Code of Conduct

Default A simple, fast, cheap, and effective way, to PROTECT your old perfumes.

(don't know where to post this thread, anyway, please excuse me. Andre)

-----------------------------------------------------------
    HOW TO PROTECT AND PRESERVE OLD PERFUMES in "SPLASH" BOTTLES (tutorial with pictures)

Okay my friends, I'd want to share with you a secret. Well, not a secret since it's well-known by many people, but seldom used!

A small secret for "preserving" perfumes for years and years...
    I use it since 1997 , and this trick (or a similar one) *should* be used, now and in the immediate future....

(a foreword: I'm a Biologist with chemical background, and I worked many years in scientific labs. So I think to have a little experience in chemical stuff....
    ...and it could be useful when applied to perfumes, huh ? )

You have two methods:
    1- the small caps
    2- the "Parafilm":
    it's a very cheap "paraffin tape", we used in our labs to *PERFECTLY* isolate any substance.

Let's go with some explanation!

Here we have tre great perfumes from the past, all splash bottles.
    - An extraordinary KOUROS by Yves Saint Laurent, year 1981 (one of the first bottles ever produced). It needs no further explanations....
    - An invaluable "TIFFANY for Men", vintage 1st edition, the Jacques Polge's masterpiece, reported as "...a Chanel better than Chanel", year 1989, maybe one of the last ones to -reportedly only for vintage bottles- contain real "amber gris" from whales.
    - A bottle of rare "Vivara" pour femme by Emilio Pucci, in poor conditions, mid Seventies.

THE SMALL CAPS:
    basically you have to buy small caps of different diameter, and use it to "close" bottles.

Firstly, you must check if the perfume cap is "flat" inside, as in this case. (Vivara by Pucci)

Now, you can "insert" gently the cap with its appropriate diameter.

And here's the bottle with the small cap finally inserted

It's perfect! There is no leaking!

Now you can put the classic cap over the small one

That's all! Splash bottle is protected, and you should only store in an a dark, cool place.

But what happen when the cap is NOT flat? (TIFFANY)

There are lot of problems for using small caps! and unfortunately, these classical perfume caps don't preserve from evaporation.

Now you have to use the "PARAFILM", a common laboratory tool used for preserve and isolate any substance.

Basically it's a VERY extensible and adhesive paraffin film

with lot of other properties, it's very useful.

To prepare a "sheet", simply separe from protective paper and use scissors

Here you can see its incredible extensive properties

You can extense it quite a lot without breaking it

an example with a cup full with water.

Since PARAFILM is very ADHESIVE it's easy to cover the entire cup.

Et voila! no leaking!

Seen from bottom

not a single drop of water (or gas, vapor etc.) is missing

So, cut a small sheet of PARAFILM....

and completely isolate the UPPER part your precious bottle of TIFFANY for MEN

REMEMBER to leave the film edge non-aderhent: it will be more easy remove the film in the future.

Similarly you will do with your priceless bottle of KOUROS. since there is a flat cap you should use the small caps; otherwise you can use the PARAFILM if you don't find a cap with identical diameter.

ET VOILA !!

But...Hurry up! last splash bottles were produced in 1999-2000, and so many perfumes from the past are still evaporating and losting some marvelous note!
    And remember to store perfumes in a dark, cool place.

But now, your precious splash bottles are preserved for decades to come.
    You will be able to open these bottles in front of your sons, daughter, nephews...
    ...and you will be able to tell them: smell it, my darling, these are the ancient perfumes from our past days..."

Default Re: A simple, fast, cheap, and effective way, to PROTECT your old perfumes.

Great info! Thanks. Where can this Parafilm be purchased?

Default Re: A simple, fast, cheap, and effective way, to PROTECT your old perfumes.

We purchased it in USA, precisely at a Chicago factory as you can read in the pictures

but it's very common, you can buy online everywhere..... just find "parafilm sealing film", "parafilm sealing tape"
    very cheap too.

Thanks for sharing. But my 200 or so bottles are all spray.

for swap/sale:

My bottles are 96% spray.

Thank god for sprays!

of course, but in early days sprays were very rare, and perfumes were of greatest quality.... we urge to do something to preserve the few ones arrived until our days.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thank god for sprays!

Great Info, thanks for share.

Impressive, thanks for sharing

Thanks Andre. I have many bottles with a built in sprayer, so I wonder if I should put parafilm around them ? A helpful thread, nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    ...um....good for you.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Perfume guru Michael Edwards stores his spray bottles upside down - claiming that it stops the sprayer seals from drying out and the bottle going off.
    Some bottles are made with upside down sprayers (like Rochas Man), some can be easily stored upside down if they have a wide flat top, but most can't easily be stored upside down. However, while the bottle is more than half full, the same result can be achieved by laying the bottle on its side.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th April 2013 at 12:08 AM.

Good idea.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

So nice of you to share this information,
    Much appreciated,
    May god bless you in all your endeavours.

Regards.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the very useful information
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Thanks for the very useful information
    & well presented Andre

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Thank you! Very useful !
    It is similar to condom-physics.

Very nicely done! I don't have any bottles like this, but I'm sure this will come in handy for many of us (probably eventually me)!

Thank you for taking the time to help us out and let me learn something new.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Appreciated your efforts very much Andre.
    i like the step by step photos, kinda feel like ifixit for perfumes.

Very interesting. I keep my 'specials' in a cool dark place slightly tilted

Another excellent post! You are fast becoming a vintage fragrance guru!

Thanks for letting us know. Very useful on non-sprayer bottles.