Code of Conduct

Default How important is packaging?

I am working on putting out my own fragrances, The problem i am finding is I dont want it to look cheap for as the packaging presentation but a the same time i dont want my cost to be so high that folks wont want to shell out money for a fragrance they never heard of.

My question is Would you pay more for something that has no effect and the actual function of the product inside simply because it was prettier?

I could go as simple as a generic atomizer with a screw on cap (+ $1 to cost ) or as for as bulb sprayers. ( $30 + to cost)

I could really use some help on this.

Default Re: How important is packaging?

I don't find bulb atomisers work very well, so I actually prefer something that performs its function over aesthetics.

Splash Bottles Suck

I also would not recommend bulb atomizers.

How about something like the glass decants The Perfumed Court or Surrender to Chance use, with the metal caps? I've always thought their packaging was lovely and it's something that has kept me buying from them. You can also design your own labels to personalize.

well I was just using that as a example, I was not going with bulbs.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It really depends. Do you have a loyal fan base? If you do, product packaging may not be that critical as long as the spray mechanism works adequately. But there will always be customers who prefer the packaging to look as good as the fragrance. I'm one of them. That's probably why I have By Kilian, Clive Christian, XERJOFF, etc.

I find modern aesthetics of clean lines work well to keep packaging costs down. See Serge Lutens' elegant styling for example. Slim travel-style sprayers like the ones used by The Perfumed Court are also worth considering as they can be carried around easily. Rope in a graphics designer friend if you can especially on the fonts and design layout as aesthetically pleasing packaging give the impression that a lot of care and thought have gone behind its production, acting to entice new customers into giving it a fair try.

Congratulations on your new line. Do tell us more.

I my self like good packaging and bottles and I want to go that route but I just don't have enough cash to get what I want. I mostly sell Body oils and I refuse to package it in the 1/3 oz roll ons because you see the designer knock off oils at almost every corner store. Im not saying these aren't good oils but I put a lot of time in blending my oils and I don't want people to think Im just selling the same old oils everyone else sells. I now sell my oils in 2 Dram Amber bottles, but might be changing up soon.

For as fragrance sprays I feel if I want people to even try it I need to have nice packaging but this drives cost up and Im just not sure folks will pay what I need to turn a profit if I go with a nice package presentation.

As I was writing this I thought Since I am new what if I only sold my blends in sample sizes? The bottle would be modest and I think this would encourage more folks to give it a try and once they sample it they would be more inclined to pay a higher price for a full sized dressed up bottle. What do you think?

Congratulations from me too.

If trying to establish oneself as a relatively new, but also surprising, creative fragrance brand, catchy, exclusive and more individualized packaging certainly gains attention and in turn might help an easier takeover of larger, more profitable and more knowledgeable market share.
    If the brand is already established, any utilitarian, functional packaging, destined to comply with minimal legal and quality- related requirements and simply to store the fragrances will do, since the actual content is already known and valued. Unless catering for a very strict, elitist and lavishly spending customer base, expecting a regular output of exclusive packaging on every purchase.

Thanks

For as market I really don't want tons of folks wearing my scents, I think that cheapens it and defeats the point of wearing a fragrance. I don't want to smell like everyone else. As long as I have a few loyalist who love what I put out I'm happy.

I like how Tom Ford bottles all look the same, well for the most part. I like bold block boxy shapes rather than curves. I wanted to go this route then I was considering having a distinct bottle for each fragrance but that would cause tons of money and time trying to brand each fragrance.

Does anyone know of a good site where they sell a good variety of bottles?

Another question What about size? I think if a bottle is to big, has to much juice in it its cheap. I know I know but I was traumatized from my younger days when I first started wearing colognes I went into the dollar store and they had these big as bottles of colognes, like 16 oz lol and I thought I was getting a deal. That stuff smelled like a Jolly rancher covered with alcohol ever since then I have been scared of big bottles of colognes . What is a ideal size to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsucker View Post
    I actually prefer something that performs its function over aesthetics.
    Agree.

I agree that a modern minimalist aesthetic, perhaps with a personal label with a clean logo might be a way to have both good presenation and moderate costs. A website I know with several bottle choices is bestbottles.com. They also sell things like velvet pouches or the like, which can also be useful.

For oils, I like a lot Arabian style oil bottles (small exhagonal bottles with a plastic wand), which I find perfect for oils. I deeply hate roll-ons. These Arabian style oil bottles are more for perfumed oil than for body oils (ie they are only in sizes up to 12ml). Bestbottles sells these too.

cacio

I am a sucker for simple shapes with simple but elegant labels - Byredo and Dior Eau Noire come to mind. If you go in that direction, the challenge is to get the label right and to do something unique with the cap to give the overall presentation a distinct profile. You might want to check Chinese importers for glass bottles. They are bound to have access to glass manufacturers and since you would be looking for a simple shape, whether it be square, rectangle, or round, there are bound to be multitudes of choices.

my problem is budget, I HAVE LOOKED AT GETTING THIS DONE OVER SEAS Sorry caps) but they want me to order 10,000 pieces. there is no way I could do that.

My next question is this I have found some bulk box shaped bottles but they don't come with perfume sprayers. I don't think sprayer are made for these types of bottles. Is there a way to fit a perfume sprayer on a bottle that was not designed for a sprayer? it would be a non refillable bottle if it is possible.

Since I cant glam up the bottle I guess I will have to go all out with the labels

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I like the idea of sample sized packaging. You can price them much more competitively. Start small, market your samples, build up your customer base through social media. Think Laurie Erickson & her Sonoma Scent Studio. If your product is good, the customers will come. You can always upgrade your bottle designs later.

I wouldn't use bottles that are not designed to fit with spray tops. They may leak. You wouldn't want that on your new brand. Best to keep your bottle functional but do put some creative thought into your label design. Incorporate an intriguing monogram perhaps? Imo a signature monogram will last through many packaging redesigns.

I do think that the bottle and packaging add to the appeal and sometimes give me that extra "I gotta have it 'cause it would look so good in my collection." But then again, if the juice inside the bottle is good enough it really won't matter how plain or fancy the bottle is in the end.

Marketing has proven tougher than I though so with that said I see I have to give some stuff a way to get the word out. My packaging is going to be real basic so I hope the fragrance inside is as good as I think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    Marketing has proven tougher than I though so with that said I see I have to give some stuff a way to get the word out. My packaging is going to be real basic so I hope the fragrance inside is as good as I think it is.
    That's what matters to me. If the juice is good, word will soon get out especially if the price is reasonable and not inflated by marketing gimmickry and egregious packaging. Good luck.

In any case I prefer packaging that is chosen and done thoughtfully.

Marketing/packaging, especially on the level of one-man-company products or services, does not need to be expensive. But you should put a lot of mental effort in it.

Ken_Russel has already mentioned some points that lead to the question of brand positioning. This is important because clarity in this concerns will not only make you more confident about your product ľ your product will also be more attractive to potential buyers.

Will your packaging reflect your attitude to perfume? Will it say anything about the content? What does it tell about you and your work? Are the decisions made by love and appreciation or by fear of monetary loss? Do you have a concept?

Dress your juice appropriate!

I have purchased bottles from small niche fragrancers that had VERY basic bottles and labeling and did not even come in boxes. The juice is some of my favorite and I absolutley love it.

Well for me...how important is the packaging will depend on the fragrance I'm buying...higher end ones...well i expect nothing but the best

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    ... Are the decisions made by love and appreciation or by fear of monetary loss? Do you have a concept?
    To prevent misunderstandings: there is nothing wrong with financial limitation. I personally do love restrictions, as they set my creativity on fire.
    I wanted to point out that it is possible to place a product/service in the high-price segment with nearly no budget (and surely the other way round). You just need to be conscious about your abilities, your product and your aims.

" Do you have a concept? "

I do but its so hard to put into words that others would understand right now. All of the input has been great.

- - - Updated - - -

I just discovered the best packaging i have ever seen, i like the whole presentation and marketing of by killian. I love the bottles, the refills, and how can you not love the box and key. but that price, if anyone wants to by me a gift this is what i want.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Kilia...e_refer=360i+M

Marketing does not have to be difficult. If selling locally, then you can simply offer a sample swiped on tissue or the hand. If selling online, then you can send free samples with orders. One thing to remember is, how you convey your passion about your product to the customer, will determine how your customer perceives it to be. If you believe in what you are selling, then your customer will respond to that. Your packaging helps the customer to have a visual assumption of your product. Packaging can be very basic, as long as it is neat.

When I started selling locally, I believed I had the best products available and I sold them at premium prices. My packaging was very basic (1 dram bottle, w/logo wrapped around the cap, and a small velvet pouch). They sold like crazy, because I believed in my product and I made sure customers understood the value. Before long, I had repeat customers. Packaging does matter, but at the end of the day it comes down to how much do you believe in your product?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I just discovered the best packaging i have ever seen, i like the whole presentation and marketing of by killian. I love the bottles, the refills, and how can you not love the box and key.
    An important consideration behind my last purchase of a By Kilian full bottle. But it was a conscious decision on By Kilian's part in tandem with their marketing concept and brand position. To avoid alienating the more price sensitive customers they have refills at more palatable prices.

If you can't ratchet up production to match sales, you could consider a play on exclusivity. High concept, outstanding quality, amazing packaging. See Immortal Mine $200 per 10 ml product. But high prices will inadvertently induce high expectations.