Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Are there any perfumers that have thumbed their noses at IFRA regulations?

As I understand it, and I am willing to be corrected, the rules are not enforced. And yet most classics have been reduced to olifactory memories of themselves or discontinued. New fragrances are for the most part quite unexciting to me. I suspect but do not know for sure that independant house Slumberhouse uses what he wants. Perhaps it is time for a consumers revolt demanding that the regulations be changed allowing fragrances to contain a warning label like cigarettes. "CAUTION: This fragrance contains oakmoss and .008% of the population may have a minor reaction and might sneeze."
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: Are there any perfumers that have thumbed their noses at IFRA regulations?

Interesting!

Default Re: Are there any perfumers that have thumbed their noses at IFRA regulations?

I guess I just don't think too much about this.

What penalties, if any, are there for not abiding by IFRA regulations? And do those penalties only apply to a certain region (e.g. Europe or US)?

Also, is the reason why IFRA bans most ingredients because of just allergic reactions? Or is it due to more serious matters such as carcinogens?

Just curious. If the reasons are mainly just due to allergens, then I think the IFRA bans are a shame.

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by CaliDude; 28th January 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Yes, I can proudly say that I thumb my Nose at IFRA!

As I tell people, I don't compose to a standard of weakness, but I compose to a standard of Excellence.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Most IFRA restrictions have little to do with allergens, carcinogens, or anything else having to do with your health.

It's enforced strongly. Most good perfumers work for companies like Givaudan, Firmenich, IFF, Symrise, etc. All of the companies are members of the IFRA. Same goes for all of the perfumes houses. IFRA restrictions apply to most all cosmetics.

As others have said, IFRA restrictions have to do with skin reactions, not with serious things like carcinogenic or the like. IFRA applies to firms that are part of the lobby, which means, pretty much anything because it involves the big aromachemical companies; and IFRA does check that the perfumes on the market follow the rules (though I am not sure what the internal punishment is).

cacio

Compliance with IFRA in the EU *IS* voluntary. But So far, nobody of consequence has been out of compliance. They like it that they have had 100% compliance.

However EVEN worse now is the stupidity coming out of Brussels and the new regulations that will go FAR beyond IFRA's inanities.

There is no IFRA compliance demand in the USA. Except that compliance in the EU is assumed to be needed, even for a USA company, hence all mass market fragrance companies are running scared, and formulate to the standard of weakness known as IFRA.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon