Code of Conduct

Default Who uses BB/Beauty Balm Creams?

Anybody care to enlighten me? They sound like miracle all-in-one products. The latest can't live without. I need to investigate.

Default Re: Who uses BB/Beauty Balm Creams?

Okay, many western cosmetic companies are bringing these out now. But to be honest they are are more like a tinted moisturiser. The proper BB creams look at the Korean brands such as Missha, the texture is much thicker and a little goes a long way. Oh an far more colour choices and much higher spf as well.

Missha has a US website and gives full exclamations of the products.

They were created by a German plastic surgeon years back for patients leaving after lazer treatments. Give them high spf and some coverage without upsetting the skin.
    DONNA

Okay, many western cosmetic companies are bringing these out now. But to be honest they are are more like a tinted moisturiser. The proper BB creams look at the Korean brands such as Missha, the texture is much thicker and a little goes a long way. Oh an far more colour choices and much higher spf as well.

Missha has a US website and gives full exclamations of the products.

They were created by a German plastic surgeon years back for patients leaving after lazer treatments. Give them high spf and some coverage without upsetting the skin.
    DONNA

As I man, I still use them, yet the very light, almost neutrally tinted ones and, of course, only after thorough cleansing of my skin and mainly in order to slightly correct excessive reddishness/pallor/tiny imperfections, e.g. after shaving, other factors which might expose my skin to extra strains.

So far, only used the supermarket brands like Garnier or Nivea and got satisfactory, albeit not spectacular results, yet thankfully these products were non-invasive, gentle, required quite sparing applications and blended it quite well with my natural skin tones. Planning to move on in future to more upscale brands, from Yves Rocher onwards, as well as that organic, small scale, cosmetics equivalents of niche brands which, for instance, combine BB creams with an extra boost of nutrients from natural sources.

Still confused... but thank you for the responses so far. I was envisioning all-in-one miracle product for lazy people who like to slap it on and go, not spend all day in front of the mirror applying one product after another. Oh! And of course, I don't want to spend a lot. I'll look into Missha and do some more research. Ken, I think your strategy is intelligent, working your way upward to find the right one for you. I suppose it would be tragically impossible the other way. We can always go up, but going down is a drag.

Some of the brands will have lightening ingredients so be careful. The western versions are really just tinted moisturisers hyped to be something else. The real BB creams are actually quite thick so a little goes a long way, the SPF is usually well over 20 and up to 35 the western ones still do the old 15. The proper ones do sometimes have soothing healing ingredients and help cover acne and roseaca, hence they tend to be thick in texture. But they will not replace a concealer or a real foundation.
    DONNA

Thanks, Donna. I see I have some experimenting to do.

Update: I tried L'Oreal's Youth Code BB in "Light" from the drugstore, but it was too peachy colored for my complexion. So I returned it. I liked the sheer texture and luminosity, though. I didn't have it long enough to confirm all its other claims. I thought I posted about this, but maybe it didn't go through because the site was acting up. Garnier's were there, too, Ken, but the colors on offer were Light/Medium and Medium/Dark. I knew those would be too dark, but L'Oreal's Light is slightly too dark, too. I will probably look for a colorless one now. Maybe Ulta or Sephora will have something. I'll look into the Asian brands that are available here, Donna. I don't want to buy one without trying it first, or at least having the option to return it. I have too many unused products as it is sitting in my bathroom cabinets.

Just in case anybody is keeping up with this ^^^!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 2nd February 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Clinique Age Defense is a "true" BB cream available in the US. The light color (shade 01) is pale enough for a natural redhead; it has pink/beige undertones and tends to lean a tad grey, but I prefer this over excessive yellowness.

Quote Originally Posted by gmstrack View Post
    Clinique Age Defense is a "true" BB cream available in the US. The light color (shade 01) is pale enough for a natural redhead; it has pink/beige undertones and tends to lean a tad grey, but I prefer this over excessive yellowness.
    I'll check that one out. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I'll check that one out. Thank you!
    You're welcome!

I ve been jusing Missha Perfect Cover fot three weeks now. What I love about it - light coverage, but buildable and not drying out. Still follow usual skincare routine. My skin is normal/combi)))

What do you mean by all-in-one? And what do you want form BB?

I've been using BB creams for the following reasons: Most foundations have a heavy appearance on my skin and I'm trying to simplify my skincare routine. (I have pale, dry, acne-prone skin with red patches.) For me, the ideal product would serve as a moisturizer, sunblock, foundation (with light coverage), primer (for concealer), and actively minimize acne and red patches. Also, the product should improve the general appearance of skin over time. I realize that this is quite a bit to ask for in one product, but this is what I look for.

After doing some research I bought Feverlet on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Charmzone-FE...-/110364194845

It sounded perfect for me - even the color it comes in (light with pink undertones) sounded like a good match. Wrong! I never use it (except today I'm using it so I could remember what it was I didn't like about it) It's kind of chalky and settles into lines. It doesn't provide enough moisture to slip on easily either. It looks nice in my makeup drawer though. I prefer using separate serums as needed and following with Revive tinted moisturizer. That BB cream didn't actually save me any time because it wasn't all that easy to get on.

It is not so easy finding the perfect BB. I failed twice before I got one I really liked.

A sales asst. at Ulta tried another BB on me. I forget what brand it was, but it was way too thin and like wearing nothing and did nothing for my skin. Then she sold me some Studio Gear makeup, but I brought it back because I didn't like that either. By all in one I meant tinted moisturizer/foundation, sunscreen, skin treatment. I don't have acne but I have aging skin. I suppose I was looking for an easier routine than applying numerous layers of products. I don't have all day to stand in front of the mirror, and I'm lazy at night. Eliminating a few steps sounded ideal. Really, I am so clueless. I got away with doing practically nothing for my skin all my life. I was lucky - I had problem free skin. Now, at 54 my skin needs help, and so I must wade through all the fads and claims until I find what works for me (*procedures*??).

I first wore L'Oreal's Magic Skin Beautifyer Bb and I thought it was the be-all, end all, until I saw a photo of myself in which my face was a significantly different shade than everything else, lol. I picked up the Garnier bb on the rec of a friend and I haven't looked back. The Garnier is SO far superior. It's heavier but more moisturizing and actually absorbs into the skin, whereas the L'Oreal just kind of sat there. I use moisturizer first, then bb, then a light dusting of translucent mineral powder. Sometimes I use primer if I don't feel too pressed for time. So three layers at the least, but it really doesn't take long. I'm all about looking as good as I can with the lowest possible maintenance, lol. I've read that the Garnier is pretty close to the Asian bb creams but I really have no idea. I just like it.