Code of Conduct

Default Men's style ideas from London Collections

Been scouting around for style ideas for this spring/summer, and found some good men's fashion blogs discussing London Collections

apetogentleman
    gentlemansgazette
    a-gentlemans-row
    thesartorialist
    putthison

But what else is out there?

Struggling for inspiration this spring/summer so could do with some ideas! I check the London Collections Street Style

This dapper gentleman was spotted at London Collections and was shot for WGSN. The collar bar adds a real touch of class to this outfit, where most would have just opted for a standard white shirt. All the colours work well together and the patterened tie adds a focal point.

source: a-gentlemans-row

- - - Updated - - -

There is a nice silhouette to the coat with a stylish, modern lapels that donít over complicate the outfit. source: a-gentlemans-row

Hentsch Man, AW13 Presentation at London Collections: MenÖ We talked about the double-breasted blazers, use of textures and the wonderful use of geometric prints. The collection continues Hentsch Manís hassle-free approach to dressing, harking on older style durable fabrics, but using them in a modern way. source: thebespokegent
    Last edited by vicgreen; 30th January 2013 at 07:25 AM.

Default Re: Men's style ideas from London Collections

5 INTERESTING SUIT FACTS

Suit tailoring is a time-honoured practice so inevitably, the modern suit is the sum of traditional quirks and conventions that have been added over the years but don’t necessarily make sense anymore. If a suit’s construction were a celebrity, it’d be Bob Dylan - a bit eccentric after almost a lifetime at the top of his musical game but undoubtedly still cool. Donning a suit is the ultimate statement in masculine style and it has the unique credential of making every man look good. That’s something you do know about the tailored attire but I want to try and tell you 5 things you don’t know. 1. Working cuffs Suits have buttons running along the cuffs, originally to accommodate the work of surgeons. During surgery, cuffs needed to be rolled up and out of the way. A gentleman can never be seen without his suit jacket so removing the garment wasn’t an option. 2. Super numbers While you’re shopping for a suit, you may notice that some are referred to using a Super number, such as Super 120s or Super 100s. This denotes the fineness of the individual fibres that make up the suit fabric; similar to the thread count you see on bed linen. Higher numbers designate a thinner, silkier fabric, which is also rarer with a higher price tag. The trade off for the luxurious feel is that these finer fibres also wear through quicker, so they’re not good as an everyday workhorse. 3. Button fastenings Tradition dictates that you should always leave the bottom button on your suit jacket undone. So, if you have a 3 button, only fasten 2 and with a 2 button you should only fasten 1. 4. Shoes With a black suit, black shoes must be worn - no other colour is acceptable. 5. Melton under collars The dense, woollen cloth on the underside of suit collars is known as Melton. The fabric comes from the Leicestershire town of Melton Mowbray, an inventive place that’s also the home of the pork pie. Its purpose is to offer strength, durability and to help maintain the collar’s shape over time.

http://www.menswearstyle.co.uk/2013/...suit-facts/350

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks for sharing. I agree about the suit making a man look good. Too bad it's not very practical in the hot & humid tropics. I don't think a substitute for warmer climates has been invented yet.

I used to only button the top two of a three buttoned jacket. But then I noticed that Cary Grant buttoned only the middle of a three button jacket. So I gave it a go and found it looked smarter. 😉

gentlemansgazette

I love this style

Quote Originally Posted by Niffniffs View Post
    I used to only button the top two of a three buttoned jacket. But then I noticed that Cary Grant buttoned only the middle of a three button jacket. So I gave it a go and found it looked smarter. 
    Randolph Scott used to do the same.
    (2592)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Niffniffs View Post
    I used to only button the top two of a three buttoned jacket. But then I noticed that Cary Grant buttoned only the middle of a three button jacket. So I gave it a go and found it looked smarter. ��
    The "look of intentional 'unstudied' elegance" goes all the way back to Beau Brummell.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

As an Italian, I must say I find these English button rules a little annoying, and the related unintentional unstudied elegance even more so, especially when affected by somebody who doesn't look like Cary Grant.

Not that the button rules shouldn't be followed. The point is, the suits are constructed to look good with a certain number of buttons tied. I've never done bespoke, but in many store bought suits nowadays the top button is intentionally too high, almost above the end of the collar, meaning that it is not expected to be fastened.

cacio