Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Please recommend a gourmand for a 14 year old

Happy Thanksgiving,

My niece has requested a fragrance for her birthday. She is 14 years old and is currently enjoying Ed Hardy and Viva la Juicy. I am wearing Pure Malt today and she was raving about the chocolate and caramel notes in it. Is there something in the gourmand category that you might recommend for me that might be appropriate for a young woman?

Ben

Default Re: Please recommend a gourmand for a 14 year old

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Ben from NY.

What a nice uncle you are.

These? (currently -20%).

http://www.parfum1.com/les-senteurs-...urs+Gourmandes

Yep. What about Pink Sugar? Oh and the Blue Sugar is for men but not manly smelling at all. It smells so great. Smells of licorice. Or Harajuku Lovers. They come with a cute doll on top. most are fruity or gourmand. Or what about LaVanilla (Vanilla Blueberry, Vanilla Passion and Vanilla Coconut). YOu can buy all of these at Sephora.

Ava Luxe's Love's True Bluish Light has gotten lots of love from my daughter since she was a young teen. I'd recommend that.
    Or maybe Annick Goutal's Vanille Exquise. Both of these are on opposite ends of the cost spectrum.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Unfortunately teenagers have a tendency to drown into oceans of pink syrup. If there was a way to steer them away from there...

Immortelle/helychrisium perhaps? (It does have caramel and sweet note, but together with some more interesting deep and woody notes): Immortelle de Corse by l'Occitane (relatively cheap, sweeter), or Annick Goutal Sables ($$$).

Dune by Dior or Missoni are interesting florals over a background of chocolate.

cacio

Sur la Plage

Aquolina Pink Sugar or Chocolovers
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Angel Angel Angel Angel Angel!!!!!

+1 Angel, or Prada Candy

I think L de Lempicka would be a nice choice - it's warm with cinnamon, soft and sweet, like Snickerdoodles with a bit of orange zest ...and she might really like the bottle, too.

And, although it's more of a fruity gourmand, Nina Ricci's new Nina is very good toffee apple scent, and it also comes in a pretty bottle.

+1 for Pink Sugar, very pretty, but it is also very sweet, and I think you could do better than this for a special gift. +1 for Prada Candy too, but in my experience it disappears into a mere hint of a sweet and musky skin scent rather quickly.

Although I hate to be disagreeable, and with all due respect to cacio, I think Dune is a crazy suggestion for a fourteen year old. And it's not classified as a gourmand, at least I've never seen any list of notes (intended or imagined) that contain chocolate, or anything else really gourmandy.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Vanille Chocolat by Laurence Dumont

Yes. I'm not a teenager, but I do like simple gourmands. I really recommend:
    Ralph Lauren Hot- maple vanilla goodness
    Lolita Lempicka- ivy and licorice
    Il Profumo Vanille Bourbon- sweet, rich vanilla
    Flowerbomb- sugar-coated floral vanilla
    CSP Vanille Abricot- sweet vanilla with apricot preserves
    And, my favorite at that age: Buberry Brit- almond vanilla.

+1 Lolita Lempicka
    +1 Nina

Also like to chuck in some of the Bath and Body Works line. They're inexpensive, pleasant, straight-forward, and come in a myriad of foody-smells like warm vanilla sugar, harvest apple, cucumber melon, etc. I remember the cooler girls in middle school all using those hand sanitizers and lotions.

*Edit* I forgot the DKNY Be Delicious line. It's not a gourmand line but if your niece might like fruits, this might be a good one. I remember really liking it when I was her age.
    Last edited by march11hare; 26th November 2011 at 01:33 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you all for these wonderful suggestions. I can't wait to sniff these. I might just buy two. BIG SMILE!!

Ben

Hillaire

Totally plus two for Nina and L.

Oh, I gave my niece, who is twelve, Ferragamo Incanto Dream... a FF and not a gourmand, but still not caustic and pretty pleasing.

another +1 for Nina!

At the risk of sounding like a Ditto-head:

+1 Nina Ricci 'Nina' (new version in the pretty pink & silver toffee-apple bottle)
    +1 Missoni (strange but enticing combination of ripe melon underscored with lively, dark chocolate notes)
    +1 Lolita Lempicka EDP (a sweet, Angel-like mix of liquorice and herbs)
    +1 Angel EDP (gourmand power-bomb classic from the 90s, a 25ml bottle would probably last your niece several years as a tiny dab goes a long way...)

And how about:
    YSL Cinema EDP (smooth and enticing scent like warm apple pie)
    Angel EDT (newly released, comes in a beautiful blue comet-shaped bottle, the scent is lighter and perhaps more wearable for a young girl than Angel EDP)
    Badgley Mischka EDP (original) - 100ml can be found for a very good price online at places such as fragrancenet.com, has a beautiful fragrance like ripe brandied fruits with a vanilla custard base)
    Angel A*Men (ignore the silly marketing, this doesn't smell manly at all but like a succulent, sweet burst of fresh chocolate mint)
    Bond No 9 New Harlem (marketed as 'unisex' so guys and girls can wear it happily, rather pricey, but has lovely fresh coffee-caramel notes that your niece might really like)

Good luck with your perfume-hunting expedition, I'm sure you'll find some fragrances your niece will really treasure.

I love "L" by Lolita Lempicka -BUT !!- the downside to that is that many young girls will tote a fragrance along with them in a purse or backpack. The Lolita fragrances' sprayers often won't fare well with this kind of abuse.And Angel (?)on a young )teen (who is more than likely GOING to overspray??)hmm maybe Angel Innocent (no nuclear patchouli) or at least the new edt .
    Laura Mercier may have a good gourmond option(I liked the Marrons Glaces(sp?)and have the Almond Coconut.Molinard or Galimard may have something . I do second Missoni(bottle travels well too!)
    Hanae Mori -berry & vanilla.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Blog Entries

Vanille Insensee Cologne Absolue by Atelier Cologne. Smells like warm sweet, youthful VANILLA, but not like a chemical factory. Available at Sephora. The SA said it was by far her favorite of the Atelier Colognes. If she loves vanilla, it's pretty impossible to dislike this, unless she is disappointed because she doesn't recognize the brand name.
    "When the milk,
    tasted like perfume,
    you had been drinking from the carton,
    and I knew."

Quote Originally Posted by NeonGrey View Post
    Vanille Insensee Cologne Absolue by Atelier Cologne. Smells like warm sweet, youthful VANILLA, but not like a chemical factory. Available at Sephora. The SA said it was by far her favorite of the Atelier Colognes. If she loves vanilla, it's pretty impossible to dislike this, unless she is disappointed because she doesn't recognize the brand name.
    Good new range -- shame they are all 200ml.
    How about Bois Farine -- nice bready/cookie type aroma

Angel, edt is better
    Candy Prada
    La vie est belle Lancome
    Flowerbomb

+1 Lolita Lempicka
    +1 Prada Candy

Rochas' Tocade would work too.
    http://www.scentsate.com/