Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Life expectancy, collector instincts and a rant or two.

Considering that I am thinking of selling most of my stuff, I doubt I'll have the fragrances outlast me

I like having too much of something, so not too worried. Also I plan on living for a while still. Agree though that it would be nice to have some stuff in smaller sizes (e.g. the Mugler flankers. I like them but not enough to have 100ml of each. 30ml would be much better). I do like smaller bottles of scents that I enjoy sometimes but who are not my top favourites.

I buy the largest (up to 200ml).

This way I'll have the perfume forever. I won't have to worry about replenishing it when it's close to finishing and more importantly I won't have to worry about it having been reformulated.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 29th January 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    for swap/sale:

Before I became fragrance aware, I wore just one scent I sprayed about once a day from a 100ml bottle. It took about a year to empty. Today I have near 500 bottles of fragrance either dumped on me by others, purchased, or traded. I know I will never empty them all. This is the time you wish to share what you have with others and they share from their finds as well. It is no longer about finishing everything as much as it is about finding others to share your hobby.

I like to have piece of mind that I have enough. Big bottles if possible from now on for me. I don't want to have to feel like I have to limit myself...even if it never gets to that point.

Also, I'm beginning to like dowsing myself 10+ sprays per application.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    My collection will definitely outlive me. I hope it brings the new owner(s) much joy.
    This is a true statement for me also!!! And I don't like decants, so will not buy them except as samples. Once I'm in for a fragrance, I am all in. And I realize that I will be old, senile and drooling all over the pretty bottles with the pretty liquid at some point, but at least I will still be entertained by them, even if I don't remember how to use the sprayer.

I'm 47 and have been confronted by my own mortality for a few months. My collection was up to about 50 bottles. I realized I will never use them all, and what's more, many I just didn't enjoy as much. I'm already downsizing. Once I get down to about ten bottles that will be my goal going forward: to have about six in constant rotation and four revolving, one-bottle-purchase scents.

But damn is it hard to resist it when I get a sample I enjoy.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I like to have piece of mind that I have enough. Big bottles if possible from now on for me. I don't want to have to feel like I have to limit myself...even if it never gets to that point.

Also, I'm beginning to like dowsing myself 10+ sprays per application.
    Nice opinion!

I would buy so many 5 ml and 10 ml bottles. That's the perfect size as far as I'm concerned when I think of the number of scents I own or would like to own. I wouldn't mind a small markup over larger bottles, but the price difference seems ridiculous to me.

On some days I'm able to wear perfumes thrice a day like today. Once for the morning errand, then a change of clothes for afternoon lunch and another perfume and then finally a third for the evening outing.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    The price difference isn't that small if you start to add up bottle after bottle. For me it's about total money spent, not price per ml (I don't decant and I have never finished a bottle). I have more than I'll ever use and I've probably saved around £2000 so far by buying the smaller 30ml or 50ml sizes.
    I agree 100% with you.