Code of Conduct

Default Zagorsk, Hinoki or Jaisalmer...

Well, first off, I know there are numerous threads out there already talking about the legendary and quite brilliant Incense Series by Comme Des Garcons and I know there are many strong feelings on these here pages that Monocle Scent One Hinoki should share a place on such a lofty podium.

I have Avignon, Kyoto and Ourzazate and love them all and, I suppose in time, as all nerdy collector's do, I shall acquire all of them but right now I have been on a bit of a splurge and can scarcely justify another "Chrimbo present for myself"!

Been playing with my sample of Jaisalmer and putting it alongside Dunhill Edition and my sample of Villoresi Incensi (for that whole Cinnamon/Clove thing I think they share) and I love it much more than Incensi, (which was a consideration at one point) but think it more than stands it's ground with the brilliant Edition.

Of course, it is a whole different beast to the other 2 CDG concoctions which I have also been pitting against one another wrist to wrist... but dammnit, I just cannot choose between them either. I like the more incense-y quality of Zagorsk but the drydown of Hinoki is quality and positively addictive. Out of the 3 I know here in the UK the Monocle Scent is about £20.00 more than the other 2 which I do take into consideration but it does NOT make my choice any easier!

I am yammering on here, so I'll just ask this; which one would you buy given the choice?

Default Re: Zagorsk, Hinoki or Jaisalmer...

Zagorsk

Basenotes Institution

I've owned all three, and highly recommend each one of them. I would go for Jaisalmer.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I agree with Mike. I'd go for Jaisalmer. I don't wear it all that often, but I really like it. That and Avignon are my favorites in the CdG Incense Series.

See, I had not totally written off Hinoki as I love it, but the extra 20 pounds is more difficult to justify when Zagorsk and Jaisalmer are so well made... hmmm, thanks for your opinions on this!

Jaisalmer

I like Zagorsk resiny-piney bent. But all are excellent.

cacio

I would choose Ouarzazat :P but from these three Zagorsk. It smells great! Very calm...
    Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd December 2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: blog spam
    http://bleauog.blogspot.com/ - my blog

Basenotes Institution

Have you smelled Zagorsk or would this be a blind buy?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I own Avignon but if I were to buy a second one, it would be Jaisalmer.

I didn't like the soapiness of Zagorsk.

I would agree that Jaisalmer is the next most interesting of the CDG Incense Series. It might even be more interesting than the others. However, I like Hinoki just as much as any CDG incense fragrance. If you wanted less incense, no patchouli but a pure green wood scent I'd grab a bottle of Hinoki. Test it first, though as it is a bold fragrance as is Zagorsk. I have never regretted my purchase of Scent One Hinoki.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Have you smelled Zagorsk or would this be a blind buy?
    Yeah, I have tested all three, I have made many a blind buy in my time but this time I am trying to be sensible and finding it much more difficult! I do love incense and that is pushing me more to Zagorsk and Jaisalmer more than anything right now

They're all great. I still don't have Hinoki, but I've tested it and I like it just as much as anything from the series. Zagorsk is extremely beautiful in its concept and execution, but it's sometimes a little on the hard-to-wear side-- although I never had trouble meeting women when I wore it, so it's not exactly kryptonite. Same goes for Jaisalmer-- I love it all the way, but sometimes I've actually had people make comments along the lines of suggesting that I smelled like I'd eaten Indian food when I wore it-- though again, I've had some nice romantic encounters while wearing Jaisalmer also.

Tough call, but any of the three is a fantastic choice so you can't lose!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by The Aromaholic View Post
    Yeah, I have tested all three, I have made many a blind buy in my time but this time I am trying to be sensible and finding it much more difficult! I do love incense and that is pushing me more to Zagorsk and Jaisalmer more than anything right now
    I was asking because some people perceive Zagorsk as smelling like green bell peppers and it took me a while to shake that association from it.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I own Hinoki and find it more difficult to wear than say Jaisalmer or Ouarzazate which would be my choices.

Mike, never really got the Bell Pepper thang from Zagorsk nor the curry thing from Jaisalmer; but maybe others will! A girl at work with an obviously wonky sense of smell kept saying she could smell bacon when I was wearing Timbuktu in the Summer... what the hell!? But it did make me a little selfconscious and it took me a while before I wore that masterpiece again. I remember a thread on here where some poor guy got accused of smelling like a ladies 'under parts' at work whilst wearing Jaisalmer... can't remember who it was but I've never made that association either, thankfully!

Good to know that neither Incense CDG scent hinders your luck with the laydeez Indie_Guy! Always enjoy your posts...

I absolutely love Ouarzazate, trax... dare I say perhaps even more than Basenote darlings Kyoto and Avignon? My mind changes every day. I am slowly migrating toward Jaisalmer helped in no small way by rogalal's utterly brilliant blog "100 Fragrances Every Frag-Head Guy Should Try" He describes it beautifully.

I absolutely love Ouarzazate, trax... dare I say perhaps even more than Basenote darlings Kyoto and Avignon? My mind changes every day.
    I agree with you even though I must say I feel Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline beats all of them for me.. But that's a matter of skin chemistry I know. A friend of mine gets only a chlorinated salty pool smell out BT. Of the CDG's I feel Hinoki has the most personality/originality but the least wearability. Ouarzazate for me is the softest, the one with the roundest edges, and most wearability

I quite like all of them but personally I'd go for Zagorsk, then Inoki, then Jaisalmer which is the least interesting of the whole serie IMO. It has a sort of Tiger Balm vibe that's not always pleasant.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Finally bought Jaisalmer after all this time, whilst away working in York... 2 months or so later and there I was, still, in the shop with Zagorsk on one wrist and Jaisalmer on the other. Jaisalmer's versatility finally won the day though; can't think of a day I wouldn't want to be smelling this great fragrance! Zagorsk may well be next and I do not think my incense binge that I am enjoying could ever be considered complete without trying out Olivier Durbano's scents.

Thanks for your advice Basenoters!

Finally bought Jaisalmer after all this time, whilst away working in York... 2 months or so later and there I was, still, in the shop with Zagorsk on one wrist and Jaisalmer on the other. Jaisalmer's versatility finally won the day though; can't think of a day I wouldn't want to be smelling this great fragrance! Zagorsk may well be next and I do not think my incense binge that I am enjoying could ever be considered complete without trying out Olivier Durbano's scents.

Thanks for your advice Basenoters!
    Awesome, imo you cant go wrong with either or Zagorsk, Jaisalmer are great.

Zagorsk IMO.