Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default how important is bottle design for you

To me, bottles are very important. I personally like to collect the bottles and I would prefer not to have generic decant bottles for anything over an oz. I do have a lean full-bottle collection, so it would stick out like a sore thumb if I had a generic clear bottle. Besides, I think most bottles look beautiful. They are art to me.

I don't NEED bottle design, but it's something I would prefer and pay a little bit more for.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: how important is bottle design for you

Relatively unimportant for me - the contents are of far greater interest.

Not important at all.

I like a nice bottle, but ultimately every fragrance gets decanted into a 5 mL atomiser; I only see the actual bottle when I need to refill the atomiser. So, I'm with Jon.

The frag is paramount. The bottle is a bonus.

Not even a little tiny bit. All I care about is the scent.

As a consumer of design, I prefer sleek, clean, functional and unornamented, too. A fancy, fiddly bottle is not only a detriment to use, I find it personally unappealing.

Not that important, though a nice bottle is a plus of course. There are some bottles that I dislike to such an extend that they reduce the urge to try a fragrance.

My interest is minimal, with very few exceptions the bottle is an irrelevance.

Good design in anything is a bonus but bottle design would never influence my decision about a fragrance. But think about it, no matter how appealing the bottle design is, chances are that most of us keep them in their boxes anyway to protect the fragrance!!

If you like to look at and handle a great bottle, check out Ramon Monegal.

Not important at all. Otherwise, I wouldn't own any PdNs.

To me, the beauty of a bottle is separate from what's inside, although I certainly do appreciate it when a bottle is well-designed, whether for utilitarian or aesthetic (or both) reasons.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    There are some bottles that I dislike to such an extend that they reduce the urge to try a fragrance.
    I can see some people being turned off by the Bond No 9 bottles, despite a few decent scents (Bleecker Street and Washington Square spring to mind). Collector's items or abominations ? - the latter for me I'm afraid..
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 29th January 2013 at 07:28 PM.

Overcome By Fumes

I don't care at all how a bottle looks, unless it's actually disgusting like "Le Male" or some of the cruder bottles pictured here from time to time, which, needless to say, is a detractor to a fragrance getting into my collection. Some bottles are so awkwardly designed that although interesting or aesthetic, they do not allow for simple application of the fragrance, and that just irks me. So, in other words, a bottle can be a negative, but I never buy anything for the pretty container.

It's relatively important to me. I like a good bottle design, but it won't keep me away from something if I think it looks terrible...that being said I don't think I have anything in my collection that I'd consider "ugly" Maybe Bond No. 9 or Montale's cheap feeling bottle, but I like the diversity.

I will go out of my way to get a bottle as opposed to a decant of something, even if the price difference is huge. Looking at you Le Labo city exclusives.

double
    Last edited by starshipvelcro; 29th January 2013 at 07:57 PM.

I've never had hope or expectations of a perfume bottle looking nice.
    Perfumers are in the business of perfumery not glass art , therefore it's unfair to expect effort put into bottle design.
    If it's there, then it's a pleasant plus

for swap/sale:

I've never had hope or expectations of a perfume bottle looking nice.
    Perfumers are in the business of perfumery not glass art , therefore it's unfair to expect effort put into bottle design.
    If it's there, then it's a pleasant plus

for swap/sale:

The frag is the main thing of course, but speaking as someone who put up with those original Bulgari Black bottles for years, good design matters.

I love a fabulous bottle, and even have a few perfumes I don't wear simply because of the bottle ...they look beautiful on my vanity and I don't have to worry too much about the perfume inside being exposed to heat or light. That said, an ugly bottle won't stop me from buying a perfume I love, but of course the ideal is a stunning perfume in an equally stunning bottle. I always love beautiful perfumes no matter what the bottle looks like, and I sometimes love beautiful bottles no matter what the perfume smells like, lol!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I like to buy large, beautiful, empty flacons simply because they look great on my dressing table. All the juice is stored elsewhere.

Basenotes Member

I love a beautiful bottle. It enhances the the enjoyment of applying the perfume. Perfume isn't just an olfactory experience, it's a visual and tactile experience too. I remember the first time I used Prada Prada and it came in a heavy rectangular bottle of good quality glass. The notes were written on a chrome plate on top and I just loved it. I couldn't stop touching it - I wanted to lick it I liked it so much and I hadn't even tried the perfume. Cheap glass or an ugly bottle does reduce the experience.

That said I won't buy a perfume I don't like for the bottle, or ignore a perfume I do like because of an ugly bottle. And of course I don't leave any of my perfumes out of their boxes.

I have a small collection of vintage crystal perfume decanters for my dressing table. And I love flower arranging so I often use old bottle as vases.

Basenotes Plus

Well said, grasslands (welcome to Basenotes btw).

A beautiful and well thought out bottle design adds to the overall fragrance wearing experience. Imagine applying your holy grail from a bottle that is not only difficult to handle with but has a faulty spray mechanism to boot. It simply sucks! Yes, you can always decant them out but why should you in the first place?

My fragrances do double duty as aesthetic pieces for display as long as they qualify as one. Those that come in clear glass don't make the grade for obvious reasons.

If I am already familiar with the scent, only the contents will matter, as long as the bottle is minimally sufficient to store, shelter and to dose these very contents.

If I happen not to know the scent, a bottle might attract my eagerness to test and become familiar with it, but still, no
    "make or break", "all or nothing", "deal or no deal" etc. argument, because if the contents are bad, not the best bottle can save them, or, conversely, if the contents are stunning, no bad looking bottle (unless the bottle is technically unsuitable, unusably improper) can scare me off or make me think twice.

There are enough fragrances around that I never feel the need to buy an ugly bottle containing good juice as there are so many beautiful bottles containing good juice.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i tend to like how all my bottles look. even the most flamboyant ones like le male and 1 million i like.

15% of my choice, ugly bottles put me off

Not important at all. I wish all perfumers used the same kind of bottles (my favourite format is rectangular, tall and narrow - pretty much like Lutens bottles).

I have to admit I used to be a sucker for a nice bottle, but it's become of less importance to me the more I've come to appreciate the juice inside. Having said that, my favourite bottle designs are usually by Penhaligon's, or Annick Goutal (I think the Nuit Etoilee bottle design is beautiful). I also like the simplicity of the Frederic Malle bottles. They seem very solid and like they're made to protect something inside which is very expensive. I'm probably more likely to buy the fragrance if I like the bottle, but I won't buy one solely because the bottle's nice. Scent and longevity are by far the most important things to me when deciding whether to buy.

Doesn't matter - But I prefer them to be solid and spray well. Otherwise, I don't care - I never really see my bottles except on rare instances. I decant 5ml into an atomizer that I use and store in my bathroom closet, and store the rest of the bottle in my basement - so i only see them when I go downstairs and pull the bottle out to refill my atomizer, or put another new bottle down in the boxes with the rest.

I like a pretty bottle, but it has zero bearing on my decision to purchase. All my bottles are hidden in a dark drawer anywhere, so what difference does it make. Personally, I'd love it in a way if they were more uniform, much easier to store! Though hard to tell apart.

Now, if a bottle is hideous, I will sometimes not want it, but I usually get over that.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

As diamondflame remarked above it "adds to the overall fragrance wearing experience." That being said, I would not refuse to purchase an amazing fragrance because the bottle design is lacking. As previously mentioned, I would decant the fragrance, chuck the bottle and be on my way. However, there is something to be said about the feeling of reaching into your collection and grabbing your own personally chosen divine elixir that happens to be held in a practical yet exquisite bottle.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

A good bottle design can enhance the pleasure of applying it & look good if it's on display. Guerlain & Chanel tend to have good designs.

A bad bottle design can make me avoid trying a fragrance - J'accuse 1 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not important at all.
    Boom.

Nice bottles look just that: nice. But that's a mere accessory. The juice is the most important component. The opinion(s) of others could greatly be affected by whether they have their fragrances out for display or not, too. I keep mine stored in a couple of dark dresser drawers.

Opening up the perfume cabinet and taking in the overall scent and look of the cupboard is part of the anticipation of wearing perfume, so it would be disingenuous to say that it doesn't matter at all, but individual bottle look is definitely a minority issue as long as the bottle works well.

It seems almost a shame to keep some of them in their boxes though. B by Boucheron is a really pretty and interesting bottle but it spends all bar a few minutes on the days that it's going to be worn (that's probably 15 minutes a year then) out on view.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Blog Entries

I like a well designed bottle that will stand up and with a working sprayer. I dislike bottles that don't fit in the hand or are excessively expensive. These are going in a cupboard. I'm not concerned with a fancy look, no one will really see it anyway.
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd January 2014 at 01:54 AM.

Not much but anything too over the top puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Not important at all. I wish all perfumers used the same kind of bottles (my favourite format is rectangular, tall and narrow - pretty much like Lutens bottles).
    I too wish perfumers just used the same bottles. The frivolity and decadence of some of these bottles is so risible and more importantly wasteful in my opinion. I would also prefer a very simple, small universal label system, something like Byredo does (but not their bottle)

A nice bottle is a plus, but it doesn't really matter when it comes down to it. A fugly bottle won't make me like the fragrance any less, but a nice bottle might just make me like one a little more.

I like a simple elegant bottle. It makes me think that the company may be putting the value on the contents instead of bottle cost.

I almost think that at a certain price point bottle design is strictly for sales.

I think some bottles look silly, Gaultier, some Jacobs bottles for ladies, Bond, and 1 million is a big seller but kinda silly.

I'd rather have quality juice in a simpler bottle, than poor quality in a bottle that looks like Carmen Miranda's hat

I'm more likely to try a fragrance that has a bottle I like. And if I'm doubting whether or not to buy a fragrance that I've tested, a nice or ugly bottle might sway me this or that way.

Recently, I was looking for a fresh, pleasant, unchallenging aquatic. L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme fit the bill nicely, and also happens to have a really nice bottle, so I bought it. If it was still sold in its original, butt-ugly bottle, I might have ended up buying something else.

I would never buy a fragrance for the bottle alone, though. I love the bottles of Burberry Brit and Kenzo Flower, but I can't stand the fragrances. I also love the bottle of Spicebomb, but still very much doubting about the fragrance itself; I have to try it again, but I think it's too sweet for me.

When I ultimately buy a bottle from MDCI, I will go for the bust cap, spending the extra money for it because it all makes for a very beautiful bottle.

image.jpg

Does this answer your question?
    Last edited by kswer; 30th August 2014 at 06:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    When I ultimately buy a bottle from MDCI, I will go for the bust cap, spending the extra money for it because it all makes for a very beautiful bottle.
    It does make a beautiful bottle but it has to be stored in the dark, so there's that...

For me, I go for the frag first, but that said, I do like the look of some bottles.
    The only thing that would put me off any frag is if the bottle is ridiculous.

By that I mean, the stupidly tall thin things, that can easily fall over, or the stupidly shaped ones, which aren't pleasant to hold, or have a ridiculous lid that needs a physics degree to hold and remove.

I guess that's why I like Creeds bottles they're sensible, and unassuming.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    It does make a beautiful bottle but it has to be stored in the dark, so there's that...
    Oh no, I have my bottles out to be seen. Not in direct sunlight, but there to be appreciated. I'm sure you said that "tongue in cheek".

Bottle design is pretty irrelevant to me. I have half a dozen in plain atomizers from decants, transfers from splashes, and busted atomizers on the originals. Easy identification is the only thing I care about in the actual look of a bottle. A proper seal and good atomizer are basic requirements that have nothing to do with the shape, color, or weight of the bottle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    Oh no, I have my bottles out to be seen. Not in direct sunlight, but there to be appreciated. I'm sure you said that "tongue in cheek".
    Actually, I have a cupboard for mine and those that don't fit are kept in drawers. I'm pretty concerned about the effect of light on fumes. I have a few on the bathroom counter that are opaque glass or in cans so light can't affect them.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Actually, I have a cupboard for mine and those that don't fit are kept in drawers. I'm pretty concerned about the effect of light on fumes. I have a few on the bathroom counter that are opaque glass or in cans so light can't affect them.
    Geek.

It's funny because I am like this with my wines - storing them in cellar-like conditions in a garage that is set halfway into the earth - but it's all about the balancing of priorities to me to where I am not careless with my fragrances but like to be able to look up and easily see them.

Blog Entries

Without a doubt, I'm a terrible geek about keeping my vintage scents safe, especially.

Mine are all in a dark cupboard and not on display. I like the bottle and packaging design as a completely separate issue. Neither aspects affect my purchase unless the bottle is truly foul. The most recent put off from an FB was Tralala. I may find a decant one day. I was hot to trot on that one but the bottle genuinely put me right off. There are too many other nice ones.

Saying that, I do prefer the practical and smart types that don't dribble.

Doesn't matter to me what the bottle looks like. It's all about the juice. I do understand some people's attraction to bottle design though. To each his own, I guess.

in my opinion about that, it's very important. Because the bottle design is the main factor for attracts children and others. I also like colourful bottles.

If One Direction perfume can totally outsell Chanel 5, then it says something about the design & packaging....