Code of Conduct

Thread: Favorite Combos

Default Favorite Combos

I was wondering about people's favorite combinations. Sometimes I have a fragrance that is just okay, or it seems like it's lacking... something. I can't resist messing with it, especially if it's a sample - adding another fragrance I think will improve it, or add the missing ingredient.

Two of my favorites right now (because I happen to have the perfumes on hand):

Serge Luten's Rose de Nuit and Tauer's Le Maroc pour Elle - who would think these two would meld so beautifully? I had part of a sample of Le Maroc left, so filled it out with my Rose de Nuit, and left the sample for a day or two. Wow, I liked LMPE a lot better with the addition of Rose de Nuit. Not quite as big and opaque, a little more sultry and smooth. It was a little addictive for me and I wore the sample for three days straight until it was gone.

Thierry Mugler Cologne and Chanel No.19 edt - I love TM Cologne fragrance, but sometimes it's just too light. No. 19 gives it a really nice body, a little more substance, and they blend very nicely.

I also have V'Tae's Five Flowers, which has the same problem - it's lovely, but has no bottom, is all air. Somehow, TM Cologne gives it more substance, and the combination gets compliments. One clerk insisted I give her the names of the mix, which was cool. Adding a bit of No. 19 to the blend gives it even more body, though I haven't been cornered by a clerk on this one.

Has anyone tried blending acquatics? I have a bottle of Antica Farmacista Acqua I can't seem to blend with anything, and it doesn't totally thrill me on its own. But it is trickier to blend...

Default Re: Favorite Combos

I never blended fragrances.

I've never blended fragrances, either, but I do layer from time to time.

Yesterday, I wore Diptyque Tam Dao and a few dabs of Serge Lutens De Profundis to the funeral of my friend's father. It was lovely.

The De Profundis and Tam Dao combo sounds really nice - I'll have to try that. De Profundis is one of my new favorites, but I never thought of layering it with Tam Dao.

Layering works for me just as well as blending... I'm not partial to either way.
    Last edited by flathorn; 14th January 2013 at 06:40 PM.

I think layering/blending can be fun; the result is seldom what I had expected! I often layer Un Lys with A la Nuit, but maybe that doesn t count?
    A crazy combo that actually turned out to be very nice on me was CSP Vanille Abricot topped with Cabotine EdT.
    I blended LAP Vanilia with Poivre Piquant and Piment Brulant; also very nice.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by flathorn View Post
    The De Profundis and Tam Dao combo sounds really nice - I'll have to try that. De Profundis is one of my new favorites, but I never thought of layering it with Tam Dao.
    I really quite loved it. You'll have to let me know what you think.

I also really love to layer Fumerie Turque and A La Nuit. Utterly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    I really quite loved it. You'll have to let me know what you think.

I also really love to layer Fumerie Turque and A La Nuit. Utterly amazing.
    I don't have A La Nuit - I'll have to get some, as Musse used it to layer also. It sounds intriguing. I'll let you know on both.

...I don't have any of the fragrances Musse mentioned. Time for another sample order, though I just put one in lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Yesterday, I wore Diptyque Tam Dao and a few dabs of Serge Lutens De Profundis to the funeral of my friend's father. It was lovely. I also really love to layer Fumerie Turque and A La Nuit. Utterly amazing
    My samples finally came in the mail.
    Tam Dao with De Profundis really works. I see why you wore it for your friend's father's funeral (sorry ...). It's sort of contemplative, uplifting and calming.

I also wasn't sure about trying Fumerie Turque again - it was too sweet on my skin a long time ago. But I thought I should give it a go again. Layering is the way to go for this one. A La Nuit turned it into a leather for me.

Musse's Un Lys and A La Nuit - lovely, something I would have never tried without prompting.

Thanks.
    Last edited by flathorn; 20th January 2013 at 08:01 PM.

I wear Aveda Patchouli Oil with most of my patchouli based fragrances. Patchouli is my favorite note!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I liked doing 10 spritzes of Lady Stetson cologne with i shared out spritz of Avignon and then another round of Lady Stetson So about a 20:1 ratio .Might work well (perhaps less spritzes) with Chanel's #22.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Flathorn, I'm glad the Tam Dao/De Profundis and Fumerie Turque/A La Nuit combinations worked for you. I really enjoy them both.

I remembered one other combination I've tried before -- CdG Avignon and SL Un Bois Vanille. That one works decently, too, but I prefer the other two.

I used to add civet oil by Alysha ashley (darn that was a wonderfull oil) to Fracas, the orifinal, this was during the 70's. Guys would fall at your feet spellbound. Recently (spring) I was mixing a little Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Rose with Codray's Jacinthe et Rose. Two really lovely soft roses.

I've historically been a purist in that I have avoided layering, but I've recently been enjoying Goutal's Encens Flamboyant layered over Shalimar. Possibly not a million miles in effect from ExtremeK's Avignon and Un Bois Vanille combo.