Code of Conduct

Default Avignon or Zagorsk?

Hi there, has anyone tried both Avignon or Zagorsk? Which do you prefer?

Default Re: Avignon or Zagorsk?

Both are very good, one is straightforward churchy incense (Avignon), the other has coniferous notes over the incense (Zagorsk). If you like coniferous scents, you'll probably prefer Zagorsk, and viceversa.

cacio

Both are very good, one is straightforward churchy incense (Avignon), the other has coniferous notes over the incense (Zagorsk). If you like coniferous scents, you'll probably prefer Zagorsk, and viceversa.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

This is absolutely accurate.

I, personally, really like both - a lot. However, Kyoto is my favorite from the Incense Series.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

the other has coniferous notes over the incense (Zagorsk). If you like coniferous scents, you'll probably prefer Zagorsk, and viceversa.

cacio[/QUOTE]

Hi there, would you say Zagorsk is very woody like Profumum Roma's Arso or smoked wood like Naomi Goodsir's Bois D'Ascese, but with some incense?

I love and own both. That said, if you prefer a warmer and darker take on the liturgical incense, go for Avignon. Otherwise, for something freezing and dark green, definitely Zagorsk.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I tried all the Incense Series and bought Jaisalmer, Zagorsk and Ouarzazate so far (but actually plan to buy them all).

It's clearly not a popular opinion, but Avignon is the one that I'm the least impressed about. Don't misunderstand me, it's still a very nice fragrance and I'm sure I'll appreciate it more and more as the time passes if I keep trying it once in a while, but for me Avignon wasn't as evocative as the others were.

Zagorsk, on the other hand, quickly amazed me on how it projects such a melancholic vibe and how that feeling is shared by most of its users. I think you need to live in a country (or have some memories of a country) where winter is very cold and full of snow to fully understand this fragrance.
    And I'll go against the wave again and say that Zagorsk is the most churchy of the 2. Afterall, we didn't all go in the same churches and according to my memories, Zagorsk smells almost exactly like the walls and the bibles in the church where I used to go as a kid.
    I can't comment about the comparisons you made since I didn't try the frags you mentioned, but I'd say Zagorsk is more smoked wood than straight woody.

In a nutshell, Avignon made me wanting for more while Zagorsk perplexed me by its melancholic beauty.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

Avignon of the two

Avignon, hands down.

Avignon

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    I agree too, cacio says it well. For me, you could also characterize Avignon as feeling "indoors", while Zagorsk feels "outdoors."

Zagorsk! But I generally prefer green scents. Avignon is too heavy and lineair for me.

Avignon to me was heavy and boring. Ouarzazate is fascinating with its florals...jasmine on top of incense? Jaisalmer I thought was the most well-balanced of the series. Kyoto was too harsh, smoky and minimalist for me. Zagorsk I don't recall very well. But you should also consider their Sequoia from the Red series, or even just CdG 2 Man, since they both fit into this family to some degree.

Of the two, Zagorsk. Of the collection; however, Jaisalmer.

Avignon IMO.

Avignon, hands down.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy