Code of Conduct

Thread: Byredo

Basenotes Junkie

Default Byredo

Hello Basenotes members.

Im looking to build a little collection, so far I have creeds aventus, which im really liking at the moment.

I have noticed this brand Byredo, to check these out id probally have to travel an hour to Central London.

Are they a good quality reputable brand? And do you think there would be anything in there collection that would suit a man who likes clean/fresh citrusy/pine/woody scents. (Not to heavy)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Default Re: Byredo

Man... Did you really need to start 4 threads?
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Six actually. Enough already!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Junkie

4? I shall delete them now, my post wasnt coming up earlier, sorry

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to delete threads?

Im sorry but this website was playing up ealirer and the posts werent showing.

Yes, go to "edit post", then "Go advanced", then delete
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Byredo is average IMO.

Never cared for any I've tried in the Byredo line.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the brand, usually I don't find their scents really exciting. But many other BNers like it a lot, so they'll be able to help you with this. I remember Palermo as being smooth and citrusy. Avoid, or at least be careful of, M/Mink, a potent bilgey concoction, striking perhaps, but to some (me included) unwearable.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    +1, a very subpar line.

And let's give the op a break, he's a new member, and we all know the forums have been having their fair share of issues lately. No need to get angry.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    + 2

Byredo, I like them.
    I have the Sunday Cologne. IMO it is a classic cologne scent. I get great longetivity out of it.
    I have sampled the Bal d'Afrique, and liked that also. If you do get to sample this, and like it, then try Pal Zilleri Collezione Privata Viaggio d'Africa. It is nearly identical and cheaper.

Also give Mister Marvelous a try.

Not everyone likes Byredo, but I think it is worth a try.

I like how cutting edge the brand is. It belongs to the Comme des Garçon and Serge Lutens school of thought from a unique and adventurous perspective (only). Most of the perfumes do not appeal too much to me though.

They're nice to have. If I were doing the old style of perfumes, where I rotated among 5 or 6 till they finished then got me perfumes, I'd definitely buy several Byredo but my current style is 'favorites only' wardrobe and therefore do not see myself adding anything in the near future. Maybe Bullion. It is very well executed.

for swap/sale:

From the notes that you prefer, I recommend Sunday cologne. I have also had a bit of a recent dalliance with Accord Oud and found it quite enjoyable. The house is definitely worth exploring.

from what you describe, the only ones that i'd suggest among their range are Chembur, which is a clean/transparent green-woddy incense and Sunday Cologne, an aromatic woody-citrus. With that said, most Byredos are pretty thick because of their strong synthetic base and that's why I tend to believe none of them would make a valid option for you (at least according to what you're looking for).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks everyone for your help.

I will be in town next week so i shall definitley check out what they have to offer.

I do believe i will find it harder to find scents that are to my fresh/clean/laidback/sporty/casual tastes amongst the more luxury and niche market and brands, but im determined.

Ive already found aventus and thats sitting on my dressing table, id just like another 2 or 3 to rotate throughout the year and then ill be happy.

Tom Fords Neroli Portofino has also been suggested to me to try, so im going to see what that has to offer to.

Ive been looking at the Frederic Malles and Serge Lutens online to, but it does appear the higher up you go in the scent world, maybe the less they cater to my tastes. Im not really a fan of very heavy/avant garde/late night/feminine or dressy scents.

Not a Byredo fan (so far anyway), but you should try them if you are interested. I think you might enjoy Bal d'Afriques, Gypsy Water and Chembur. Good luck sniffing (and make sure to ask for samples)!

Check out Acqua di Parma, the Blu Mediteraneo line. There are quite a few different scents and they all are fresh citrusey things with various other components. Very natural smelling and seemingly high quality to my nose.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Byredo is average IMO.
    That's being kind IMO.

I think Bullion and Rose Noir are worth a look.

I have a love hate relationship with Byredo. Love some of their fragrances and I really dislike some of their fragrances. Sometimes these are the same fragrances!? What can I say, they are very Swedish in their aesthetic - as if that explains anything. Byredo does try to be "cutting edge" in that they try to add little differences that are sometimes perceived as humor or postmodern quirky elements to their scents. The ones that have this polarizing love/ hate, questionable mixing, punk aesthetic aspect, for me are: M/Mink, Mister Marvehlous, Pulp, Oud Immortal and Chembur. Others that are interesting but sometimes a little boring too are: Black Saffron, Seven Veils, Sunday Cologne, Bal Afrique, Accord Oud, Gypsy Water and Bullion. I have not tried the others so can not comment. They are an ideal line to build a collection from because they are anything but boring, not many people wear them, and they are very unique. The only question I have is whether they actually smell like I want to smell. The Byredo I use repeatedly is M/Mink - love that stuff but, it is different and it needs to smelled from far away to appreciate it.