
    Is Granville similar to Blenheim Bouquet?
    IMO, no.

The Penhaligon's is very 'cold' smelling, the pine is very strident and sharp and there are no herbs/aromatics or saltiness at all.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I dont know whether to be happy or to be sad that it will take some time for them to arrive here...
    Smellin good

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

?....No matter, this is a brilliant scent. It does bear some resemblance (in my opinion) to Pino Silvestre but it has refinement and grace in abundance.
    I am totally in agreement with Ody here.

My first impression was "Pino Silvestre" but the opening, so well articulated by mikeperez23, promised something more refined and worth the cost of this frag. A few hours into the wearing I get mostly pine off my skin and would choose this long lasting beauty over the stark Blenheim Bouquet any day. It does not matter that I have Pino already but, alas, budget constraints made me opt for a bottle of Leather Oud instead.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Finally found Granville here and it was worth waiting for.

The top has a beautifully bitter, crisp citrus that feels utterly classic. I can see how some have made the Eau Sauvage comment elsewhere - the Dior DNA is evident to me. However there is also a modern edge, slightly sharper than something from a decade or more ago, and I think that is the pepper note making itself known from the outset. It underpins and complements the citrus nicely while also signalling that this is not as predictable as you might expect.

The herbal aspect comes forward over the next hour so and the citrus settles into this, effortlessly. I don't perceive pine so much as a gorse, broom, scrub on a hillside vibe and I think I now have a clearer idea of what 'Garrigue' really means. In time this herbal aspect, particularly the thyme note, becomes more clearly recognisable to me, with the pepper keeping the whole thing on it's toes.

I notice that oakmoss is listed so presumably our meagre 0.1% ration is there but for me at least, it seems to provide a palpable but phantom presence of natural space around the shrubbery, rather than being there in sufficient quantity to evoke anything physical like a forest floor. Nice that it's there at all and I don't doubt that if Mr. Demachy had skipped it entirely the harmony and aura of this composition would actually suffer from it's absence. Granville has a very natural outdoorsy and breezy presence that a lot of modern 'green' scents don't, frankly - the soil it's rooted in is hinted at, even if you can't rub it through your fingers. It's a beautiful piece of work IMO and one probably best appreciated by those who respect the tradition that gave birth to it - unlikely this will become a 'niche baby' hot pick of the month.

I have only worn it out twice so these are initial impressions - it usually takes me a while to appreciate the nuances. It stays with me right thru the day just fine - very happy to have another modern take on a classic theme to enjoy. Some care has gone into this one.

Mike, Ody and others - thanks for doing the prep work - by the time I actually got to meet this one I felt as if we had already spoken on the phone . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 6th February 2012 at 07:21 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Glad to hear it clicks with your mr. r, I found Granville easy to love and I'm interested to see how it's going to wear in cooler weather as it performs like a rock star in hot weather.

-- Eckhart Tolle

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Today i had my first full wear of the beauty that is Granville. It is everything good that has been rightly said about it. Still getting rich wafts of pine forest off my chest 13+ hours after application. One of my best recent purchases.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The day I wore it the most was a day when my body temperature was very high. It was summer, the ACs at work were having a prolonged maintenance shutdown and I'd drank a few hot drinks.

The pine (menthol) aspect made me nauseous.

for swap/sale:

Funny, I was looking for this thread today!

I wore this around the house today and for a split second, I detected an uncanny resemblance to Mugler's Cologne; resemblance in feel and "hissiness"...if that makes any sense Did anyone get that connection?