Code of Conduct

Default Anyone familar with this Mysore Sandalwood Government Oil?

Anyone familar with this Mysore Sandalwood Government Oil? Is this stuff pure sandalwood oil? If you have any information on this oil, let me know? Thanks

Mysore.jpg
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Anyone familar with this Mysore Sandalwood Government Oil?

Where is it for sale?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

First time ever seeing it.

Its government certified, you can obtain a list from the forestry department in mysore but i am not sure the arm is still active - how ever to my knowledge the government does not produce these by themselves ; there are many licensed vendors, but top grade almost always exported and the first batch of all harvest are sent to temples, some caste members who are perfumers by default through many generations also receive real aged oil, which they add to their highly priced perfumes, otherwise - mysore oil is easily obtainable from mysore, but it will be relatively new vs aged wood, which is much more expensive and rare.

There is a very good soap by Government Soap Factory Bangalore along these lines.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a very good soap by Government Soap Factory Bangalore along these lines.

I purchased a 2.5 ml sample for $20... looking forward to sniffing it...

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Its government certified, you can obtain a list from the forestry department in mysore but i am not sure the arm is still active - how ever to my knowledge the government does not produce these by themselves ; there are many licensed vendors, but top grade almost always exported and the first batch of all harvest are sent to temples, some caste members who are perfumers by default through many generations also receive real aged oil, which they add to their highly priced perfumes, otherwise - mysore oil is easily obtainable from mysore, but it will be relatively new vs aged wood, which is much more expensive and rare.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Thats NOT the sandalwood oil from the government, mine was from the Government of Karnataka, it come in a pouch.
    looks like this: http://martjack-resources.s3.amazona...01120(600).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Thats NOT the sandalwood oil from the government, mine was from the Government of Karnataka, it come in a pouch.
    How much was in that bottle?

I am sorry, but unfortunately its only one of the licensed where a small amount of oil is super diluted with inferior oils although still is from the santalum album species but of much more inferior quality, your oil is made by the same company which makes and retails the Mysore Sandal Soap which is privately owned firm where government owns some equity, the soap retails for 1.50 USD, but nevertherless is still good quality compared to many other types of oil out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
    Yeah, I've been using this soap for a least a couple of years now. Great stuff!

edit
    Last edited by vinramani09; 30th January 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    I am sorry, but unfortunately its only one of the licensed where a small amount of oil is super diluted with inferior oils although still is from the santalum album species but of much more inferior quality, your oil is made by the same company which makes and retails the Mysore Sandal Soap which is privately owned firm where government owns some equity, the soap retails for 1.50 USD, but nevertherless is still good quality compared to many other types of oil out there.
    Yeah its part of the government under taking but it is 100% pure mysore sandalwood, it goes for $70-80 dollars for 10 ml, there is one which comes from the Nilgiri hills which goes for about $100 for a 10 ml. You are misinformed, good quality mysore sandalwood is available, if you have have the cash to pay for it. I had a very small sample of of my sandalwood oil tested by a friend who works in the pharmaceutical industry and it came back containing 91.4% natural santalol which is what gives sandalwood its smell. Karnataka Cottage industries runs the whole gamut, from cheap soaps to $ 100, 000 dollar sandalwood armoirs. I personally use their civet herbal incense 'Aparajita" which is also phenomenal .
    Last edited by vinramani09; 30th January 2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: edit

So this stuff is real sandalwood oil?

Yeah its part of the government under taking but it is 100% pure mysore sandalwood, it goes for $70-80 dollars for 10 ml, there is one which comes from the Nilgiri hills which goes for about $100 for a 10 ml. You are misinformed, good quality mysore sandalwood is available, if you have have the cash to pay for it. I had a very small sample of of my sandalwood oil tested by a friend who works in the pharmaceutical industry and it came back containing 91.4% natural santalol which is what gives sandalwood its smell. Karnataka Cottage industries runs the whole gamut, from cheap soaps to $ 100, 000 dollar sandalwood armoirs. I personally use their civet herbal incense 'Aparajita" which is also phenomenal .
    - - - Updated - - -

Ok, so today I received my 2.5 ml sample in the mail. Smells very mysore, but I guess with sandalwood oil.. it smells better from a distance, and when you get the unexpected wiff... up close, it smells very woody and buttery.. its not super strong like the chemical synthetic sandalwood oil out there...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

i still very much doubt the authenticity of your claim, although i am not saying that you are wrong, from what i know, aged sandalwood (50 years or more, are all exported), yes a 3 ml oil goes for 250.00 british pounds, and you can find it in some quarters, the nilgiri oil that you mention is not of the mysore variant, there are too many shops in karnataka that claim they have the government crest, i've had luck with the authentic karnataka shop in chennai, and paid a fair price for what appears to be oil from 30 year old in the past, santalum album of the mysore variant you may find plenty, but the real majestic smell always arises from aged wood.

cheers.