Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Which is your favourite Frederic Malle & why?

So, im off to Libertys on Friday, to check out the FM's for the first time.

I filled out the consultation form last week and got my reply yesterday.

The sales associate suggests that the main reccomendation for me based on my answers would be Bigarade Concentree, with Geranium Pour Monsieur and Vetvier Extroidanee as 2nd alternatives.

Im not sure quite what to expect, im kind of thinking that this house seems pretty off key to the norm, avant guarde and a bit risky.

Do they make beautiful scents or am I going to be shocked by there offerings?

At the end of the day, i dont mind trying to find 1 or 2 good quality high end scents for me for the year, but they have to smell great! (thats subjective of course).

I refuse to pay big dollar to walk around as an experiment for an artists work if its in anyway vulgar or distastefull, but if it smells amazing and suits me then even better.

So, whats your favourite FM and why? And as i described myself as a very casual laidback kind of active guy that doesnt dress up, well groomed, enjoys gym on my consultation email, would you agree the SA has chosen the right ones for me to investigate further?

Sound Scents

Default Re: Which is your favourite Frederic Malle & why?

My favorite from the house is Portrait of a Lady because it smells absolutely incredible and is my favorite scent overall, but EdP Frederic Malle has many, many great ones for sure.

Bigarade Concentree is one of the few I disliked due to its heavy dose of cumin that comes off as BO on my skin, and Geranium pour Monsieur has a bit of a strange minty vibe going on, but not unpleasant. Your third option, Vetiver Extraordinaire is superb, and one of their best offerings (if you like vetiver, of course).
    Last edited by drseid; 30th January 2013 at 12:40 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

My favorite is Musc Ravageur. I love this fragrance because unlike most I actually enjoy the clove and cinnamon opening and I think this has one of the most seductive drydowns out there. I enjoy this one any time of year not only just in colder weather.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I'm a fan of Musc Ravageur aslo. The opening is not all that hot to me (some love the opening), but that drydown is one of the best i've smelled in a while.

Musc Ravageur

I've only tried Musc Ravageur on paper, but it was amazing. Almost bought it after that but decided I need to sample on skin, so I'm awaiting a sample now.

Portrait of a Lady is quite simply beautiful and a must try. It is unlike any other fragrance I've smelled before, and lingered in my thoughts for quite some time after it faded (although it lasted a week on my sweater). Very rich, enveloping smell. The quality of composition and ingredients is quite evident.

Vetiver Extraordinaire is one of the best vetivers I've smelled. Very pure and crystal clear.

I'm not a fan of bigarade concentree.. It's slightly bitter to my nose and smells like the white flesh of a grapefruit to me. I love citrus but this just wasn't for me.

Noir Epices is good. It's brighter and sharper than I had imagined it would be, but that sort of makes it unique. Good, and worth a smell, but not a masterpiece.

L'Eau d'Hiver is interesting. Quite powdery and light. I get the association with winter and frozen cold bone-dry air, but it just smells too baby powdery for me to appreciate.

I'm sure you'll find something to your tastes in this line, good luck!

Went to the city a few weeks ago to sample some fragrances (including a few Frederic Malle), the next day I went to Barney's and walked out with Musc Ravageur.

There are many good (if not great) ones but Musc Ravageur is my favorite.

Dans tes Bras. It is like a surrealistic painting, a symphony of notes and a revolt against the ordinary. If you are looking for art when it comes to perfumes, then you need to try it. Smells like this separate the niche from the designer. Definitely very unique. You will not smell it on anybody else and I am sure you did not give a sniff to something like this one before.

Based upon your self description, the selections of the sales associate seem to be on the mark. I doubt many would consider any of them shocking. Of the three I find Vetiver Extraordinaire the most versatile. I wear Vetiver Extraordinaire in all seasons and settings.

Portrait of a lady is by far my favorite, it's potent, and I just love the combination of rose raspberry and incense.

Other favorites are L'eau D'Hiver, Geranium Pour Monsieur, and Carnal Flower. A VERY high quality line.

Musc Ravageur for me, I also enjoy the intense clove opening. My wife likes Carnal Flower, but go easy on this one.

Basenotes Plus

Glad someone finally mentioned Carnal Fower Also Noir Epices and Lys Mediterranee.

Portrait of a Lady
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

The perfect combo: Portrait of a Lady to wear during the day and then a couple of sprays of Geranium pour Monsiuer for the evening. I love the musky patchouli drydown shared by both.

I like the one's the SA picked for ya', but if it's me spendin' the coin, make mine Musc Ravageur.

My favorite is Musc Ravageur, which is actually one of my favorite scents, overall. I like all stages, a fantastic opening and a gorgeous, rich drydown. It's musky and somewhat "dirty", so you've got to like that style, but if you do, it's fantastic stuff.

I also have Vétiver Extraordinaire, but for some reason I've never really caught on to it. Lots of people like it, though, so it's probably just me. I find it too airy and insubstantial, somehow...I like earthy, dark vetivers much better.

I don't particularly care for Bigarade Concentrée, although I am a fan of many other Ellena creations. BC comes off as extremely synthetic to my nose and somehow weird with that orange note just persisting for hours and hours. To me, citrus is something that's supposed to evaporate, not stick around for ever. It's not a bad scent by any means, it's just not my thing.

Noir Épices I simply couldn't stomach (and it's extremely rare that I react so strongly to scents - after all, I love things like Muscs Koublaï Khän, M/Mink and Eau d'Hermès - but NE just rubs me the WRONG way!)... it smells like a weird mix of grated ginger and lipstick to me...

The rest of the Malle frags I have only sniffed briefly. Of those, Carnal Flower and Geranium pour Monsieur seemed the most interesting to me. I'll revisit those soon.
    Last edited by Dane77; 30th January 2013 at 03:46 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Of the 3 recommended to you, my pick would be Vetiver Extraordinaire. It's a vibrant interpretation of vetiver that casual wearers will find easygoingly wearable yet uniquely attractive. Geranium pour Monsieur has a herbal minty vibe that unaccustomed noses might consider 'weird'.

My personal favorites? Probably Carnal Flower for its raw intensity and Bois d'Orage (aka French Lover) for its well-callibrated rather sophisticated take on the masculine scent.

Vetiver Extraordinaire is my favorite vetiver and my favorite fragrance from that house. But there are several other excellent fragrances from that house. Hard to go wrong.

You must have said you like fresh scents because these are the freshest ones in the line. The standout for me is Vetiver extraordinaire, which I own. The freshest, most natural vetiver ever.

If you like marine/aquatics, you should try Lys Mediterranee. The sales assistant must not have mentioned it because they always work under the assumption that men and flowers don't mix. Yet Lys mediterranee is a modern aquatic masculine scent mixed with a big, salty lily, which makes for a very relaxed, almost beachy scent true to its "mediterranee" name. I have a strong personal dislike for marine scents, so even that is a touch too much for me, but it should be ok for most people.

Malle is also known for bigger more structured scents, which may work well in England's cool weather, so you can try some of them as well. Portrait of a lady (which I also own) seems to get a lot of love among BNers. it is a big rose over a woody ambery modern masculine base.

cacio

I absolutely love Bigarade Concentree...I am obviously alone here, but it is fantastic and FAR from synthetic to my nose, I don't know how anyone could even describe it that way. It's a fantastic warm orange, which isn't very common. I don't get the BO on my skin, my wife absolutely loves it on me. It's great!

Geranium Pour Monsieur is fantastic also. It does have mint and it's a strong note, but it's all about the Geranium and I really like it. It's a good one too. So, the one's that were recommended for you are actually my favorites. I haven't tried the whole line but those two are my favorites. I hate Musc Ravageur, wow do I hate it. I can't figure out why people like it, it's foul, straight up foul to my nose. Carnal Flower is a STRONG one and it actually gives off a BO vibe to me. And L'eau D'hiver is quite powdery and stuffy to me. So, there's my two cents...love the ones that were recommended to you, don't dig the hyped one's out of this line...but that tends to be the case with me, I tend to love the underdogs and really dislike a lot of the hyped ones, not that I try to go against the crowd...my nose just isn't the best follower I guess.

No mention of it yet, but Une Rose is fantastic in my opinion. A sour-ish rose, that lasts forever. If I didn't already own so many rose fragrances I'd be all over this one. Simple, beautiful, and bright. Really addicting!

I second the recommendations for MR, Portrait of a Lady, and VE as well.

I love Musc Ravageur and Carnal Flower. I also wouldn't refuse a bottle of Lipstick Rose if someone gave it to me. Why? Because they smell good to me.

The ones suggested to you are lovely as well. I think you should let go of these preconceptions about anything being 'shocking' or your being subject to artists' experiments. Just go smell them and see if you like them.

Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Bois d'Orage
    Une Rose
    Le Parfum de Therese
    Carnal Flower
    Lys Mediterranee
    Noir Epices
    Iris Poudre
    Last edited by pluran; 26th March 2013 at 01:36 AM.

Vetiver extraordinaire, a great, visceral and sparkling take on vetiver, carnal flower because of its complex botanic vibe, Lys Mediterranee because of its evocative (on me) power, Musc Ravageur because of its undeniable sensuality, Une Rose for its elegance.

Musc Ravageur for the winter/fall and VE for the summer! The only scrubber of the line for me was Portrait!

Everything they put out is good. The offerings are different in the sense that they break fragrance rules, but if you are ignorant to those rules you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I have only tried 6 but so far I like Vetiver Extraordinaire the best.

Musc Ravegeur. It smells gorgeous from opening to dry down.

I like French Lover - reminds me of a walk through a forest in a park, Musc Ravageur - Like how it smells when it settles after the opening, Vetiver Extraordinaire - Have changed my mind on this after smelling other vetivers, I'm liking it more and more.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    You must have said you like fresh scents because these are the freshest ones in the line.
    Correct, I did indeed, along with the fact that in my fashion tastes and hobbies i explained that im just a very relaxed casual guy who likes gym and sports. I didnt want to mislead them, i made a point of explaining that i take life easy and i dont like dressing up or going out to impress people, although i do obviously care what others think to a degree and like to make a nice subtle impression. If i wear a scent, i want to wear it, i dont want the scent to wear me or mislead people into creating a wrong impression. This is who i am and im very comfortable with that. I also explained that im not a fan of very sweet, brash or loud scents.

The more i read, the more im looking forward to trying Geranium Pour Monsieur, it sounds nice and refined and well groomed but with a different slant on things. Could be intersting, could be a disaster? I guess il find out on Friday...

Im in no rush to add to my non existant collection, and am quite happy to walk away without a purchase if i dont like what i experience, but hopefully therell be one gem that suits me and i really take to.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice, its made very interesting reading about this fascinating line that im soon to discover.

Tried them all: Vetiver Extraordinaire is king in my book

Musc Ravageur for me, original and unique

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    I also explained that im not a fan of very sweet, brash or loud scents.
    Neither do I, and my favourite Malle is Angéliques sous la pluie, which is quite the opposite of that. L'eau d'hiver would be my next choice.

Geranium pour monsieur

it could be my signature perfume
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Geranium pour monsieur

it could be my signature perfume
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Junkie

Well, im back.

Geranium Pour Monsieur was probally my least favourite if im honest, and the Vetvier suits me the best imo, so im having a think about it, but if im going to go for one it will be the Vetvier.

Id also like to say the SA there was exceptional today, hats off to him, very helpful, friendly, no pressure, allowing me to try what i liked and having a friendly chat, just how it should be.

Needless to say his product knowledge went beyond the realms of normality.

I was very impressed.

DMA, thanks for the update. Good to hear you enjoyed the visit to the Malle boutique. By chance did you sample Angeliques Sous la Pluie? I failed to mention it in my previous post and wish I had. If longevity is not important to you, this fragrance might be to your liking.

The Malle SAs I have talked with have all been top notch. If all SAs were as excellent, I might never buy online.

I think you are discovering that this is a great house - there is so much to explore. Even the ones that didn't suit me still struck me as very high quality. My faves at the moment are Musc Ravageur, Portrait of a Lady, Vetiver Extraordinaire and Brigarade Concentree.

Portrait of a Lady is a drop dead gorgeous fragrance. It's dark, earthy, spicy, and that rose is the icing on the cake.

Overcome By Fumes

Good choice. Although I respect the idea of having a house of master perfumers, VE is the only Malle fragrance that I like. None of the other fragrances have ever really hit the spot for me.

This is one of my favorite houses.

My favorites are Carnal Flower, Musc Ravageur, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Portrait of a Lady, and Bigarade Concentree. En Passant is beautiful, but short lasting. Une Rose is a beautiful earthy rose. Lots to love here.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

The sales associate suggests that the main reccomendation for me based on my answers would be Musc Ravageur, with Portrait of a Lady and Extraordinaire as 2nd alternatives.

I have not try any of them yet, but for my Paris visit this March, I am going to try Portrait of a Lady and Carnal Flowers first, they are interest me the most.

I am going to buy two 100ml bottles if I find ones that are full-bottle-worthy.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Sorry, this is a little bit of topic but I didn't want to create a new thread. Can anyone sell me a sample of Portrait of a Lady?

Musc Ravageur is by far my favorite. Sweet and smooth, even after the somewhat raucous opening.

Noir Epices is next, likely going on the "to buy" list later in the year.

Dries I am disappointed with. I'll give it another chance but I expect that my opinion will remain the same. I can see where a lot of people might like it.

Vetiver I don't like.

Geranium I don't like.

Carnal Flower is too feminine for me, so it's not in the game.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 24th March 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: forgot about Carnal Flower

Bigarade Concentree I guess, this house really doesn't do it at all for me, most of their stuff is unwearable

Those you mentioned in your original post are all great options IMO. I own both GpM and Vetiver Extraordinaire but I'f I'd have to choose between the two I'd probably go for the latter because I find it more versatile and, overall, better quality-wise.

Other favorites of mine being Une Fleur De Cassie (quite challenging floral) and Carnal Flower (a bombastic tuberose) but I guess they won't fit your bill...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Portrait of a lady and Musc Ravaguer

DMA, did you make your choice?.... one of the most artistic houses in modern perfumery. however, i wonder how often does everybody wear their scents.... i have a bunch but seldomly reach for them. when i wear them sometimes i like them a lot, other times i barely do.
    my favorite is noir epices. rich, spicy oriental, i like it every time.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

MR is the best for a night scent
    For a work scent, there may be no better than Geranium Pour Monsieur.

treeman5823

Sorry, but, according to a recent thread, since FM carries some "feminine" fragrances in his line, men cannot reply to this topic. Moderator! Moderator! Move this treasonous thread to the General Fragance forum ASAP!

Vetiver Extraordinaire & Carnal Flower, because it's unique and masterfully made
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Portrait Of A Lady, En Passant and Bigarade Concentre are my favorites from the line.

Portrait Of A Lady- Rose, patchouli, incense and raspberry with other spices. Long lasting, very balanced and the best of his line in my opinion.
    En Passant- Rainy lilacs with a hint of a bread and cucumber note. The most realistic and natural interpretation of wet lilacs in the rain.
    Bigarade Concentre - Bitter orange, grapefruit with rose and hay. Long lasting for a strong citrus and still more elegant than casual while remaining complex.

Some others worth sampling depending on your taste are...
    Geranium Pour Monsieur- Earthy geranium with mint and light incense.
    Vetiver Extraordinaire- Dark unwavering vetiver. Have to be a big fan of vetiver to like this one.
    Musc Ravageur- Musky cloves, vanilla and cinnamon.
    Carnal Flower- Heavy tuberose, coconut and white flowers.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Bigarade Concentree I guess, this house really doesn't do it at all for me, most of their stuff is unwearable
    Another one for Bigarade Concentree, because it is similar to Declaration, which is one of my favourites.

Vetiver Extraordinaire is easily my favorite (and the one I own so far from the line). It's stunning.

Musc Ravageur

Well, so far I've only tested two, and I have a third to try. I tried VE and it was okay, but I LOVED Musc Ravageur (hype aside). I love the opening (something others don't, apparently), and the dry down is one of the best I've smelled. I can see myself wearing this all 4 seasons long, mostly at night.

Seriously considering a bottle of MR. I took the quiz and they told me I'd love it, and they were not wrong.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 25th March 2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I've sAmpled Bigarade, Carnal Flower, Musc Ravageur, and I just got in a sample of VE yesterday.

VE is my favorite. A very green, fresh and earthy Vetyver that is also extremely smooth.

I hate carnal flower for the tuberose. Bigarade concentrate has too much Cumin in it a la Declaration, and Musc Ravageur just did not impress me very much.

Musc Ravegeur, love the muscy spicy top note

Basenotes Plus

Portrait of a Lady, Geranium pour Monsieur, and Noir Epices are my favorites.

I really like Carnal Flower except for the first microsecond of the opening.

I don't get the hype of Musc Ravageur over the rest of the line. Its opening is spectacular but the drydown leaves much to be desired.

Musc Ravageur and Vetiver Extraordinaire