Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 64
  1. #1

    Default Do you agree with this?

    Would you agree with the following statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice lean towards designer scents; people who want their frags to smell interesting lean towards niche".

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    82,367

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No I do not agree with that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No. But perhaps people who think a lot about smelling nice or interesting (as opposed to those who spend a few minutes in Boots picking out a new fragrance) are more likely to discover niche.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    To a degree, yes (sort of).

    But that's based on the fact that the question's premise is highly subjective.
    Last edited by Partario; 24th January 2013 at 08:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    many people on basenotes will find your statement politically incorrect or even offensive.

    but i find it overall correct. with some exceptions, but overall true.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Plus
    senore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NEW YORK CITY
    Posts
    3,854
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Yes, in my humble opinion. But as Noirdrakkar has already pointed out, there are exceptions.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No, absolutely not.

    This is "painting a with a broad brush" that diminishes the virtues of 100's of classics that have defined what scent is today, and smell just as interesting today as they did the day they came out. And, I am not knocking niche at all. From a Zen perspective, everything is unique unto itself.

    I will refer to the metaphor foreshadowed above - all the creations of scent are but dots on a canvas, that make up the incredible world of fragrance (all the shades from light to dark in the spectrum). It is similar to 'Pointillism' and the beautiful & famous painting, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by the brilliant artist, Georges Seurat. It was "created" over two entire years, debuting in 1884. He would go back and perfect the work time and time again.

    This is the "world of scent" to me - revisiting each bottle (symbolized by a "dot") until we truly understand and deeply connect with a scent...and build associations to it ourselves. We have to remember that each dot is a 'bottle' of unique composition that completes the painting.

    I could add more...but will leave my thought at that. Perhaps someone else would like to comment and add their perspective to this.

    Cheers,

    ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  9. #9

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Well, by definintion, niche is a targeted to a small sub-set of users, so there is some truth to that... "interesting" may not sell well at the department store counters if it smells like feet or feces. Where people who are a little "unique" in their tastes can find a fragrance in the niche market to fit any desire (for the most part).Most "mainstream" people want a fragrance to smell nice (clean, etc), and will find that normally in the "designer" realm. But since some non-designer houses also make the generally-accepted type fragrances, your statement is not 100% accurate. But not stereotype or generalization is.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I want my fragrances to smell a bit different but I still have to like them. Whether they be niche or designer is neither here nor there so, whilst I understand where you are coming from, I have to disagree with what you say. I do appreciate that most 'unusual' scents will be, or are more likely to be, niche however.

  11. #11
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,952

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    It is the individual fragrances and not the category that matters

  12. #12

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No. I believe it's an individual's preference. Good question though.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,346

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I would probably lean more towards agreeing with the second part of the sentence over the first part but I disagree with both.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I agree overall. Designer scents are aimed to please the general consumer while niche houses take more risks in creating something unique.
    Top 3:

    1. Dior Homme
    2. Diptyque Philosykos
    3. Burberry London
    4. Hermessence Ambre Narguilé
    5. Creed Green Irish Tweed

  15. #15

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No.

    People buy what they enjoy. I think Light Blue is bland and you may agree, but it's a huge seller. The people who buy it probably like it and find it interesting. People buy what they enjoy. It really is that simple.

    Niche houses exist because not everyone's tastes are satisfied entirely by mainstream scents.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  16. #16

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Nope.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Smelling nice and interesting often go hand in hand, I'd say. Some of the most disliked stinkers are designer (Kouros, A*Men, plenty of "old man's" scents, I'd assume, too).

  18. #18

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It is the individual fragrances and not the category that matters
    Classically I would agree with this, as in the case of vintage stuff I can see this ringing true, but I really can't honestly believe that fragrances in the vein of HdP's Petroleum, MKK, Secretions Magnifiques, Xerjoff's Zafar, Lonestar Memories, Onda, Absolu Poir le Soir, Comme des Garcons 2011, etc. would ever even be considered to be released by the likes of Dior, YSL, Armani, CK, Hermes, or any other designer house in the last 15 years. I would consider those all, much too "interesting" for most designer outfits.

    Though the word "interesting" in itself is quite subjective.
    Last edited by Partario; 25th January 2013 at 08:06 AM.

  19. #19
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,339

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    The statement does beg for definitions, such as what is meant by "nice", "interesting", "niche".

    I think everything I wear is nice, even the ones that aren't especially accessible. There are fragrances I consider nice like Chanel 22, or interesting like Odeur 53 that I never wear.

    There is an implication in some of the answers that niche perfumers are trying to be offbeat and wanting to have their market be small, but that's hard for me to believe. I think every perfumer wants to make great, nice, interesting perfume and would love it to be the most popular perfume in the world. That's quite an aspiration in a very competitive marketplace with much of the distribution stacked toward designers. By the same token, even the perfumers who create for the big houses are probably trying to make original compositions that will stand out from the crowd, in a good way, so as to maximize sales while at the same time being interesting. Niche perfumers may have some more leeway to experiment more because their margins are lower, but I still think everyone wants to have a positive return on investment.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Me personally, I order Niche samples every week just because of the art and unique experience within it. I wear niche mainly for myself to enjoy this form of art. However, when i go out, around people, etc.. i normally wear designers. Obviously most designers are more wearable than niche. But, i still wear niche because it also smells good (most at least), not just because its interesting. This is how i would rephrase the statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice while being easily wearable lean towards designer scents. People who want their frags to smell interesting and nice lean towards niche."

    No matter what the case may be , everyone wants their frags to smell NICE!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Would you agree with the following statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice lean towards designer scents; people who want their frags to smell interesting lean towards niche".
    No. There's nothing interesting about having to spend a huge amount of money for a bottle of cologne.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I started to believe that more often than not so called niche is just an inflated balloon with some exceptions ( say Lutens which actually is Shiseido) I 've found more masterpieces in the designers' scents area, IMO
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

  24. #24

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Yes, overall I DO agree. it's not factual, but it does loosely describe my opinion.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Let's cut to the chase; I started out with designer scents but I'm leaning toward the niche market because I know that most "Joe Blow's" aren't going to pay premium dollar not to smell like everybody else in my quest for the "holy grail" (which I'm quite sure I will never find).
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

  26. #26

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by cadenz View Post
    Let's cut to the chase; I started out with designer scents but I'm leaning toward the niche market because I know that most "Joe Blow's" aren't going to pay premium dollar not to smell like everybody else in my quest for the "holy grail" (which I'm quite sure I will never find).
    usually Joe Blow wears his body odours proudly!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

  27. #27

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I don't agree at all, Nice and Interesting shouldn't be mutally exclusive.

    The idealogy of something smelling 'nice' is down to the perception of the person smelling it. The vast majority of designer scents may not be interesting to people with years of experience as they will either be made to a budget and the general quality isn't there or as an offshoot of them being created to chart well the notes will be familiar. There are lots of exceptions and many excellent designer scents.

    If none of my niche scents smelled 'nice' I wouldn't even bother wearing them. I think the biggest problem with generalisations is the divide from the people who try a little too hard to wear a designer and dismiss niche like some kind of badge of honour vs the people who don't even bother with designer scents.

    The answer to your question for me is a big No. Interesting doesn't have to be challenging and Nice doesn't have to be safe.
    Last edited by Kron; 25th January 2013 at 12:17 PM.

  28. #28
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,618

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Would you agree with the following statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice lean towards designer scents; people who want their frags to smell interesting lean towards niche".
    I disagree. People like what they like. Doesn't really matter if it's from niche or designer. There are interestingly complex designer fragrances as there are simple nice smelling niche. You just need to be more discerning. And cast that net wider.

  29. #29
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,570

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    In a word, "no".
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  30. #30

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    As a broad idea that is not even trying to capture all the cases, I'd say yes. But asking a question like this only leads to hundred people coming here and telling you that it's all subjective and that there are exceptions. Of course, this is trivially true. But that kind of statement can still make sense to a certain degree.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Would you agree with the following statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice lean towards designer scents; people who want their frags to smell interesting lean towards niche".
    Not exactly, but there is more variety within the niche market and the niche market is where you're going to find the real oddball scents or very specific scents. At the same time there's plenty of "nice" frags within niche as well. So I think you can say that people looking for unusual scents or very unique ones will lean toward niche. But when I just want to smell nice I look at both. I may start with designer for the simple fact that its cheaper, but not because its more likely to have frags that smell "nice."
    Paris*L.A. is an excellent new gourmand from A Lab On Fire. If you're looking for a fun, new fragrance for this winter, check it out!

  32. #32
    Dcampbell
    Guest

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I will admit I do try to buy niche when I can for the "rare" factor, but I want to smell good no matter designer or niche. Yes niche does in my opinon, push the envelope when it comes to more exotic smells, but there is really no limits when it comes to what niche houses use in the development of a fragrance.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    usually Joe Blow wears his body odours proudly!
    Saving the money some of us spent on niche perfumes that smell like sweaty reproductive glands?

    Maybe they're on to something lol

  34. #34
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    262

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Ha ha ha. No. Not even a little tiny bit. I think that's along the lines of dismissing any art that doesn't have a recognisable figurative subject in a popular style as "not attractive", and saying that people who buy Thomas Kinkade or Robert Bateman want art that looks "nice" and people who buy Julie Mehretu want art that looks "interesting".

    The most significant thing about actual niche perfumers, to me, is not expense or exclusivity, but the fact that they are not so confined by the demands of shareholders and marketplace, and thereby restricted to what is popular, or what does well in focus groups, or what is defined as the "global fragrance trend of the year" by (coincidentally!) the companies that make the artificial esters used in fragrance. A genuinely niche company or independent perfumer has the liberty to follow her or his own instincts and tastes, and to play with combinations that may not be sanctioned by tradition or fashion. And sure, sometimes that may end in a place that is more interesting than pleasant -- but just as with modern or experimental art, a lot of it will be beautiful as well, if perhaps in an unexpected way or a way that hasn't been done before.

    And then that will be appropriated by the popular market, just as modern art was and is -- to the point that you can see abstract "art" prints on the wall of your local McDonalds.

    (My opinion, of course, may be highly influenced by the fact that I don't, actually, find most popular fragrances smell nice or even pleasant to me -- indeed, I find the vast majority of them unbearable.)

    (Moreover, I think a lot of people who buy name-brand fragrances aren't even buying them because THEY think they smell nice. They buy them because of the name, or because all their friends have bought them, or because the beauty blogs they read flog them hard and they want to stay on trend, and they don't particularly think about the actual scent as long as they don't find it actively offensive. I used to do this in high school myself, trying to fit in; the trouble was that I would then find the fragrance offensive when it was in close proximity to my person.)

  35. #35

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Would you agree with the following statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice lean towards designer scents; people who want their frags to smell interesting lean towards niche".
    No, because that's implying that generally niche isn't nice and designers aren't interesting.

  36. #36
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    There are definitely those who bash the popular "scent for the masses" only b/c "average people" like them...see the Paco Rabinne 1 Million thread for examples. AND those who follow the masses and praise whatever is popular. There are also those who Praise any piss that a popular Niche house may put out. BUT for the most part, people like/dislike based on their honest preferences. I lose respect for those who say they wouldn't wear a fragrance b/c a teenager also happens to like it. OR who praise the worst smelling most boring Creed/Tom Ford, etc. as "Wonderful!"
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  37. #37

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    There are too many personal tastes, preferences etc., as well as too diversified fragrance houses, both niche and designer, to agree with this particular statement.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Possum-Pie, that's the worst reason for not respecting people I've heard in a long time - perhaps ever. Why should everybody think like you and just wear what they thinks smell good?

    We just happen to live in a social world and wearing a certain fragrance is a statement of sorts. Wearing Le Male is not a statement I want to make. Just like I wouldn't wear Ed Hardy clothes. Realizing that our decisions are not simply about "liking" something, but they carry other meanings, only help us understand ourselves better.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 25th January 2013 at 03:33 PM.

  39. #39
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,009

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    No.
    Double that No.

  40. #40
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,009

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    No.
    Double that No.

  41. #41
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,845
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Possum-Pie, that's the worst reason for not respecting people I've heard in a long time - perhaps ever. Why should everybody think like you and just wear what they thinks smell good?

    We just happen to live in a social world and wearing a certain fragrance is a statement of sorts. Wearing Le Male is not a statement I want to make. Just like I wouldn't wear Ed Hardy clothes. Realizing that our decisions are not simply about "liking" something, but they carry other meanings, only help us understand ourselves better.
    So you wear/don't wear things b/c of social pressure? I refrain from certain fragrances that don't fit an occasion, but I won't not buy something I like b/c of what people may think. I would never wear slacks and "1 Million" to meet the queen, but I also wouldn't buy a fragrance b/c it was "trendy" I would wear my tuxedo, and choose an appropriate fragrance from my collection...One that I like. I have fought phoniness all my life with people who try to impress others with big name clothes and fragrances that they don't like, but imply "money" I met a VERY famous gentleman a while back, and he was wearing "Cool Water" I have to admire his choice to wear what he likes.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  42. #42

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I have more than hundred fragrances available, most of which are very unusual. I wear little amounts, to my personal enjoyment. I wouldn't say I try to please people around me.

    I just don't see myself as Le Male wearing person. I also might be kind of elitist: I don't want people to smell that on me. Not the connotation I want. I also wouldn't wear Chanel No. 5 for the same reason. It's not the statement I want to make. Maybe all this makes me phony.

    I'm just trying to understand my own motives behind my choices and I believe they are not just about what I like.

  43. #43
    Basenotes Plus
    mlsweeney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sullivan, IL
    Posts
    1,346

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    So you wear/don't wear things b/c of social pressure? I refrain from certain fragrances that don't fit an occasion, but I won't not buy something I like b/c of what people may think. I would never wear slacks and "1 Million" to meet the queen, but I also wouldn't buy a fragrance b/c it was "trendy" I would wear my tuxedo, and choose an appropriate fragrance from my collection...One that I like. I have fought phoniness all my life with people who try to impress others with big name clothes and fragrances that they don't like, but imply "money" I met a VERY famous gentleman a while back, and he was wearing "Cool Water" I have to admire his choice to wear what he likes.
    Maybe he was wearing Green Irish Tweed

  44. #44

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I disagree. I'm on a fixed income and can't afford FB of some "niche" frags. Thank God there's that's why splits an samples were created . I find that "interesting" doesn't mean I don't care for the scent. Sample,sample, and then sample again.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 25th January 2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Over medicated!

  45. #45

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    In general, I agree but there are exceptions but I agree.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I disagree. I’m on a fixed income and can’t afford some FB “niche” scents I’ve tried through samples and decants. That’s why God created samples and decants. “Interesting” to me can be either I like it or don’t. Sample,sample, and then sample some more. Then again I just had my psyche meds adjusted yesterday.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Depends upon the assumptions made behind the terms used...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

  48. #48
    Basenotes Member NeonGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    42
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    repost
    Last edited by NeonGrey; 25th January 2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: repost
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

  49. #49
    Basenotes Member NeonGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    42
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Would you agree with the following statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice lean towards designer scents; people who want their frags to smell interesting lean towards niche".
    Since when is "nice" in opposition to "interesting"? How about this breakdown instead?

    People who want to be interesting for the sake of being interesting, put less value on aesthetics than they do on how others perceive them. On the other hand, those who appreciate beauty wherever they find it, even in the unlikeliest of places, will be able to find nice things where others don't bother to look.
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

  50. #50
    Basenotes Member NeonGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    42
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    sorry repost
    Last edited by NeonGrey; 25th January 2013 at 09:13 PM.
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

  51. #51

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Depends upon the assumptions made behind the terms used...
    I think this is really the key to understanding the OP's statement, and how the question is to be interpreted.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No. Absolutely not.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonGrey View Post
    Since when is "nice" in opposition to "interesting"? How about this breakdown instead?

    People who want to be interesting for the sake of being interesting, put less value on aesthetics than they do on how others perceive them. On the other hand, those who appreciate beauty wherever they find it, even in the unlikeliest of places, will be able to find nice things where others don't bother to look.
    I don't think this applies to fragrances. So called interesting fragrances are usually very personal thing. I've come to find that wearing fragrances that basenoters would find "interesting" are usually perceived as incomprihensible by most people. Kind of like some atonal art music to an uneducated ear.

  54. #54

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    O yea

  55. #55

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    I disagree. I think people who are curious and open-minded smell anything from niche to designer to vintage...


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  56. #56
    Basenotes Member NeonGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    42
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    I don't think this applies to fragrances. So called interesting fragrances are usually very personal thing. I've come to find that wearing fragrances that basenoters would find "interesting" are usually perceived as incomprihensible by most people. Kind of like some atonal art music to an uneducated ear.
    I was thinking in terms of fragrances specifically for the sake of this thread. You lost me at "So called interesting-"
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

  57. #57
    Dependent bigsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    near Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,561

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    How about this: People who want their frags to be expensive lean toward niche.

    There are plenty of interesting designer frags, though everyone's nose/tastes are different
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

  58. #58

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Would you agree with the following statement:

    "People who want their frags to smell nice lean towards designer scents; people who want their frags to smell interesting lean towards niche".
    One can't really agree or disagree with the statement unless it is more carefully specified, particularly
    a.......... smell nice to whom? and
    b.......... smell interesting to whom?

    If it were to smell nice to one's self and to others vs smell interesting to one's self, but of zilch interest to others, then I'd agree with the statement generally.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  59. #59
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,286
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    No matter what side of this 'arguement' is taken, a most provocative question. I have to admit I have no idea as to why (most) people lean toward the frags they do other than they like them personally or follow the crowd.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  60. #60

    Default Re: Do you agree with this?

    The love of fragrances for some seems to end up to becoming a race to whomever smells the most exclusively like nobody else in their vicinity. And in some cases, just add snobbery and scoffery.

    The OP statement is overall something I'd agree with. Most people adopt fragrances to "smell good". And since those are very broad terms, the criteria is pretty broad. But niche, narrows the playing field. This would be almost analogous to people that own cars to people that own cars (designer fragrances) and actually buy super sports cars (niche fragrances). And the people that go deeper into the art of perfumery and scents, well they might go the way of the bicycle, unicycle, or penny-farthing. In a way, it's all connected, it's all a form of transportation in my analogy, but the manner they get you to wherever you wish to go, but the routes are all different.



    Bah. This sounded way better in my head before typing it.

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a frag that we all (or most) can agree on that smells great?
    By coney718 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 2nd March 2011, 11:18 AM
  2. ***Fragrances That You Like, But Chemistry Doesn't Agree With You***
    By JohnD in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12th December 2009, 05:32 PM
  3. Let's agree on one fragrance!
    By Mostapha in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 30th October 2008, 06:01 PM
  4. I don't agree with this article...
    By Musician in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th July 2006, 05:48 PM
  5. My H.C.S. list. Add, Agree, Disagree !!!
    By david in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11th August 2005, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000