Code of Conduct

Default Fahrenheit or Fahrenheit Absolute

Been a fan of the old shcool masterpiece (IMO) for years. I never sampled Fahrenheit Absolute. Which do you prefer and why? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Fahrenheit or Fahrenheit Absolute

I like the original and Aqua Fahrenheit. In my opinion Fahrenheit is better off as a brighter fragrance/fresh fragrance and Absolute takes it to the opposite spectrum. Great fragrance in it's own right, but not something I'd wear very often.

Fahrenheit is no longer as good as it once was. On the other hand, Absolute is a great scent with good longevity. In the top notes there are whiffs of the original Fahrenheit DNA, but Absolute seems to me to be much more in the vein of something like Amouge Epic Man.

I like and own both but prefer the original

Absolute is good but the original is a masterpiece which has stood the test of time. The current version is really good that I just had to purchase a back up bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty Coppersmith View Post
    Fahrenheit is no longer as good as it once was. On the other hand, Absolute is a great scent with good longevity. In the top notes there are whiffs of the original Fahrenheit DNA, but Absolute seems to me to be much more in the vein of something like Amouge Epic Man.
    I've tried Fahrenheit many times the past year. Every time I try it, the gasoline smell is too strong for me. It reminds me of how my hand smells after pumping gas.

I remember wearing Fahrenheit in the very early 1990's. I only had a small 50ml bottle and I didn't wear it often, so I don't remember it as my favorite, but it was nice. It is nothing like Fahrenheit today. In 1990 Fahrenheit had a sweet floral smell to it. There wasn't gasoline in 1990 Fahrenheit.

I've heard a theory that the note that gives the sweet floral smell in Fahrenheit is one that can't be smelled by people over the age of 25 or 30. It's like the theory that some people can't smell Terre D'Hermes because a basenote is not one that all people can smell.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I like the original, Aqua Fahrenheit, and Fahrenheit Absolute. The original formula has been 'watered' down though, so now I tend to use the absolute version more. During the warmer months, i use aqua fahrenheit. Love that juice.

Sound Scents

The original is the one I would choose because in its vintage form it is a masterpiece. Absolute just never clicked with me, and it is a very different scent, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Love and own both.
    Fahrenheit Absolute is a modern masterpiece IMO but it is vastly underrated. You get whiffs of the original in the top notes but it fades rather quick. The smell reminds me of being in a dark forest in the middle of winter at night, with an incense candle burning in my hand and a small bonfire being burned somewhere in the distance. It's captivating, a truly great scent. Lots of incense, some spice, violets, good dose of our that is all well blended. Of course there are other notes but these are just some off the top of my head. It's not a screamer but longevity is amazing.

The original Fahrenheit is just a masterpiece that has indeed, as mentioned above, stood the test of time. I love the gasoline note and the overall feel it gives me. One of my all time favourite fragrances that deserves all the recognition and praise it gets.

With that said, I still prefer the original over absolute, its just a classic and I reach for it more often. Both great though

Not a fan of Aqua

I much prefer Fahrenheit to Fahrenheit Absolute. Fahrenheit Absolute has this strong cumin presence in the opening that ruins the fragrance for me. While the original Fahrenheit is a timeless classic that I wore quite a bit when I was younger. I have been meaning to pick up a full bottle again in the near future.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Absolute is quite a different beast, very woody and dirty. I prefer the original.

sjg3839: pm me, I'll send you a sample of the absolute.

Both are great but Absolute is easier to wear and IMO less love/hate fragrance than original. If I had to pick 1 of them for my collection and wear it once a month it would be original. If I had to pick 1 and wear it everyday it would be no doubt Absolute.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Absolute is more a modern take, not less serious and is night frag that acquires proper attire. If I'd have to choose, I'd choose the old Fahrenheit as it really has this certain something that really triggers emotions.

Original Fahrenheit hands down..

The original. I like aspects of Absolute, the top notes, the incense later on, but the middle can be a bit murky, and the vanilla doesn't help. Not entirely sure about this one. Only scent that the girlfriend really disliked also.

Oh, and later on there can be a somewhat annoying woody note, similar to say Lolita Lempicka au Masculin.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 28th January 2013 at 11:52 AM.

Gotcha! Appreciate that guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Absolute is quite a different beast, very woody and dirty. I prefer the original.

sjg3839: pm me, I'll send you a sample of the absolute.

Dependent

FA is a totally different fragrance. Basically the only facet it shares with the original is violet leaf.

It combines violet leaf (fresh, cool, green, sappy, very slightly soapy) with cumin (animalic, spicy, sharp, curryish) which is a disastrous combination, made even worse by the sweet vanilla. Imagine an Indian curry dessert . . . yeah. Kinda ridiculous they didn't mention cumin in the pyramid, but they rightly assumed it would scare people off. And well it should.