Code of Conduct
    treeman5823

Default Promesse de l'Aube vs 31 Rue Cambon

I hear these are similar; what are the major differences in the aformentioned chypres? (I've smelled the former, but not the latter [sample on its way!])

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'd say Promesse de l'aube is closer to a true chypre, at least it tries to do a mossy drydown, while rue Cambon is moss-less and thus comes off more as a floral per se. Also, I find Promesse a little more fruity-sweet (though it's not sweet).

Luca Turin reports that there are batch variations in Promesse, though, so one has to be careful.

cacio
    My samp,
    le of PdlA doesn't seem to have much mossy counterpoint--maybe, maybe a touch. To me, its drydown is more a sandalwood/amber.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Promesse de l'Aube vs 31 Rue Cambon

31 Rue Cambon- Starts off with an aromatic, slightly sweet note in which fruity bergamot plays a large role. At times metallic, other times fresh and bracing. Then (surprisingly) the merest touch of a sweet chocolate / vanilla note appears. The crisp metallic balances this rich note. Hints of a leathery patchouli emerge... and yet all is sprightly and even translucent. The scent simply does not get heavy or cloying in the drydown (which I often find in patchouli scents). Indeed, the dry-down is quite interesting, as the herbal rather than the leathery notes of patchouli emerge, slightly refreshed by revived citrus notes. OK, the scent at times has slight powdery aspect (to be expected) and hints of floral sweetness. Eventually the patchouli settles into its usual nutty-earthy chord. Yet even here, it is handled with restraint.An intriguing, complex scent. Try it and see how it works for you.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

I'd say Promesse de l'aube is closer to a true chypre, at least it tries to do a mossy drydown, while rue Cambon is moss-less and thus comes off more as a floral per se. Also, I find Promesse a little more fruity-sweet (though it's not sweet).

Luca Turin reports that there are batch variations in Promesse, though, so one has to be careful.

cacio

Last edited by cacio; 24th January 2013 at 09:26 PM.

My bet is that the OP will like the Chanel. Personally would never wear the former.

Basenotes Plus

I have never tried Promesse de l'aube, but have a bottle of 31 Rue Cambon. I like 31 Rue Cambon but I feel it's a bit too "pretty" for me.... probably will need to revisit it a few more times soon.

Let us know what you think when you get the sample, to me it's the best one from the Exclusif's.
    From checking the notes listed, I don't see the connection, but I never smelled any MDCI though.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I'd say the connection is that they are both fuzzy, peachy-apricoty florals, and vaguely related to floral chypres (though one, the Chanel, in a very broad sense).

treeman:
    I have not smelled recent batches, it is well possible that they have substituted the moss with a different drydown to comply with IFRA restrictions. My sample (3 or 4 years old) has some moss in the drydown.

cacio