Code of Conduct

Default SotD Friday, 25 January 2013

*tap* *tap*... awaiting G.'s vintage smellies report...
    while reeking of Jicky Extrait (still) myself. I now have two cashmere jumpers that have been stained for good with Jicky. Gosh, I could sleep with these jumpers with my face in them.
    It's Friday. That's all that matters. Wine o'clock! Haven't decided yet, but feel a slight tendency towards a classic Burgundy red.
    Best to all

Default Re: SotD Friday, 25 January 2013

Morning Larimar! Awaiting G's report too...I had a fragrance friend who attended last night's event in London, heard it was pretty special. In Goutal's Ninfeo Mio for now.
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Morning all!

Half awake. Grabbed first bottle of whatever which happened to be acqua di parma blu med...blah blah blah.

Zzzzzzzz.

Hello all. Guerlain Winter Delice.
    DONNA

Morning All,

Thanks for your kind words yesterday (and today): I had a great time last night smelling some real oldies (anywhere outside of BN that could be easily misconstrued !). The ancient bottles of l'heure bleue and mitsouko were from 'The Mexican' (Larimar knows). To sniff these perfumes more or less as they were originally conceived is a wonderful experience and hugely instructive. A tiny vial of Coty's chypre was also passed around. The real surprise for me however, came in the form of the original eau sauvage: Holy Moly it's good stuff ! Definitely want track down a bottle. So yes, a great evening, as always.

Pamplelune. Josh did mention you.

TGIF. Ambre Précieux for me.

Have a lovely Friday, folks.

Thanks G. for your report! Sounds great! What was so special about the original Eau Sauvage?

Sampling By Kilian Love today. Very sweet (high quality orange blossom marshmallows...), so will see how I do with it.

Also eagerly awaiting G's report - preferably with photos :-)

Wish you all a great Friday and wonderful week-end!

Bonjour!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good Morning and Happy Friday:

Testing Grossmith Golden Chypre today

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie for me today. A stunner.

Have a lovely Friday, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Morning! First and most important, a big congratulations to the extraordinary Twolf on her six thousand posts. Well done Wolfie!

G Wow! Some good sniffing there. I have been keeping an eye out for some vintage Eau Suavage for a while. Happy hunting!

L'Eau D'Hiver today for me.

F., it was 9K. But who counts? Thanks.
    Terry, glad you are keen on my favorite Creed. Normal people are not (and then again, anyone to define normalcy? LOL).

Not decided scent-wise yet. Have to read the Sync thread.

How strange...I had problems posting and then my message showed up later on. Looks a bit funny since I am referring to awaiting G's report - and he had already posted about it.

Anyway, thanks for the report G!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Testing Grossmith Golden Chypre today

You smell like royalty

House twin with Terry today - Green Valley.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th January 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Friday, 25 January 2013

samples
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

L'Artisan Méchant Loup.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Blog Entries

Morning all, & happy Friday!

SOTD is Fifi Chachnil, for a nice lazy day off with a little "pottering" thrown in!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    ...What was so special about the original Eau Sauvage?
    At least on paper, it seemed like a fantastically natural smelling citrus. Quite different to the current version. I really should have got a sample last night...

Hello everyone -

I'm in Van Cleef & Arpels First, vintage-70s edt ...this sometimes smells more mossy/chypre-y to me, but those luscious aldehydes have taken center stage this morning. Also, this is the first time I've ever noticed a resemblance to K de Krizia, and I've been wearing these two since I was in my teens! I just love how our perceptions of even our most familiar favorites is constantly evolving ...as we evolve, of course, as well as the perfume itself. I suppose I should expect it, but I'm always slightly surprised to find I have more to learn about a particular fragrance, lol.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    At least on paper, it seemed like a fantastically natural smelling citrus. Quite different to the current version. I really should have got a sample last night...
    Have you ever smelled Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat? In its reformulated (I think) state it smells of LEMON (zest, juice - everything lemon) as in the past I suspect it had verbena in it. The latter is partly why I love Sous le Vent so much.

Am wearing Caron's Nocturnes since early early this am. The Guide gives this a poor rating, but I actually enjoy it. After a shower, I may hit the mall, so I'll wear no scent in order to test a few.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Dirty English this AM. Much cooler here @ 50 F overnight but soon to hit mid-70s F.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Royal Vintage by Micallef

(Unhappy) scent twin with easyfish- Villoresi Patchouli. I feel like I've bathed in a boozy herbal tea... Too bad.

Have a nice afternoon- here, we've just perceived an earthquake..
    The epicentre seems to be in Tuscany, hope there are not too many damages
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Bright Leaf by Murdock

Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Quote Originally Posted by carolina girl View Post
    Am wearing Caron's Nocturnes since early early this am. The Guide gives this a poor rating, but I actually enjoy it. After a shower, I may hit the mall, so I'll wear no scent in order to test a few.
    You smell wonderful! I am so glad that there are more people who appreciate it. I think it's beautiful and not boring and "The Texas lineup" comment in the Guide was quite unfair.

Heure Exquise body oil and EdT. I think PerfumedLady would be proud .

Good morning all, and happy Friday. Wine o'clock will happen a little late for me today, as I have to play tennis this evening. But it WILL happen Going out to see a friend's band, and will try to find something decent to drink from their menu.

In synch with Dior Homme, one of the few iris based fragrances that I call a winter iris. I'll wear it year round, but I especially love it's embrace in the cold weather. It's thick and warm to me.

Wearing Nuit de Noel.

In a gothic, noir mood... Messe de Minuit, original EdC. This is art. Would a perfumer today be able to bring this out? NEVER!
    A gothic mood seems to trigger a strong and fruity red... so, Zinfandel it is. Cheers!

I have a late 90s/early 00s bottle of Eau Sauvage (I think that's about right), and I get a distinct civet note in the drydown. It's getting to the point now that I am forgetting what the old classics I once knew smelled like. Diorella from the 70s was so wonderful, I can't wear the current version. Gandhajala, that must have been fun last night.

It's winter here and no doubt about it, and I'd like to friday synch but I wear the same ones all the time now. I don't have any particularly wintry scents, nothing with snow or winter in the name, nothing bleak or gray. Last night I wore Prada L'Eau Ambree to tutor. I hadn't worn it in such a long time, and I enjoyed it so much that I may continue with that today. I'm not scented yet.

Basenotes Plus

Happy Friday, everyone!

Sorry I forgot about it being sync day.

Wearing Versace Versense.

Have a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    You smell wonderful! I am so glad that there are more people who appreciate it. I think it's beautiful and not boring and "The Texas lineup" comment in the Guide was quite unfair.

Heure Exquise body oil and EdT. I think PerfumedLady would be proud .
    Agree on Nocturnes and yes, proud! That dry oil is beautiful stuff, you smell divine! I think my addiction to perfume ancillary products must be contagious! Some houses make wonderful bath&body products but many more are duds in that area. Goutal definitely gets it right!

Very interesting, G., sounds like a fun evening! So glad you all sniffed Chypre, such a great lesson!

I'm Foustie's sync twin in L'Eau d'Hiver today. Have a great Friday, gang!
    The nose wants what it wants!

In sync, wearing SL Fille en Aiguilles again today - it's almost a comfort scent. I didn't pick up the association to the inspiration (supposed) for this fragrance - a pine forest in summer. If so, he was in the deep heart of the forest, eating candied fruit. The irony isn't lost I'm wearing this as my Winter scent.

I missed the fact you were testing vintage frags yesterday, Gandhajala - how lucky you are! I'm sure it's an invaluable experience.

Another thought - I've been reading many posts without posting myself, sort of dazzled by the different lives of the people on this forum, talking of places I've only dreamed of. It's odd how one's own life seems mundane, and others exotic, no matter what and where we're living. I have a hard time seeing my own life with any perspective, especially since I'm only doing what I was raised to do. What a broadening thing a forum such as this is, beyond the sharing of a common passion. I'm still fascinated by the fact there are people at this moment sweltering in the heat, enduring midwest storms, living and working in the largest cities in the world, engaging in perfume parties. The internet is still a marvel to me for how it brings people together that could never meet 15 years ago, with such a fertile exchange of experiences. Nuff said.
    Last edited by flathorn; 25th January 2013 at 04:32 PM.

Hope everything is OK over there. My prayers go out to you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    (Unhappy) scent twin with easyfish- Villoresi Patchouli. I feel like I've bathed in a boozy herbal tea... Too bad.

CJ Scents Sandalwood edp

Happy Friday!

Brava, flathorn. Well said. I, too, was marveling over the fact that you're a pilot with your own plane. Although I know that in some parts of Alaska, planes are more of a necessity than cars -- which is really amazing to me. I haven't visited Alaska yet, but I plan to in the next couple of years.

Last night, I wore Sonoma Scent Studio Rose Volupte to bed. Rose Volupte is a reformulation of Vintage Rose and has notes of rose, plum, amber, labdanum absolute, sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, heliotrope, clove, cinnamon, oakmoss, subtle aldehydes. It's finally happened -- I found a predominantly rose fragrance that I like. Scratch that: REALLY like. I fell asleep sniffing my wrist and then proceeded to actually DREAM about sniffing my wrist! 30R, have you tried any of SSS's rose fragrances?

I am completely unsynched today, wearing Slumberhouse Norne.

Iodine, crossing my fingers there were no injuries.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 25th January 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post

Sorry to hear about this. According to the news it seems to have been about 30kms North of Viareggio, but it could be felt as far away as Milan, and it mainly affected the Northern Italian Areas of Tuscany and Emilia Romagna. I hope that everyone is OK.

Wolfie, how rude of me! My head is too full of stuff. But they were sincere congrats anyway.

Sampling the afternoon of a faun this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Not tonight Jon, unfortunately! Probably Sunday. I'm pleased that you are having yours though. With neeps and tatties I hope? Enjoy your dram.

Have a great weekend all, whatever you may be doing.
    Last edited by Foustie; 25th January 2013 at 06:11 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Foustie, are you having haggis for Burns Night ? - ours is simmering away, and there is an Isle of Jura single malt waiting to be uncorked later. Wine o'clock will have to be tomorrow - whisky o'clock today

SotE - Ulrich Lang Anvers.

Ready for the weekend ....

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations to Twolf on the post milestone! Ginormous hugs to you!

I'm unhappy as I continue to try the scents from the tuberose pass. It was Animale's turn but makes me smell.....I dunno, unwashed. Just not loving these. Notes for this one are: Tuberose, Neroli, Kumquat, Aromatics, Prune, Blond Woods, Immortelle.

Blog Entries

Lovely post flathorn, l agree one hundred per cent, & l too am full of admiration for anyone who flies their own plane!

Hope everyone in ltaly is okay.

Craving some incense this evening, l went for Josef Statkus.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

With this and that, I went to work unscented. Slathered myself with Udder Balm though and came back a happy camper.

Lilybelle, I am still hunting after that version of Diorella. Please let me know if you see one.

F.
    and JR, may I please post my favorite from Burns? Pretty please?
    Gin a body meet a body
    Comin thro' the rye,
    Gin a body kiss a body,
    Need a body cry?

Flathorn, you are great. I missed your posting, honestly, all these years. Totally agree with you. The thing that gets me most is Australia -- they are having summer down there, right now as we speak. I also went through your To Test list and I will get something prepared for you. Still the same address (PO Box ending on 07)? Because you guys from AK are like from a different universe -- nobody ships to you (CONUS only, right? Wrong!!!!!) and if they do the prices are outrageous. I think I will always help Alaskans out, let my charity start at home, OK?

Thank you, RHM.

Now what? I want and WILL smell like Lady E. in older First. 'Cause I can. And then, if we were to sync, I'd rather sync with her.

Banned

Good evening girls, and boys:-)

I love to come here too, to get ideas of new scents, to see different peoples tastes as well as weather report from various parts of the world:-) , its really fun, people come here from allover the world, BUT amazingly i see so little French people, and we talk about french perfume houses every day:-)

Today i was wearing:
    Beloved- its all about sweet musky bit olibanum drydown, and something synthetic(synthetic civet adds sharpness but no animalic notes)
    Tuberose 3- i recovered in that warm, soft, pleasant tuberose

Onda- man what a scent, exactly as i imagined it will be according to basenoters descriptions, i just imagined it will be sharper then it is, its vetyver, tobbaco-civet smell .....like some vintage from 1940s!.....doesn't smell modern at all, but its not hard to wear!

Mito- oh that one is special gem, this is perfect summer scent! I feard i wont like it but i do, its not only green, citrus it is slightly sweet,

kiki- i adore lavender and geranium! Best lavender so far for me!

Rubj- i expected to love it, its so watery sweet gentle fruity floral, i thought i smell tuberose but this is orange flower and egyptian jasmine...and the drydown is musky, not that bad as Beloved, but today i can take no more:-) musks for some reason remind me of synthetics, these are all natural perfumes?

Jeeez i had Miss Balmain too

Hehehe, what is wrong with me?:-)

Banned

The worse BN works the more are write lol
    Last edited by iivanita; 25th January 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Twolf, I'll be sure to let you know if/when I run across that particular one. It would have to be sealed in a box to be any good, I'm pretty sure.

SotD was the last of a decant of Miller Haris Terre d'Iris, a nice scent for a cold snowy afternoon. I'm spending the evening indoors with a pile of books and dvds. SotE is vintage Chantilly edt. The crazy Yeti dog is very happy with the snow but I'm not going out until it melts, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries