Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Time to test out some vanillas

    My sample pack of 20 , 2ml Niche vanilla fragrances has finally arrived from Surrender To Chance. They include:


    Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise - angelica and vanilla
    Atelier Vanille Insensee - vanilla infused with incense
    CB I Hate Perfume 7 Billion Hearts - wispy smoky vanilla
    Creed Sublime Vanille - lemon and vanilla
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille - smoke and vanilla
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale - rich lush vanilla
    Hermessence Vanille Galante - vanilla and lillies
    i Profumi di Firenze Vaniglia del Madagascar - silky vanilla
    Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise - vanilla light with a lovely licorice note
    L'Artisan Vanillia - abstract vanilla
    Le Labo Vanille 44 - ethereal, haunting vanilla
    M. Micallef Vanilla Cuir - rich sexy vanilla
    Mona Di Orio Les Nombres dOr Vanille - grown up vanilla
    Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka
    Santa Maria Novella Vaniglia - beautiful, light vanilla
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - woody vanilla
    Soivohle Vanillaville - leather and vanilla
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla - tobacco and vanilla
    Van Cleef & Arpels Orchidee Vanille - rich, luxe vanilla
    Xerjoff Mamluk - oud, vanilla and sex


    I will take a different approach this time than i normally do. I will challenge myself by blind spraying a sample on me, and try to guess which one it is by how it smells, the notes breakdown, etc. And after about an hour i'll see if im correct or not. The only one i have smelled before is Tobacco Vanille.

    Anyways, which of these do you like, or think i will like the best?
    Which of these is your least favorite that youve smelled?
    And is there any niche vanilla scent not on the list that needs to be?

  2. #2
    Dependent RedRaider430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,318
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    I have not smelled most of those. But if you're into vanilla, your list cannot be complete without adding L'Occitane Eau Des Baux. It's similar to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but about a 5th of the price. Very good quality for the money.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    I will take a different approach this time than i normally do. I will challenge myself by blind spraying a sample on me, and try to guess which one it is by how it smells, the notes breakdown, etc. And after about an hour i'll see if im correct or not. The only one i have smelled before is Tobacco Vanille.
    Nice list. Could I suggest a different approach? How about blind spraying and instead of trying to guess which is which, pay attention to how you react to them. It would be cool to decide which one/s you like best without any interference from the names, brands, etc. See what surprises you.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Nice list. Could I suggest a different approach? How about blind spraying and instead of trying to guess which is which, pay attention to how you react to them. It would be cool to decide which one/s you like best without any interference from the names, brands, etc. See what surprises you.
    Exactly! You're absolutely right. Thats another reason im doing it this way

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Nice list. Could I suggest a different approach? How about blind spraying and instead of trying to guess which is which, pay attention to how you react to them. It would be cool to decide which one/s you like best without any interference from the names, brands, etc. See what surprises you.
    Exactly! You're absolutely right. Thats another reason im doing it this way

  5. #5

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    The ones below:

    Atelier Vanille Insensee - vanilla infused with incense
    Creed Sublime Vanille - lemon and vanilla
    Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille - smoke and vanilla
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale - rich lush vanilla
    Hermessence Vanille Galante - vanilla and lillies
    L'Artisan Vanillia - abstract vanilla
    M. Micallef Vanilla Cuir - rich sexy vanilla
    Mona Di Orio Les Nombres d’Or Vanille - grown up vanilla
    Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille - woody vanilla

  6. #6

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Ive applied one just now, it kinda smells like amber absolute to me, with vanilla in the base.I wonder which one can this be...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I have not smelled most of those. But if you're into vanilla, your list cannot be complete without adding L'Occitane Eau Des Baux. It's similar to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but about a 5th of the price. Very good quality for the money.
    i agree as i have a sample of ea des baux, but is that considered niche? Its pretty cheap price to be niche, no? nonetheless, its a good frag

  7. #7

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Curious to hear your thoughts on Vanille Absolument, it's been on my radar for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really like Tobacco Vanille, Vanille 44, and the Mona di Orio.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    well, the sample im wearing now, i finally looked to see what it was. I honestly had no clue because i really just didnt see any description listed above matching the smell. Ive figured out why: It was Le Labo Vanille 44 - what the heck is "haunting" supposed to smell like? lol. Now that i realize it, it does kinda have that haunting,ethereal foggy feel to it

  9. #9
    Basenotes Junkie rbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    951
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Bulgari Black: Lapsang Souchong/rubber tyre, then vanilla,
    Creed Angelique Encens: incense, ambergris and vanilla,
    Creed Royal Delight: leather and vanilla.

  10. #10
    Trauerkraut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Harderwijk
    Posts
    2,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    ...my favorite vanilla...


  11. #11
    Basenotes Junkie rbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    951
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Bulgari Black: Lapsang Souchong/rubber tyre, then vanilla,
    Creed Angelique Encens: incense, ambergris and vanilla,
    Creed Royal Delight: leather and vanilla.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Funny that Vanille 44 was your first blind sample -that is the only one on your list that I own (a decant). I love that stuff. Just beautiful and not too in-your-face. A nice, subtle, luxurious vanilla-pod sort of vanilla.

    Have you tried Habit Rouge and/or Caron Pour un Homme which both have loads of vanilla, even though it's not in the name of the fragrance?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  13. #13

    Default Re: Time to test out some vanillas

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Funny that Vanille 44 was your first blind sample -that is the only one on your list that I own (a decant). I love that stuff. Just beautiful and not too in-your-face. A nice, subtle, luxurious vanilla-pod sort of vanilla.

    Have you tried Habit Rouge and/or Caron Pour un Homme which both have loads of vanilla, even though it's not in the name of the fragrance?
    I have a sample of Habit Rouge but i only wore it once. I need to revisit!

Similar Threads

  1. BOSS no.1. Has it passed the test of time?
    By Oslo-Fjord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12th April 2011, 03:47 PM
  2. Compare Two PdN Vanillas please
    By Jardanel in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd October 2009, 06:22 PM
  3. Time to test the chatroom...
    By MFfan310 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th April 2007, 11:20 PM
  4. Chat time!!! Help me test this new room...
    By CologneJunkie in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 26th January 2007, 04:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •