Code of Conduct

Thread: Youth Dew?

Default Youth Dew?

Just want to start off by telling everyone thank you so much for all your suggestions and help you have all given me so far. This is a really nice forum, and I enjoy being on here! I'm slowly learning! Youth Dew..I have always loved this scent, and it smells so nice on others, but not on me. Does this mean spicy scents are not for me and my skin chemistry, etc.? I do well with green scents, but wish I could find something like Youth Dew that liked me!! Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I left a message on your other post.
    Thanks...sorry about the extra post. Site is slow this morning and I didn't think it took the other post....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    Thanks...sorry about the extra post. Site is slow this morning and I didn't think it took the other post....

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Youth Dew?

Welcome, moonbeam!
    What you want to try then are "soft orientals". http://www.osmoz.com/encyclopedia/ol...s/5/oriental-w

Basenotes Plus

Welcome, moonbeam!
    What you want to try then are "soft orientals". http://www.osmoz.com/encyclopedia/ol...s/5/oriental-w

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes Moonbeam!
    You should try Habanita by Molinard which is a rich incense type frag that has strong longevity and projection like Youth Dew.
    You could also try Estee lauder's Azuree, Estee Lauder's Alliage, Chanel No.22 and Guerlain Mitsouko EDP.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Welcome Moonbeam. I'm not new, and I'm still learning. Don't give up on the first try, try YD in a different form, spray vs. oil vs solid perfume, or at a different time of day (or month). Soft oriental sounds like a great start. I would recommend Royal Secret II, it's soft with a nice drydown, and not expensive. Also Galimar from Galimard gets me lots of compliments. happy hunting!!! And thank goodness for trial sizes/samples. One niche perfume house I love is Olympic Orchids. There are many ample samples (over 15) for 25.00. Providence is another niche with amazing fragrances. (not affiliated, etc)

I know what you mean about Youth Dew. I loooove Youth Dew...just not on me. I find that very thick and spicy orientals, though I enjoy smelling them on others, can be overpowering on me and overstay their welcome, just hovering on top of my skin like a thick cloud, not morphing into the fabulosity it does on others. Oh well. That said, I have discovered that I can tame some heavier orientals by wearing them under my clothes, on my abdomen and on my back between my shoulder blades -- and away from my neck and face -- so that I get intermittant whiffs of the scent throughout the day coming up from beneath my clothes. Sometimes I can wear the body lotion/cream and/or dusting powder (I love the old classics in powders) solely, and the edp or edt is not needed. So maybe try a different form of the fragrance, and try wearing it under clothing for a more muted effect. Youth Dew is a major heavy hitter. Just thinking about it makes me want to go have a drop, but the Mister hates YD and it is too late now to sneak some before bedtime. One drop will perfume (or stink up, as some say) the entire room. Welcome, and I hope you will enjoy exploring.

Hello Moonbeam - I understand your problem with Youth Dew, because I didn't take to the EdP at all. On me it smelled like nothing so much as cherry cola with a few odd spices added. But the Bath Oil is superb on my skin! Quite different, and really beautiful. I'd suggest you go to the nearest EL counter and ask to try a dab of bath oil on your wrist, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Basenotes Institution

Many good suggestions already above.

You might also want to try the Youth Dew flanker that Lauder released years ago (and discontinued) when Tom Ford was working for them, Youth Dew Amber Nude. You can still find it online. Good stuff.

I happen to adore the smell of Youth Dew on others and on me. Like redrose and lilybelle mentioned above, I wear the Bath Oil, lightly applied, FAR AWAY from my face, buried under my clothes. Worn this way, it smells absolutely perfect.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I love YD too, but fortunately it loves me back. I agree with everyone else regarding trying different body products. I find that the body lotion and the scented powder give you a softer, more diffuse version of YD. Good luck!