Code of Conduct

Thread: Frankincense

Blog Entries

Default Frankincense

Looking for a new fragrance to try...One that is almost pure frankincense. I own some frankincense resin, and burn it in my incense burner and it is "heavenly" Looking for a fragrance with that smell frankincense and smoke maybe?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Frankincense

Have you tried Annick Goutal - Encens Flamboyant?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    No, thanks for the tip...I own Amouage Tribute Attar which boasts frankincense, but It is hidden under the rose. I have tried a few other niches that always seem to give frankincense a supporting role, rather than a "solo"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    No, thanks for the tip...I own Amouage Tribute Attar which boasts frankincense, but It is hidden under the rose. I have tried a few other niches that always seem to give frankincense a supporting role, rather than a "solo"

If you can get your hands on a sample, check out 07 Tanoke by Odin New York. Especially for the fall and winter months.

you can buy samples of these at surrendertochance.com

AbdesSalaam Attar - Frankincense
    Parfum d'Empire Wazamba
    CdG Avignon

Young Living Frankincese essential oil is awesome! This is pure frankincense in a bottle.... smells heavenly....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Hard for me to say what has frankincense in it verses incense, but I know Epic Man has it (which I'm sure you already know), and I am fond of Black Amber by Agonist as well.

V for Men by Clive Christian

A refined frankincense you can find in Cartier L'Heure Mysterieuse.

I was recently browsing the CB I hate Perfume website and saw this: Smoke/Fire From Heaven. Don't know it yet put it could fit into your pattern.

Do you mean olibanum aka lubaan aka frankisense?

These two smell exactly like it. Avignon is another type of incense.
    L'Eau Trois by Diptyque
    Bois d'Encens by Armani

for swap/sale:

I love frankincense for its piney, green, resinous, bright character.
    Here are a few:
    Neal's Yard Frankincense
    Aesop Mystra
    Profumum Olibanum
    Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I love frankincense for its piney, green, resinous, bright character.
    Here are a few:
    Neal's Yard Frankincense
    Aesop Mystra
    Profumum Olibanum
    Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I suggest sampling the following:

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri
    Olibanum by Profumum Roma

Oliban by Mecheri is rose with smoke and a frankincense base. Perfectly unisex and alluring, maybe lighter than what you're looking for.

Olibanum by Profumum is sealing wax, smoke, and frankincense. For me Olibanum creates a reflective space, best described in another Basenotes' thread as 'saudade'. It is incredibly expensive, but a sample could carry you a long ways.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Basenotes Plus

I agree with Profumum Olibanum, but I'll also throw Arso into the mix. To me it is more smokey than Olibanum.

For a more subtle frankincense i would suggest Domenico Caraceni 1913.

Oh no....I was already considering buying Olibanum, but hearing people recommend it makes me want it even more.

Starship, it's very nice. I'll dig out my sample to give it a final smell if I can find it.

for swap/sale:

Last edited by Trauerkraut; 29th January 2013 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Aesop Mystra
    Profumum Olibanum
    For straight forward frankincense, these two would be my picks as well...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Well, frankincense oil and the burned incense (in churches) smell totally different. I have not encountered a perfume that mimics the smoke-part perfectly yet. The closest thing is I guess "Incense" by Norma Kamali. The oil has a lighter, more citrusy smell and of course no smoke! Here I can recommend Profumo's Frankincense single note which has a very clean, citrusy and kind of mineralic smell or Enfleurage's Frankincense from Oman which has a more buttery and flowery smell.
    Last edited by hoschhti; 27th January 2013 at 10:26 AM.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Shanaan by M Micallef
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Arso is sweeter than Olibanum and is my preference. I've worn them both on different hands and Arso wins. There's a split going on right now for a bottle of Arso (and one for Olibanum) if you check that section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Shanaan by M Micallef
    Yep, this one is great!
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Hindu Kush

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Oh no....I was already considering buying Olibanum, but hearing people recommend it makes me want it even more.
    Right! All this love for Olibanum, I'm going to have to sample...I have "Myrrh" resin also, it is MUCH more astringent than "Frankincense" I thought these were proper names for different resins...Am I wrong?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Possum-Pie; 28th January 2013 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    Well, frankincense oil and the burned incense (in churches) smell totally different. I have not encountered a perfume that mimics the smoke-part perfectly yet. The closest thing is I guess "Incense" by Norma Kamali. The oil has a lighter, more citrusy smell and of course no smoke! Here I can recommend Profumo's Frankincense single note which has a very clean, citrusy and kind of mineralic smell or Enfleurage's Frankincense from Oman which has a more buttery and flowery smell.
    I'm going to piggy back on this thread and beg the pardon of the OP.

That's a very interesting distinction to make. I've also been looking for a frankincense fragrance but am very dissatisfied with the ones I've tried so far - Avignon, Cardinal and Tauer's incense rose. I'm looking for something much more sheer, vertical, light, lemony (not citrus). This to me is frankincense and my image seems to match with your view of the essential oil rather than burned resin.

But my experience of frankincense comes not from the oil but from incence burned in a non-church setting. What I'm looking for is what I've smelled in Ethiopian incense and in some Indian incense sticks whose origin I can't trace as I smelled them late at night in a Bangladeshi market.

I actually think the "churchy" references that perfumers and reviewers (amateur and professional) use can be a bit confusing and are, obviously, very culturally specific. Avignon, for example does not remind me of a lofty cathedral. More of a modern-build Anglican church, the prominent notes being damp carpet, musty prayer cushion and beeswax. It's not a particularly romantic association. Avignon for me is padded out with too many other soft, warm, sweet, spicy notes - and that beeswax. Cardinal is similar, though closer to what I'm looking for.

So I think I'm looking for a burned incense smell, but my own experience of burned incense isn't actually that smoky - it's very transparent, thin, even, a touch lemony and very ethereal.

Any help gratefully received, and hopefully it also illuminates the questin of the OP.

Goutal produces some quality scent IMO. However the stuff often has all the longevity of bath and bodyworks sprays. For the price I cannot justify it.

Basenotes Institution

Try Aedes de Venustas by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks.

For essential oil, I recommend this "Boswellia rivae" (some say this company overprices their oil, but were talking $22 for 15ml of potent stuff):

http://www.floracopeia.com/store/pro...oz-%2815-ml%29

It's not as musty as some varieties of Frankincense, and seriously, kind of magical.

An inexpensive, lemony essential oil is the Aura Cacia "Frankincense with Jojoba" —I think it's Boswellia sacra (not clear on whether this is actually different than 'rivae') and it's collected in Somalia. It's bright and energizing. You can get it at Whole Foods.

I'm curious sometimes to try an Omani "Boswellia carterii" of good quality, because that's the classic Arabian incense.

Tauer incense extreme

Avignon
    Montale Full Incense
    Profumum Olibanum

After a lot of looking, decided Armani Bois d'Encens was what I needed. transparent, simple, elegant, dark. If you want to go for a pure essential oil, I can't recommend NYC's Enfleurage's Omani Bowsellia carterii enough. It's an exceptional distillation, particularly the bright citrusy notes, while not compromising the darker earthier aspects. Olibanum I rate highly as well, but more perfumey.

Do you mean this vibe

่just only one springs to my mind is Incense Extreme. (smoky and warm vibe like I'm burning frankincense)
    And many more are smell really frankincense/olibanum(not labdanum not myrrh) but are more transparent-may be un-burn, those are Bois D'Encens, Olibanum, Rock Crystal...