Code of Conduct

Default 82 New Allergens in Perfumes: The Death Toll on Fragrances as we Know Them

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Default Re: 82 New Allergens in Perfumes: The Death Toll on Fragrances as we Know Them

Sorry to say but this article is bs: the EU won't further restrict any of those substances. The manufacturers of fragrance or any cosmetics just need to put on the label if any of the 82 are present above a certain level. So a perfume may include 100% oakmoss and as far as the EU is concerned that is totally ok, but it needs to be mentioned on the label.

Pretty much like food that says 'contains peanuts'.

If one must speak of dying: this is more about the secrecy that surrounds 'fragrance' on a label finally going extinct than anything else.

Personally I'm all for transparency.

p.s. This piece of legislation has not yet been approved nor finalized.
    Last edited by Irina; 25th January 2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations

Default Re: 82 New Allergens in Perfumes: The Death Toll on Fragrances as we Know Them

Thanks for the info folks!

Interesting.

Thanks, alfarom - good article but we sort of knew this was coming, 2013 being the final 'add insult to injury' year for the industry from the EU boffins. I suppose we'll see more Pollyanna-ish 'ohh it's fine, creative perfumers still have lots to work with' etc. etc spin from IFRA and novices to the industry etc. but bottomline it's all over bar the shouting, isn't it?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 27th January 2013 at 04:16 AM.

I put a link to an article about harmful chemicals in fragrances on Fragrantica earlier today and got flamed. I'd rather know the truth about what's in a fragrance than get emotional and defensive. The FDA does not require a list of chemicals found in fragrances, unlike in food.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    I put a link to an article about harmful chemicals in fragrances on Fragrantica earlier today and got flamed. I'd rather know the truth about what's in a fragrance than get emotional and defensive. The FDA does not require a list of chemicals found in fragrances, unlike in food.
    IFRA regulations have little to do with looking out for your safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Sorry to say but this article is bs: the EU won't further restrict any of those substances. The manufacturers of fragrance or any cosmetics just need to put on the label if any of the 82 are present above a certain level.
    So that's the practical extent of any of these regs, IFRA, EU or otherwise ?

You simply have to list the names of any of the 82 on your label, and then you are free from censure ?

I thought I read an article about IFRA lowering the boom on some....soap maker or something. But it wouldn't have been because their product contained an excess of one of the forbidden ingredients, but simply because they didn't list it on the label ?

"Conforming to the regulations" is simply a matter of what you put on your label, rather than what you put in your frag ?

If so, it seems like there is a massive amount of misunderstanding on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Sorry to say but this article is bs: the EU won't further restrict any of those substances. The manufacturers of fragrance or any cosmetics just need to put on the label if any of the 82 are present above a certain level. So a perfume may include 100% oakmoss and as far as the EU is concerned that is totally ok, but it needs to be mentioned on the label.
    Can you back this up with solid information, Irina? I think you will find that IFRA member perfumers have to conform with the 'guidelines'. In most of these discussions you seem to be taking the attitude that "everything is fine" but all the articles, quotes from actual perfumers, IFRA quotes regarding penalties for non-compliance and the various technical papers that can be accessed would seem to contradict what you are saying . . . if I understand what you saying correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    You simply have to list the names of any of the 82 on your label, and then you are free from censure ?

"Conforming to the regulations" is simply a matter of what you put on your label, rather than what you put in your frag ?

If so, it seems like there is a massive amount of misunderstanding on this board.
    No to all of the above and there is a massive amount of misunderstanding - that much is true

I'm working on a thread that will probably explain more, with links and everything. Please bear with me at is quite a lot. Thank you.

Posted here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/322...ame-some-facts
    Last edited by Irina; 28th January 2013 at 10:57 AM.
    Customized consultancy on perfume formulation, safety, training and marketing & olfactory research
    I also offer individual online personalised advice on perfume making to anyone eager to learn how to smell and design like a pro
    www.irinatudor.nl

Social platform & research network on all things smelly, daily smelly science twitter feed @SomethingSmelly
    www.somethingsmelly.com

The facts on IFRA restrictions & EU regulations