Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Fresco by Ilum Dean (impression and Review by noirdrakkar) - Worth the hype?

Fresco by Ilum Dean

After my last thread became by far the most discussed of all 250 of my threads, this review thread of it has to be a logical consequence.

So apparently there is this new fashion house in New York City called Ilum Dean and it released its debut fragrance Fresco. Well, now we know it's just some guy who made these in his apartment (but it seemed convincing). When some people said it was similar to Aventus, but a much cheaper version, it gained a lot of hype on the internet.

Is Fresco really everything it was hyped out to be? Let's find out.

Scent: 3/5

There is the predominant pineapple note, with lemon replacing the apple in Aventus. There is no birch, but there is an oakmoss note that tries to act like birch. There is an excellent patchouli note in here. There is some rose and other masculine floral notes. This actually has a grassy feel (similar to Bleecker Street). And ironically, I've compared Bleecker Street to Aventus before.

While they add to the fragrance, it isn't the most masterful composition of floral notes I've seen. This does not have the depth of a Creed though. Creed's Ambergris drydown really makes it solid, but this fragrance tries to match it with some woody notes and musk. I like how the musk was done in here, but it just seems two-dimensional next to Creed.

The lack of vanilla is a big problem for me. Even though vanilla played only a small role in Aventus, it contributed heavily to the overall scent.

This scent lacks the potency of Aventus. One spray of Aventus is equal to three or four sprays of Fresco. The richness and potency are part of what made Aventus so captivating. Yes, Fresco is lighter and safer, but it just lacks that overall appeal.

How similar is this to Aventus. I'd say it's 50% Aventus and maybe 25% Bleecker Street. This certainly has similarities to Aventus, but it's not a clone. It doesn't come close. I think Cool Water is a much closer clone to GIT than Fresco is to Aventus. O easily think Cool Water blows Fresco out of the water.

Originality: 1/5

This is not original at all. Not only is it a blatant copy of a popular fragrance that is already out, but even the copy smells more like a generic clone than it does the unique fragrance they tried to copy. However, I know the selling point of this is that it's not original but just an attempted modification of something we already have.

Versatility: 4/5

I think this is largely versatile and can be worn anywhere. It's lack of projection makes it not so good
    for the winter, but this would be excellent in the summer and spring. It's very safe and there is a smaller
    risk of offending people than there is with Aventus. Not the most versatile, but very versatile though.

Projection: 2.5/5

This lacks projection. Even if you spray a lot of it on your skin, you can only smell it if you are really
    close to the skin.

Longevity: 3/5

Longevity is very weak as well. I get 4 hours of longevity (and then 3 more where its there ever so faintly). This won't scrub off though. It's resilient.

Value: 3.5/5

Since it is priced at $50, you could do a whole lot better. But you can definitely do much worse.

The fact that you have to spray a lot of it due to poor projection/longevity certainly eats into it's value, as does the lack of originality.

Does the lower price make it a substitute for Aventus? Absolutely not. If you own Aventus, no need to buy this. And for the same money you spend on Fresco, you could just buy a 30ml split of Aventus. Due to better performance, 30ml will go a lot farther for you.

Overall: 2.5/5
    (designer scale ; not an average)

Sorry, this is just not Aventus. It's LIKE Aventus. But it's not a clone. I would give this a 1/5 if this were on a niche scale. On a designer scale (which I place it in due to the lower price), I'd say this is middle of the road. If you walk into Macy's, this is probably better than 1/3 to 1/2 of the fragrances in there.

Decent for a designer, but even if you put Fresco on a lower standard than Aventus, it still doesn't do as well compared to designers as Aventus does for niche. If this had a bigger budget and performed better, maybe it could have been a full-on clone. If you take it for what it is, a designer fragrance in its own right, it's not exceptional, but it's not terrible either.

It's good for what it is: a DIY making a fragrance in his basement. It's nice to smell the opening, but I don't really think it's bottle worthy. I think the hype on this got too carried away. People WANTED to believe that there was a cheaper alternative to Aventus, and they were more lienient on it. They wanted to believe they were the pioneers of a big movement. I think now we will see people being a lot more critical on this.

Verdict: Unless you have non-discriminate tastes, I wouldn't recommend trying this.

Your thoughts?

Default Re: Fresco by Ilum Dean (impression and Review by noirdrakkar) - Worth the hype?

As close as it comes to Aventus. Definitely one to try if Aventus is out of your price range.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 25th January 2013 at 05:41 AM.

Default Re: Fresco by Ilum Dean (impression and Review by noirdrakkar) - Worth the hype?

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    A close as it comes to Aventus. Definitely one to try if Aventus is out of your price range.
    Sums it up for me also. Also, it's less than $30 and it has decent longevity.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No not even that. If you gave me 30 dollars I would buy 15 ml of aventus before id ever buy fresco

The asking price will definitely appeal to many who can't afford the Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The asking price will definitely appeal to many who can't afford the Creed.
    Definitely. Fresco is a great value @ $30.

At average grey market pricing:
    (Approx. $150 per 120ml)

Green Irish Tweed
    Silver Mountain Water
    Millesime Imperial
    Original Vetiver
    Original Santal
    Himalaya
    Aventus

That's over $1k for a lineup of the more popular millesimes

Now take the comparisons:

Cool Water
    Rasasi Al Wisam Day / Al Rehab Silver / White Attitude DeRay
    Sean John Unforgivable
    Mugler Cologne
    Mont Blanc Individuel
    Paco Rabanne XS (NOT black XS)
    Ilum Dean Fresco

At an average approx. $35 per 100ml bottle, you have a thinner, more synthetic wardrobe of very similar scents for $245. A very attractive alternative to budding/budgeted fumeheads.

But in defense of the other CREED-ALIKES.....none of them have that super-cheap, 40-B and stale cumin smell. Fresco has the most "designer impressions" aspect of any CREED-ALIKE.

And another defense: unlike this Ilum Dean thing, some of them are not copies, but the other way around. Namely Mugler Cologne, XS and Individuel.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Fresco by Ilum Dean
    O easily think Cool Water blows Fresco out of the water.

Verdict: Unless you have non-discriminate tastes, I wouldn't recommend trying this.

Your thoughts?
    I agree; Cool Water (vintage) "blows Fresco out of the water," IMO... It also blows Aventus and a lot of other scents out of the water too, IMO. What that has to do with a review for the completely unrelated Fresco is debatable, however...

- - - Updated - - -

No not even that. If you gave me 30 dollars I would buy 15 ml of aventus before id ever buy fresco
    Fair enough, but *I* sure wouldn't...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Agreed

If you walk into Macy's, this is probably better than 1/3 to 1/2 of the fragrances in there.
    I had a very different experience from repeatedly smelling my Fresco sample. To my nose, almost all of the mainstream dsigner fragrances sold in Macy's are higher quality than this. This juice reveals its inner cheapness as soon as the dry-down is reached, in a way that your average Polo's, Lacoste's and Bulgari's never do.

Ok.... So you'ld rather buy 10 mL (that's about all your gonna get for less than $30) that'll last you 2 to 3 weeks (remember 1 normal atomizer spray = 3 Creed bottle sprays) and then what are you gonna buy when you realize how fast you just blew threw that decant? Last time I checked most people aren't making six figure salaries. Most people make an average salary, have a ton of bills, many have children, and want to get the best bang for their buck. It's obvious that you don't like it, but don't knock it for being a viable alternative to Aventus.
    Last edited by silentrich; 25th January 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i know aventus is out of the price range of most people. and there are plenty of scents you can get full bottles of for $50 and under that a great and easily recommendable by me.

fresco, however is not one of them (in my eyes). yes it is similar to aventus, but in the end, in its own right, it's not a stellar fragrance (though it isnt bad either)

this could be used as an alternative to aventus, i agree. you won't be getting the quality or performance of aventus for that price, but you'd be getting a somewhat decent fragrance.

but if you tell people to expect a full-on clone of aventus that surpassed what cool water did with GIT, you would be setting their expectations too high for them only to be disappointed.

if aventus is napoleon riding a horse, fresco is a card-board cut-out of napoleon riding a horse.

it's two dimensional, simplistic, cheaply made, poorly performing. but when all is said and done, it's not a bad scent at all.

it depends what your standard is. if the standard is aventus, then this fails big-time. if the standard is most of the designers out there (which was my standard when i rated this 2.5/5), then it's middle of the road.

simply put, there is much better in the price range of fresco.

- - - Updated - - -

i agree with johnny ludlow

the defenders of the fresco hype train are quick to use the "appeal to the common man" to decry people who criticize Fresco as out of touch with people who don't have a lot of money to spend on luxury.

im not expecting people who dont have the willingness or the means to spend $200 to go out and get aventus over fresco. but i am saying that they should get something better than fresco with the money they have.

fresco is a total dud.

- - - Updated - - -

i agree with johnny ludlow

the defenders of the fresco hype train are quick to use the "appeal to the common man" to decry people who criticize Fresco as out of touch with people who don't have a lot of money to spend on luxury.

im not expecting people who dont have the willingness or the means to spend $200 to go out and get aventus over fresco. but i am saying that they should get something better than fresco with the money they have.

fresco is a total dud.

I understand sometimes people have it really tight. If it came to that, I'd rather wear a top fragrance twice a week than a mediocre one every day. That's my preference. But in general even the very expensive fragrances are very affordable per spray. That's one thing I appreciate about this hobby: such a cheap luxury. Not in many areas in life the highest end is accessible for regular fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    And another defense: unlike this Ilum Dean thing, some of them are not copies, but the other way around. Namely Mugler Cologne, XS and Individuel.
    Johnny's right. Those 3 frags came a couple years before Creed shamelessly ripped them off.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It's a pretty decent daytime/office scent, not offensive if sprayed lightly and its nothing earth shattering or amazing, but for $30 its not too shabby.

And even if you don't like it, you can just throw it in a gym bag or in a car console as a nice air freshener as well.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

It's a pretty decent daytime/office scent, not offensive if sprayed lightly and its nothing earth shattering or amazing, but for $30 its not too shabby.

And even if you don't like it, you can just throw it in a gym bag or in a car console as a nice air freshener as well.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    I understand sometimes people have it really tight. If it came to that, I'd rather wear a top fragrance twice a week than a mediocre one every day.

I completely agree with this, however, most people on a tight budget aren't thinking about how long a bottle of perfume will last (though it's definitely a valid point!). They're just thinking about how much they have to spend. In other words, it's a case of "I've got $35. What can I get that's great?"

That being said, the point Johnny_Ludlow seemed to be making was one of getting the most from your money, and again, I agree completely. Why buy something that's just OK when there are better options? To be part of the hype? Even at the Fresco price point, there are better smelling options. Johnny mentioned Mugler Cologne, and that's a good one. Really, there are lots of excellent options. Ugnaro III, Caron Third Man or Pour un Homme, Hanae Mori if you're looking for something to wear on a date. There are many excellent options.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

So the OP states that Fresco smells 50% Aventus and 25% Bleecker Street (which he also states smells like Avetus). What's the other 25% smell like? The OP states that it smells better than most of the fragrances you'll buy at Macy's, but then states that Fresco is a dud and it's not worth $30. He also states "The lack of vanilla is a big problem for me. Even though vanilla played only a small role in Aventus, it contributed heavily to the overall scent." Then he states it as selling for $50 when pretty much everyone and their brother bought it for less than $30. Finally, he starts taking about people "defending the Fresco hype train", but created not one but two threads about this fragrance. Your kidding me right.

This fresco vs Aventus talk is getting so old. There's no need to get all upset about it. If you want the cheap option get fresco but no cologne is THAT expensive. Decant of Aventus can go for $85 for 2oz and that will last years with the collections people here have.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    So the OP states that Fresco smells 50% Aventus and 25% Bleecker Street (which he also states smells like Avetus). What's the other 25% smell like? The OP states that it smells better than most of the fragrances you'll buy at Macy's, but then states that Fresco is a dud and it's not worth $30. He also states "The lack of vanilla is a big problem for me. Even though vanilla played only a small role in Aventus, it contributed heavily to the overall scent." Then he states it as selling for $50 when pretty much everyone and their brother bought it for less than $30. Finally, he starts taking about people "defending the Fresco hype train", but created not one but two threads about this fragrance. Your kidding me right.
    Maybe NoirDrakkar could consider this his bowing out thread regarding Fresco?
    Or maybe he can start a poll to see who thinks another thread could clear things up for everybody once and for all?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Green Irish Stud View Post
    no cologne is THAT expensive.
    You appear to have not looked very far when you make a statement like that. First off, Aventus (and Fresco) are not "colognes"... Two, while "expensive" is a relative term I have sampled and am aware of many fragrances that I sure can't afford despite wanting to with one even being in my top 5. Some that I have sampled (including that one) go for well over a thousand US dollars per 50 or 100ml bottle. Maybe you can afford those and many even more expensive options and if so I truly tip my hat to you, but I dare say many fragrances are indeed considered "THAT expensive" to many others, even most others.

The truth is I understand what you are trying to communicate by your statement, but what is not "THAT expensive" to one person, may be "VERY expensive" to another. Like I said, "expensive" is a relative term.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Blog Entries

This made me crack up, but the inconsistencies you mentioned were only superficial.

1. Yes, it's similar to Aventus but it's not that full-on clone you were sending me lengthy messages about. I get some similarity to Bleecker Street, but I wouldn't call that a 75% similarity to Aventus. Poor assumption on your part.

2. Most fragrances at mainstream stores like Macy's aren't that great anyway. If this is better, then that's not saying much. It's not terrible. It's just that you can't sell people beef chuck and tell them it's filet mignon.

3. Vanilla can play a small role in a fragrance, yet add so much depth to it. Look at Desert Marocain for example. Aventus had a little vanilla, just a little, but it DID matter.

4. One thread was out of curiosity. I didn't know what Fresco smelled like. This thread was a thread telling people not to buy Fresco. Okay, I'm hyping Fresco by telling people NOT to buy it. Think about that.

5. Even for $30, people are still getting a 2.5/5 fragrance (in my eyes). I've heard many of the reactions and it wasn't good. There are much better options for that price range. Being cheap doesn't make up for a fragrance that is unoriginal, two-dimensional and performs poorly.

And finally.

Look, I know you're upset that you sent hype e-mails to people, long sermons begging them to buy Fresco, and then it didn't turn out to be the spitting image of Aventus that you hyped it to be. People are realizing this, and I know you want to defend your territory by attacking me. I get it. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    You appear to have not looked very far when you make a statement like that. First off, Aventus (and Fresco) are not "colognes"... Two, while "expensive" is a relative term I have sampled and am aware of many fragrances that I sure can't afford despite wanting to with one even being in my top 5. Some that I have sampled (including that one) go for well over a thousand US dollars per 50 or 100ml bottle. Maybe you can afford those and many even more expensive options and if so I truly tip my hat to you, but I dare say many fragrances are indeed considered "THAT expensive" to many others, even most others.

The truth is I understand what you are trying to communicate by your statement, but what is not "THAT expensive" to one person, may be "VERY expensive" to another. Like I said, "expensive" is a relative term.

Ok, on your first point saying they are not "colognes" are you implying I should call them Eau de toilettes? Are we really calling people out for referring to men's fragrances as cologne?

Looking at your top 10 I agree there are many fragrances that are ridiculously expensive and can cost $1000. The only one I have heard of on your top 10 is Clive Christian. I would never buy any of those so I guess I didn't even consider them when I made my statement about no colognes being that expensive. What I meant was niche fragrances are split for relatively cheap. I split Aventus myself 2 weeks ago. It was a Z01 batch and I gave 2oz for $85 shipped. However once you get into the realm of your top 10 it does get too expensive. My journey ends with creed, Kilian, Tom Ford, Le labo, etc

I believe Fresco was not overhyped. I does smell very similar to Aventus, and yes I own Aventus. I think some people are just being frag snobs because that cannot believe a $30 fragrance can smell near as good as their beloved Aventus.

Maybe a received a magical bottle, because I'm getting 7+ hrs longevity with decent projection.

I believe Fresco was not overhyped. I does smell very similar to Aventus, and yes I own Aventus. I think some people are just being frag snobs because that cannot believe a $30 fragrance can smell near as good as their beloved Aventus.

Maybe a received a magical bottle, because I'm getting 7+ hrs longevity with decent projection.

Basenotes Member Carvalho Diablo's Avatar
    Pompadour Cosmetique Company, Baker Street

Quote Originally Posted by jgould25 View Post

I agree with this 100%

I also own Aventus and just received my 100ml bottle of Fresco yesterday, and although there are differences, they really are minute.

Fresco smells almost identical to Aventus, from the first whiff right throughout it's lifecycle.

I also think for a £25 frag, nobody at all can complain, and I would thank both Ilum Dean and Coach Rob for bringing a great, affordable scent to the attention of the masses.
    ***My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world : those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.***

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Green Irish Stud View Post
    Ok, on your first point saying they are not "colognes" are you implying I should call them Eau de toilettes? Are we really calling people out for referring to men's fragrances as cologne?

Looking at your top 10 I agree there are many fragrances that are ridiculously expensive and can cost $1000. The only one I have heard of on your top 10 is Clive Christian. I would never buy any of those so I guess I didn't even consider them when I made my statement about no colognes being that expensive. What I meant was niche fragrances are split for relatively cheap. I split Aventus myself 2 weeks ago. It was a Z01 batch and I gave 2oz for $85 shipped. However once you get into the realm of your top 10 it does get too expensive. My journey ends with creed, Kilian, Tom Ford, Le labo, etc
    "Fragrances" would be appropriate, but I knew what you meant...

With respect to the rest of your post, I think you must have missed the primary point I was making. It is not about how expensive my own fragrance likes or dislikes are, but rather that "expensive" is a relative term. I may call $1000+ expensive, you may call $400+ expensive and person X may call $85 for your Aventus split of batch XYZ expensive. To say that "no cologne is THAT expensive" is making assumptions that people hold to your own perception of what "expensive" is and/or that they have the same disposable income that you do.

As for your journey ending with "creed, kilian, Tom Ford, Le Labo, etc" that really is too bad, because you are really missing out, IMO (not to imply anything negative about any of those houses)... When I say that I do not mean you are missing out because there are more expensive options out there (although of course there indeed are)... On the contrary, just as many of the fragrances in my top 10, for example, cost less than any releases from the houses you mentioned. That is not to imply any would appeal to you but it is all about a little exploration to find the hidden gems for me, at least. If those houses are enough to completely satisfy you than I am happy for you. For me, the hunt continues for fragrances of all price ranges whether they be $10 or $1000+. Regardless, best of luck to you on your fragrance journey even if it stops here.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by jgould25 View Post

Bravo for speaking out despite the mass opposition by ignoring the cost differential of Fresco (not to mention your prior purchase of Aventus) and making a fair-minded assessment.
    Last edited by drseid; 26th January 2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

This made me crack up, but the inconsistencies you mentioned were only superficial.

1. Yes, it's similar to Aventus but it's not that full-on clone you were sending me lengthy messages about. I get some similarity to Bleecker Street, but I wouldn't call that a 75% similarity to Aventus. Poor assumption on your part.

2. Most fragrances at mainstream stores like Macy's aren't that great anyway. If this is better, then that's not saying much. It's not terrible. It's just that you can't sell people beef chuck and tell them it's filet mignon.

3. Vanilla can play a small role in a fragrance, yet add so much depth to it. Look at Desert Marocain for example. Aventus had a little vanilla, just a little, but it DID matter.

4. One thread was out of curiosity. I didn't know what Fresco smelled like. This thread was a thread telling people not to buy Fresco. Okay, I'm hyping Fresco by telling people NOT to buy it. Think about that.

5. Even for $30, people are still getting a 2.5/5 fragrance (in my eyes). I've heard many of the reactions and it wasn't good. There are much better options for that price range. Being cheap doesn't make up for a fragrance that is unoriginal, two-dimensional and performs poorly.

And finally.

Look, I know you're upset that you sent hype e-mails to people, long sermons begging them to buy Fresco, and then it didn't turn out to be the spitting image of Aventus that you hyped it to be. People are realizing this, and I know you want to defend your territory by attacking me. I get it. Get over it.
    I didn't send hype e-mails to anyone. I only PM'd you about Fresco and was wondering if you had smelled it or heard of it since you do proclaim to watch YouTube fragrance videos and you are on my friends list. Yeah, I was excited about something that smells this close to Aventus especially at a that price so if that's hype then so be it. If you don't want to be called out about something then don't accuse people of "defending the hype train" when obviously you are the OP and have been a big part of the hype. Also there's a little saying that maybe you haven't heard of which is "don't bite the hand that feeds you." Just looking back on some of your comments it was pretty obvious it was directed at me. Next time think before you type.
    Last edited by silentrich; 26th January 2013 at 08:57 PM.

CologneFan85

Why more Aventus talk? So many better fragrances...WHY WHY WHY THIS AGAIN?

I'm not a huge fan of Aventus myself. However, it isn't a bad scent, so at $35 for a 3.3 oz "clone" I decided to pull the trigger and purchased a bottle. I have a sample of Aventus, and now a full bottle of Fresco.
    I don't understand how it can be compared to Aventus. Fresco smells like alcohol (which goes away) pepper, and water.
    Not at all what I expected. I have a sample of Fresco coming in the mail as well. Maybe I got a bad bottle.
    I did also spray it directly after a shower, usually my cologne smells different when I do that.
    I'll give it another spray tonight, and see how it smells.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I didn't send hype e-mails to anyone. I only PM'd you about Fresco and was wondering if you had smelled it or heard of it since you do proclaim to watch YouTube fragrance videos and you are on my friends list. Yeah, I was excited about something that smells this close to Aventus especially at a that price so if that's hype then so be it. If you don't want to be called out about something then don't accuse people of "defending the hype train" when obviously you are the OP and have been a big part of the hype. Also there's a little saying that maybe you haven't heard of which is "don't bite the hand that feeds you." Just looking back on some of your comments it was pretty obvious it was directed at me. Next time think before you type.
    i wasnt directing this entirely at you. i respect you, silentrich. it wasn't personal. i've just observed hype from this across the board (youtube, basenotes, fragrantica, facebook: dozens of people) promoting it as a spitting image of aventus, which i see as a VERY far stretch.

i didn't hype fresco at all. i just provided a medium to discuss it in. i was belligerently skeptical about the claim that aventus could be cloned. again, i didnt hype it. i just provided a medium of discussion and plenty of people decided to hype it. maybe 200 people will comment on my original santal thread. but that doesn't mean i'm recommending original santal to everybody. actually, NO fragrance has a direct clone. yes, there are always similar fragrances. but never direct clones.