Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for earth/wood/evening-wear fragrances suitable for younger people?

Hi all,

I bought a tiny bottle of Terre d'Hermes over the weekend to try it out, and I really like it. I don't really have anything like it in my wardrobe, so this is definitely a nice change. Trouble is I feel i'm not quite old enough to wear this regularly just yet (only 20 years old). Right now I mainly have fresher daytime scents (Boss Bottled, Rive Gauche, Versace PH), and i've been looking for something I can wear during evenings out to maybe a restaurant, or just general evening fragrance. I've also been looking to try out M7, though i've yet to find any samples of it in stores near me.

Anyway, I really love the masculine earthy/woody vibe you get from TdH, so does anyone have any suggestions on fragrances with similar notes that a younger person can get away with too?
    Last edited by Smeghead; 18th October 2009 at 01:02 AM.

Default Re: Suggestions for earth/wood/evening-wear fragrances suitable for younger people?

My recommendation is u can get away with Terre d'Hermes no problem.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Suggestions for earth/wood/evening-wear fragrances suitable for younger people?

If you like Terre d'Hermes, wear it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Unless you think you will offend someone you are trying to impress, what's the problem with TdH?

M7 is pretty heavy and has an 80s feel. For evening wear for someone your age (not a whole lot younger than I), I would suggest Burberry Brit for Men and Gucci Envy for Men.

TdH is a sexy cologne for the young and old.

So are M7, Creed, and everything by Hermes.

Though young women may be familiar with AXE, Hugo Boss, Old Spice, and Lacoste, Victoria’s Secret for Men, and Aqua De Gio, the problem is you'll smell like all their ex-boyfriends.

So much for peacocking!

I wore anything I wanted at twenty.

If you want earthy/woody, there's nothing better than Yatagan. It's not the animalic beast people make it out to be. In fact it's the essence of mature gentlemanliness, or in your case, young gentlemanliness. It has enough character for seven or eight of the average fragrances. Timbuktu is also excellent, a little more expensive. Both are miles ahead of Terre d'Hermes. Declaration could be the most practical choice. It's much richer than TdH and just smells ridiculously good. It's made by the same guy who did TdH, and it's about the same price. It's a significantly more satisfying fragrance than TdH, and I've never known a woman who didn't go ape sh*t over it.

You're twenty, man. You can do anything.

So have fun.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th October 2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: rust

I Don't understand how someone can wear Rive Gauche and not TdH due to the perceived " appropriate age " for a frag, I Enjoy RG but Feel like I should try to grow up a bit more (about 5-10 years) before I could truly pull it off. but TdH to my nose feels very ageless, anyone from Highschool to their 80's should be able to pull it off with no problem.

anyway, Try something like Mugler cologne or Paul Smith Story. You might like those.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

With the young the one thing they don't wish to be associated with is 'old'.
    "I don't wish to smell like my father/uncle/grandma etc." Doesn't matter if the father smells darn good. That's how they often end up with the same boring 'new releases'. Which is funny cuz when I was that age, I always wanted to be 'different' and would avoid what everyone else seems to be wearing.

Btw try Encre Noir. It feels timeless.

Burberry Brit or London.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    With the young the one thing they don't wish to be associated with is 'old'.
    "I don't wish to smell like my father/uncle/grandma etc." Doesn't matter if the father smells darn good. That's how they often end up with the same boring 'new releases'. Which is funny cuz when I was that age, I always wanted to be 'different' and would avoid what everyone else seems to be wearing.
    I know! When I was twenty, I was eager to seem sophisticated!

Look, you are twenty. YOU are young. You don't need your fragrance to be young for you. Honestly, I associate the whole "I want to look/smell/dress YOUNG" not with actual young people, but with sad and pathetic Cougars in spandex and their midlife-crisis husbands with paunches and combovers.

A young man in TdH sounds wonderful to me....what he is saying to the world is that he isn't just some other little boy swimming in Aquatic Of The Month....he's a man! And a very nice-smelling one, at that!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

I wear TdH and I'm 26 (a little older than you).

I can also recommend Gucci Pour Homme, Dirty English ( I really like this one it's worth a try), Black Walnut by Banana Republic, even Tommy Bahama (original) is good
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    I Don't understand how someone can wear Rive Gauche and not TdH due to the perceived " appropriate age " for a frag
    LOL I couldn't agree with this more.

If you're into frags, I don't think there are many you need to avoid due to your age.

Some of the very old classics maybe, but most contemporary scents like TdH should be fine.

Bigger thing to look out for is not to over apply. I see a lot of that with people your age.

Maybe Antaeus, BDP, Esencia Loewe, Ungaro III, Rocabar by Hermes
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 30th October 2009 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    I Don't understand how someone can wear Rive Gauche and not TdH due to the perceived " appropriate age " for a frag
    Yeah...that's what I thought too. I don't think Boss Bottled and Rive Gauche are "fresher" than TdH.

You should just wear TdH.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 30th October 2009 at 08:26 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

dude, im younger than you and I wear Hermes, if its good ill wear

I aint worrying about no age
    Last edited by Young Dro; 31st October 2009 at 12:47 AM.

For an earthy, woody fragrance suitable for younger people I would suggest Jack Black Signature Black Mark. I wore it quite a bit in my early twenties, and it is still one of my favorites. Saffron, coriander and cedar, soft and slightly sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I always wanted to be 'different' and would avoid what everyone else seems to be wearing.

Btw try Encre Noir. It feels timeless.
    There will always be leaders and followers in this world, but the followers usually find themselves on the tail end of fashion trends which are constantly evolving. Right now, younger women on the cutting edge are branching out into the classics and more substantial smelling scents. Is there some social law that says you have to wear a fragrance appropriate for a 15 yr old when you are in your 20's just so you don't smell like Grandpa?

Here's what I would go by...

Does it smell good to you? Do you love it? Is it appropriate for the occasion? Wood works well on everyone, you can certainly get other scents to suit different occasions too if you like.

Terre d'Hermes was introduced in 2006. What's old about that?

If you like it, it will wear you, not the other way around.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Does it smell good to you? Do you love it? Is it appropriate for the occasion? Wood works well on everyone, you can certainly have other scents to suit different occasions too if you like.

I would tend to agree with pluran. Yatagan has a sophistication and pleasant manliness that is hard to beat. It is # 2 in my entire collection. As far as more modern woody fragrances, you should try Visit by Azarro. Nutmeg and cedar/gaiacwood are prominent notes throughout it's life, and at first I thought it to be too woody, but it has really grown on me. It is masculine and modern (and longevity is really good), and the stronger woody notes are nicely tempered by the incense. Don't worry too much about what to wear at a certain age. I agree there are some older 'classics' a younger guy might want to avoid (mainly because of over-projection issues), but pretty much......if YOU like it and think it smells good on you, go for it. My first fragrance was Tabac Original which I received as a gift at 14. I loved it and everyone around me pretty much seemed to agree that it smelled great. That was in 1972. Tabac was launched in 1959. I have continued to wear it for over 35 years and still love it. Custom tailor your scents for the occasion as beachroses said. Wear what you want and what you like and feel comfortable wearing, regardless of anyone else's age/fragrance (mis-)perceptions.
    Last edited by SillageMonger; 2nd November 2009 at 08:51 AM.

I'm 21 and wear Terre d'Hermes alot - definitely in my top 5. My girlfriend also really likes it.
    Others in a similar vein -
    Kenzo Kenzoair (lighter, more vetiver / anise)
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man (Smokier, woodier, with a bit more incense)
    Gucci pour Homme (similar to 2 man but more 'raw' wood without the smoke)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post

Does it smell good to you? Do you love it? Is it appropriate for the occasion? Wood works well on everyone, you can certainly have other scents to suit different occasions too if you like.
    However, if it makes you feel uncomfortable and you feel you can't pull it off then by all means try other frags listed here. Saw Dirty English, Azzaro Visit, Black Walnut Banana Republic...> try Cordovan by Banana Republic too... those are both might be to your liking. Take all comments with a grain of salt and test away! It's the fun part!

Banned
    Blog Entries

dirty english, gucci pour homme, express reserve and also the dsquared line..

Comore Homme by Montana

If you wanted to be different, going on the notes that you want, I would consider Smelll of Weather Turning by LUSH.

This has an amazing wet earth / concrete smell (after raining) then segues nicley into mint and smoke.

Encre Noir for a good cheapie...or Chanel Sycamore for something more refined.

Dirty English

A great choice,
    You can go for Guerlain vetiver as well

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is woody but with spices and citrus as well, fairly young-ish in my opinion. Frankly if you're comfortable wearing Rive Gauche I don't think there's much you can wear that will make you smell "old".