Code of Conduct

Question Tobacco/smoke help

Hello there just wondered if anyone has some knowledge on this? For fun I'm just starting to work on a coffee based fragrance but want to back up the coffee notes with a cigarette tobacco and if need be, the usual pipe tobacco kinda scent.
    But i've noticed that on sites like perfumers apprentice etc the tobacco scents pretty much boil down to aroma molecules n all that instead of oils etc which im really new to.
    Does anyone know of a name for tobacco smoke molecule or like the ashtray kinda vibe i can search for so i can track down things to look at? It seems most sell the dry tobacco/pipe tobacco (which is lovely) but not what i need.
    When i dig my nose in fresh coffee grinds i definately pick up a cigarette smell in there too.

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Tobacco/smoke help

As far as Naturals go there's nothing quite like Tobacco Absolute! It's just really lovely...

Why don't you try that for the tobacco...?
    As for the ashy smoky part, how about Lapsang Souchong Tea Abs? I think White Lotus has it.
    Really, There's a whole pile of smoky things, all of the Choyas (3), Cade, Birch Tar Rectified, etc...

Lots to pick from , and that's not even including some flavoring elements that one might find.

I don't think that you might find a tobacco/smoke molecule all in one, but you might sort of think about Ketoisophorone.. but the one that seems closest is 2,3-dimethyl benzofuran, which states not to us it for fragrances.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Hi,

i used PA's Tobacco Absolute in combination with a little Vanilla, for the pipe-tobacco effect for a more sweet aroma, but you are looking for the more ashy or burning parts?
    Then Tabanon(e) at 10% diluted is a *great* aroma chemical to start with the 'tobacco' skeleton, though rather expensive; but i love it.
    The usual suspects to complete for the leathery/dry/smoke effects are IMHO Oriniff, Suedral, Damascone beta, all at very low dosages like 1% or even .01% dilution for the tobacco hints. Castoreum HX can be used for the 'tar' or 'burn' effect.
    For inspiration in formulations, you could visit: https://sites.google.com/site/perfumerecipes/
    Happy perfuming!
    Best,

Jeroen.
    Last edited by jsparla; 28th January 2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Rephrasing for a non native speaker ;-)

Awesome :-) some great advice there guys I'll look even more into that tobacco absolute!
    How would you actually say it smells though? What's the closest thing it reminds you of? Just so I have an idea :-)

Thanks!

That's a difficult one, if i had to construct a Tobacco absolute replacement, i guess a combination of
    White lotus, Tea, Stemone, a hint of Levistamel (roasted almond sweetness) and some licorice hints as in Toscanol.
    I don't sit behind my perfume organ right now, i'll probably give you an update when i do.
    On the other hand, a few ml of Tobacco Absolute is rather cheap, and it's useful in a lot of formulations. It's a safe bet to buy. Tabanon(e) on the other hand (i really love the nuances in it) is rather expensive.
    And if i understand your wishes correctly, the best way to create the additional smell of burning ashes and smoke is found in the other ingredients, combined with either T Abs or Tabanon will do the job
    Best regards,

Jeroen.

Oh Yes, You're Right JSparla, my analysis of commercially available Pipe Tobacco is that it is loaded with vanillin. I'd forgotten that because I distance myself from the use of Vanillin and ethyl vanillin.

And Because OP's exposure was to naturals, I responded in Kind.

Yes, the Tabanon is extremely nice, and I am SO very happy that PA now carries it...
    PA's Tobacco accord is pretty good to.

The Tobacco Abs smells just like real tobacco leaves, and with out additives as in commercial tobacco... It is really beautiful
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Slumberhouse jeke .

If you're shooting for "tobacco smoke" you might actually consider trying the technique described JSparla here

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/323...e-tincture-DIY

I found it while crawling the back logs of the DIY forum.

Dry Hay abs smells quite nearly to Tabacco absolute, both are sweet and dry, cumarinic. Don't laugh please, but I think Azarbre also have dry, paper-pencils aspects, with honey undertones; scented tobacco-like smell for me. Without smoke unfortunately.