Code of Conduct

Default Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie - quick review

After many months I finally gave it a try as I didn't want to spray this and go out and didn't know what I would've faced for the day.

Right finally I had one spray of this today afternoon before 4PM and time is now past midnight which is more than 8 hours since original application.

During these 8 hours I have washed my hand on a number of occasions however I tried to avoid the spray area but still couldn't prevent contamination of the perfume.

Being a Montale it has the potent DNA although it isn't as potent as my "Haute Conc" Black Aoud. (I have a lifetime supply of Black Aoud and haven't seen anything more potent)

Back to the point, after 8 hours it is still going fairly strong and the projection was reasonable for one spray on hand and I think 2+ sprays would be required for full wearing.

The smell: I think it has a very strong overdose of leather and oud which are the two prominent notes in Oud Cuir d'Arabie

Leather is way stronger than the oud and dominates all the way from start to dry down and don't see a huge change in top and basenotes. I currently have 2 * 20ml bottles which I got with my 2 *100ml Black Aoud and can safely say I would be adding a full bottle of Oud Cuir d'Arabie

It is fairly dry from start (haven't seen the finish but it's close to skin scent with nominal projection). It's a very intense smell and suits somebody very serious.

I personally quite liked the smell and the composition, but I think it is a little too much for my age (24) and could use it for serious business meetings etc. but then I think Amouage Epic Man suits that "flashy" image better and does better.

On a scale of 10 I would rate:

Longevity : Montale
    Projection : Montale
    Originality: 10/10 (I haven't smelt anything this dry and intense before with strong leather and oud accords)
    Versatility : Montale or 4/10
    Bottle worthy: 8/10

I must say that the spray is fairly oily and must not be sprayed on light clothes to avoid stains.

Default Re: Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie - quick review

Thanks bgoc for the review.
    I'm glad you enjoy OCd'A and I agree it's a great fragrance. I'm looking forward to adding it to my wardrobe again.
    However, the last bottle I had also featured a prominent rose note that took away from the smoky assertive nature of the scent. I don't know if this was a batch variation issue since my sample before that did not smell so rosy.
    Consistent with most other reviewers' experience I also think OCd'A becomes tame on the skin more quickly than some other Montales. I still love it but just wish it didn't sit so close to the skin.

I didn't smell no rose in this at all. Although I am rubbish at separating notes but I have a fine nose and can pick up smells from a distance.

Will try to sample this one when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I didn't smell no rose in this at all. Although I am rubbish at separating notes but I have a fine nose and can pick up smells from a distance.
    Yes that's why I was surprised too. My sample was all burnt wood, smoke, oud and leather and very animalic.
    When I read about the rose in SOME reviews I couldn't understand. Later my bottle had the rose and was not nearly as animalic.

I WONDER IF THIS HAS TO DO WITH THE APPLICATION METHOD, dab vs. spray?
    I hope we get other opinions here about that.

Haha, "Versatility : Montale or 4/10"

One of the very first Montale's I purchased and one of my favorites in their line.

Its really not that much strong?

Also the Leather in it is that pungent from aoud leather and tuscan leather or is the raw and crude from the classic leather based fragrances?

Blog Entries

I LOVE Cd'A...I wish the amimal/feces note stuck around longer but I Love the leather note and like all Montales, this one Gives you your money's worth. I own Dark Aoud, Black Aoud, Cd'A, and Louban. All have that classic oud note to varying degrees, and all last over 8 hours
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales