Code of Conduct

Default Where do YOU spray your fragrance to make it last all day?

I have tried spraying it on my arms because I like to keep the fragrance away from my nose, but it doesn't seem to last a long time on my arms.. probably because they are constantly exposed to the sun/humidity and they brush my side as I walk--which probably wears away at the fragrance?

So... the title question ^

Default Re: Where do YOU spray your fragrance to make it last all day?

One chest, one on both sides of neck and sometimes one on each arm. Depends on the fragrance.

Neck and chest.

You can try a handkerchief to get longevity. I do that to see how certain notes hold up on cloth if they don't hold up well on skin (if I like them and want to make them last longer).

Lower chest on the shirt
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

As others were saying, clothes keep a frag really well, so shirt, handkerchief, etc.

cacio

On my chest, in front of the mirror. It probably helps that this means some gets on my clothing.

I use non scented moisturizer and one spray to the chest with most fragrances, works well.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As others were saying, clothes keep a frag really well, so shirt, handkerchief, etc.

cacio
    This.

As a general rule, if you want better longevity/projection, then it's always advisable to spray on clothing. The weaker the fragrance, the more sprays needed on the clothes for it to last.

The only exception to the rule is if the fragrance is prone to staining the clothes. Fortunately, I haven't encountered that.

Two sprays to the chest, in the same spot.
    One spray to the back of the neck, and one spray on
    each forearm.

*Don't do this with powerhouse fragrances, like Aventus, Bogart Pour Homme, etc.
    two sprays to the chest is all you need with those*

My neck, below my ears area and chest.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Behind my ears, elbow arch, sometimes on the forearms.

Shirt, hair and back of neck twice each.

Has to be on clothes for me if I want it to last all day.
    Unless it's Egoiste. (Or Le male, which it usually isn't)

One spray on the nape of the neck,
    then one spray to the front of the neck.
    One small spray on each arm.

Back of neck on hairline and on sweater or clothing if it doesn't stain
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

2 on chest and front and back of the neck

Shirt. Not only does it last longer, the whole development, top, heart, bottom, is slower. Hold the sprayer about a foot away, and the little cloud shouldn't stain. I spray once, each side, in the shoulder-upper pec area.

Definitely need a couple sprays to the chest. This way it gets onto your shirt and helps it last much longer. If it's a light scent, a couple more sprays to the arms, neck etc. will help as well.

Each side of neck and wrists. I have to spray wrists and smell them through out the day as a barometer for longevity and strength. With neck or chest sprays I get used to them and find myself over applying.

I spray 1 on chest 2 on neck....

Got a small Thank you card from Ralph Lauren which shares some fragrance spraying tips i.e;
    1. Spray some fragrance on a tissue and slip it inside your bag to diffuse its scent.
    2. A few drops of perfume inside the water tank of your iron will perfume your clothes exquisitely.
    3. Allow your fragrance to naturally evaporate on skin to help it last longer.
    4. Avoid spraying fragrance on skin before going under the sun as this might provoke sun spots.
    5. A light spray on hair is recommended as the fragrance sets very well on it.

I hope it helps :-)
    I really like the Idea no 2 and it works very well.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Quote Originally Posted by staticx View Post

Got a small Thank you card from Ralph Lauren which shares some fragrance spraying tips i.e;
    1. Spray some fragrance on a tissue and slip it inside your bag to diffuse its scent.
    2. A few drops of perfume inside the water tank of your iron will perfume your clothes exquisitely.
    4. Avoid spraying fragrance on skin before going under the sun as this might provoke sun spots.

Interesting!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Yes, good advice.

I adore how scents evolve on skin, but one gets to enjoy the wearing and evolution so much longer on fabric. Also, it increases projection!

cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Shirt. Not only does it last longer, the whole development, top, heart, bottom, is slower. Hold the sprayer about a foot away, and the little cloud shouldn't stain. I spray once, each side, in the shoulder-upper pec area.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Well, it depends of type of fragrance - like Eau de Cologne or Eau de Toilette/Eau de Parfum.

Eau de Cologne: chest, each sides of the neck, both wrists inside and both back of the hands (best place to proof of the durability of the fragrance!)

Eau de Toilette/Parfum: both sides of the neck and just both back of the hands. That's it!
    My ten favorites in September (fragrances alphabetical)

Blu di Provenza Pal Zileri Collezione Privata
    Cedre Ambré Pierre Cardin Collection
    Eau de Cologne of Turnball & Asser Penhaligon's
    Eau de France - Rue Rancé Rancé 1795
    Eau de Santal Floris
    Homme Marbert
    No. 88 Czech & Speake
    Pour Homme S.T. Dupont
    Royal Arms Diamond Edition Floris Private Collection
    The Dreamer Versace

Chest spraying usually does the trick for me, almost irrespective of the fragrance concentration.

Basenotes Plus

Regardless of the scent I spray in the morning, I always have at least a hint of it at the end of the day on my wrist and/or chest - that is, of course, if I didn't purposely/accidentally wash it off.

If I want it to last all day and have better projection, I spray on clothes. I don't prefer this because the scent on my clothes doesn't react with my body chemistry, so it almost feels "dead," especially on the drydown which is almost invariably my favorite part of the experience.

There have been whole discussion threads dedicated to the science of application and longevity. I subscribe to the less popular school of thought that says that spraying fragrances on the backs of your arms (if you have hair on your arms) gets you better longevity, and I think that I have proven this theory time and time again. I guess somehow the scent gets trapped in the hairs and lasts longer. I do agree that a spray on the back of the neck works well, and of course a spray or two to the backs of the knees since scent rises.

If you have hair on your arms and you have never tried applying to the backs of your arms I would suggest you experiment with it and see if it works for you.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by jbthorpe; 3rd February 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Chest spraying usually does the trick for me, almost irrespective of the fragrance concentration.
    This.
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Have you tried the vaseline or oil experiment? I go with odourless oil as it gets absorbed in the skin and makes it moist to increase the longevity of the fragrance (just enough oil that would take dryness away from the skin, don't bathe in it). Also I go with chest with certain scents, and neck and arms with others, but it mostly depends upon the occasion and the fragrance you want to use, like for parties the back of the neck and one in-front with strong projecting scents, for work I go with the arms as the sleeves cover it and one on the chest. All the combinations depend on your preference of projection and the power of the scent, all I can say is keep your skin moisturised to increase your longevity, and also that the fragrance that you apply on your skin gets absorbed into your clothes with the constant contact and rubbing off on it.

Recently the only place I spray the fragrance is my neck. Only a few ones from my collection truly do last all day (morning to evening), but generally front and back of my neck (Tobacco Vanille, Dior Homme Intense, Opiums all last 12+ hours that way)

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I agree with the posters who spray on their clothing to make it last all day. One spray on the shirt (from a distance of about 12-18 inches) and then also on the neck twice and the upper chest once or twice.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by autumngleeman View Post
    I agree with the posters who spray on their clothing to make it last all day. One spray on the shirt (from a distance of about 12-18 inches) and then also on the neck twice and the upper chest once or twice.
    I also agree. My fragrances seem to last a lot longer when sprayed on my shirts. I have dry skin so fragrances do not last for very long on me.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I saw three great suggestions that I do because I have a problem with frags lasting on me too. I have dry skin.
    1) Spray your clothes.
    2) Spray your hair.
    3( Use an unscented moisturizer on your skin before you apply your frag. It gives the frag something to hold on to to increase the longevity.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Top of forearms
    Neck
    Shirt

To enhance the longevity increase the sprays on the same spot. For example 2 sprays one over the other on the neck would do the trick.
    Well this again depends on the strength of the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

+1, on all three approaches!

One must always look at fabric as a first choice to increase longevity (as well as projection). Plus, how a scent develops on fabric is often different than skin. Due to the greater longevity, top notes stay longer, the heart can be more revealing and the base notes gradually show as the fragrance evolves. It is very common for a fragrance to have a more 3-stage/"three-dimensional" feel on fabric versus a blast of top notes and then a movement to dry down. We have to, as wearers of the fragrance, pause and really breathe deep and take notice of the notes during the top and heart on our skin. On fabric, you have time and different notes reveal themselves. To me, a full-wearing of any scent must include at least 1-2 sprays (or more) on my shirt. An undershirt if the fragrance stains. And, it helps to spray from a bit of distance to 'separate' the notes onto fabric.

Spraying your hair is great idea. Something people tend to overlook as scent gathers onto protein well. You will smell it yourself more. I find it incredibly sexy when I smell my wife's body that has a rich, intoxicating scent on it and then when nestling my nose into her hair during intimacy finding that she (almost always) sprays a few shots of fragrance there. You, again, have more time with the scent and it projects more.

Last, but not least - for those of us who wear fragrance daily, the alcohol in the compositions can dry out your skin (on top of having dry skin already). So, applying a neutral (unscented) After Shave Balm/skin moisturizer is very essential to me. I use both Nivea and a thicker product, Gentleman Jack, which works wonderfully. Again - make sure you buy unscented and give it 5-10 minutes to absorb into your skin. Then, using a layering method...apply (depending on the scent) a moderate/standard wearing of the fragrance. For some, since you've also applied a couple of shots to your hair (yes, including men) and also the all-important shirt/undershirt...one could be satisfied. However, you can also wait 10-20 minutes and then reapply a lighter scent on the same, exact spots you initially applied (neck - front & back, backs of hands, etc.) This increased layering only takes, for most scents, a single spray or two to really accentuate the wearing.

This is very subjective to the scent. I leave discretion up to the individual - but all of these methods truly help longevity. However, alas...there are times when one must accept that a scent (especially current formulations where oakmoss and other fixatives are no longer present) will simply not last all day...even if you followed all three of these suggestions. Longevity, to me, is somewhat over-rated in scent. I am not taking for granted Vintage juice that does indeed last, but instead - focus on the scent itself. Some things don't last long in life, no matter what. Enjoy the moment for you know it will not last long. Reapply, either from bottle or a travel spray (as you can always decant and touch-up a wearing mid-day or whenever). The key is to wear a fragrance and enjoy it. If a scent has a short duration...but you love it, come to accept it. Just plan ahead.

My final suggestion (if you really want long-lasting scent) is to pursue Vintage bottlings of fragrances, but be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort hunting them down and winning Ebay auctions, etc.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by southerngardens View Post
    I saw three great suggestions that I do because I have a problem with frags lasting on me too. I have dry skin.
    1) Spray your clothes.
    2) Spray your hair.
    3( Use an unscented moisturizer on your skin before you apply your frag. It gives the frag something to hold on to to increase the longevity.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Just keep a smal atomizer in a pocket-problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by staticx View Post

Some good tips here. I'll have to try the iron thing to see if it works.