Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile hmmm is this still Sandalwood?

Hi all, so I just received some indian sandalwood in the mail and it smells like pine needles, is this normal? I am used to getting a creamy buttery like woody smell that raptures my mind but again this stuff smells like pine needles and it is also kinda difficult to even smell it... anyways my knowledge is very limited because of my experience and I was wondering if I got jacked or if that just the way some sandalwood smells...

Any advice on my next order of sandalwood would be appreciated too... I normally get it from new directions aromatics if someone has tried to compare... but I am looking to try something new (thus the pine needle sandalwood)

thanks

PS I also bought the sandalwood from a reputable dealer but still, i hope its not fake

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: hmmm is this still Sandalwood?

At the very least, an inferior product. more probably, an adulteration of even a mislabeled bottle. Take it back.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pkiler!

Post Thanks / Like

True Indian Sandalwood is pretty well impossible to get now. I think you may have been sold a dud.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Sandalwood, like any natural, does vary from batch to batch. Genuine Indian sandalwood from Santalum album is extremely difficult to obtain now and to be honest probably better not to buy as the plants there are endangered. It certainly should not smell like pine needles.

Personally I use Vanuatu Sandalwood from Santalum austrocaledonicum, which is grown in a sustainable way. It has been out of stock for a while at Hermitage but I believe they will shortly have some available again: I'd recommend trying that.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Try sampling Amouage Sandal Attar, if you can find it.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris,

I had been studying your website before taking a chance on trying a new sandalwood for me. I was on the edge and really convinced to try the Vanuatu Sandalwood but last minute I changed my mind because I had only tried what I believed to be the mysore type of sandalwood... and felt conflicted it might be a leap to the Vanuatu... wow I wish I didnt change my mind last minute but grateful in a way to explore the range of sandalwood quality and didnt splurge on a large quantity

live and learn thanks again for the advice... as soon as Hermitage has Sandalwood back in stock, I will order some

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amouage Sandal Attar looks incredible! I read the other basenote threads and found the product online... wow! would really like to smell it... The description is very interesting "The perfume is both gentle and intriguingly authoritative"

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Personally I use Vanuatu Sandalwood from Santalum austrocaledonicum, which is grown in a sustainable way. It has been out of stock for a while at Hermitage but I believe they will shortly have some available again: I'd recommend trying that.
    A quick update on this - I've just been talking to Adam at Hermitage and he tells me he will have the Santalum austrocaledonicum, in limited quanitities only, on the site next week. I'm planning on snapping some up while it's available . . .
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

You have been had - Indian Sandalwood is not available anymore

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckyrory View Post
    Amouage Sandal Attar looks incredible! I read the other basenote threads and found the product online... wow! would really like to smell it... The description is very interesting "The perfume is both gentle and intriguingly authoritative"
    As you are in Canada:-

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/s...sentialoilso-z
    http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/...urals-h-z.aspx
    http://www.edenbotanicals.com/sandalwood-rare.html

The Amouage one is lovely quality & 12ml.
    P.M. your address if you would like a small sample of mine (free) for educational purposes - one time offer 'though as I only have about 6ml left & am selfishly keeping it all - it's just to let you test it.
    I don't have enough to share otherwise & would be selling it on ebay if that were the case!

Where did you buy yours from? - only asking so others (probably me) don't repeat your mistake - pm if u like!
    People are cutting sub-standard oils a lot, passing off stuff as other stuff.
    Last edited by lpp; 31st January 2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: server.....blasted server s!

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

As you are in Canada:-

http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/s...sentialoilso-z
    http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/...urals-h-z.aspx
    http://www.edenbotanicals.com/sandalwood-rare.html

The Amouage one is lovely quality & 12ml.
    P.M. your address if you would like a small sample of mine (free) for educational purposes - one time offer 'though as I only have about 6ml left & am selfishly keeping it all - it's just to let you test it.
    I don't have enough to share otherwise & would be selling it on ebay if that were the case!

Where did you buy yours from? - only asking so others (probably me) don't repeat your mistake - pm if u like!
    People are cutting sub-standard oils a lot, passing off stuff as other stuff.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?d...755&do=discuss

Suggest check this out - @bluemoon knows more than we ever will1

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect!! I am going to get some too!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Ipp, That is VERY generous of you! especially when an once of Amouage Sandal Attar goes for $500 from what I saw :0)) ... sadly I think its too generous and I am truelly inspired by this scent that a perfect stranger would take the time to mail me a sample!! wow Thanks Ipp for the offer!!!

I got it from perfumers apprentice but I emailed them about it and they say they are hosting the EO from John Steele but again my noise and experience is quite limited, that I can only compare the EO to one other brand.

A more of a description of the product would be that the higher notes of the product are piney, then woody, and then I get a taste of slight creamyness... comparative to the other brand was a very heavy comforting woody creamyness without the pineyness...both products had poor silage, but john steele silage was noticeably much poorer. I also take into account the aromatherapy benefits of the product, and part of this analysis was a metacognitive analysis, in which between the two I felt no benefits from the john steele (which could easily be because of placebo)

But if I didnt know any better, I would think that the two sandalwoods I had tried would be 2 different oils... And the first one I tried, I would want to drown my noise all day in the scent and I really enjoyed getting friends to smell my wrist just so I could see their pupils dilate and see them receed into themselves with slight upturned smile as if they just had the most wonderful daydream... vs this one which would be like meh just another smell.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

www.edenbotanicals.com/sandalwood-rare.html looks very good! I was actually considering their sandalwood along with Chris's recommendation on the Santalum austrocaledonicum before I got the John Steele sandalwood.

I will definitely order their sample pack of sandalwood or should I just dive into the rare sandalwood Ipp?

I think I should order both Hermitage and eden botanicals sandalwood to have a complete range of sandalwoods...
    Last edited by luckyrory; 31st January 2013 at 09:20 PM.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you mean to say that the Sandalwood that I said to return came from PA? and John Steele?

Hmmm... Should be pretty good stuff then...

Kaern - Sure, EI Sandalwood, Santalum Album is indeed available, but it's not cheap either...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, that is why I am surprised, I made sure to research quality... But again my range of sandalwood knowledge is VERY limited and it could be a matter of personal taste or I could of gotten a bad bunch like you said or the initial sandalwood I am comparing it too was very well aged. I am too inexperienced to have a true opinion

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! - well, don't worry Rory, 'cos my Amouage sandalwood was only about £50 for 12ml!
    Not sure why - it was from Les Senteurs some years ago when Amouage single attars were pretty reasonable, also possibly before our currency collapsed! I'm perfectly happy to send some. There are still places who sell it at a reasonable price.
    The Amouage isn't strong like the sandalwood from the 1960's, but echoes it, no off notes, definitely dreamy, little sillage.

Surprised to hear about the Steele oil - was considering ordering some based on positive comments that I'd read about his stuff.
    Maybe go for samples until you find one you like? Sri Lankan can be nice too.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

THANKS Ipp!! I was surprised as well, oh well, I think I am going to take your advice and go for samples at eden botanicals. They have a 6 bottle sample pack. I hope my education on sandalwood ranges will be drastically increased.

I am also going to put an order for similar accords of Amouage (from what I read)... Any advice??

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/produc...pler-pack.html

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, that is why I am surprised, I made sure to research quality... But again my range of sandalwood knowledge is VERY limited and it could be a matter of personal taste or I could of gotten a bad bunch like you said or the initial sandalwood I am comparing it too was very well aged. I am too inexperienced to have a true opinion
    Age makes a huge difference to the smell of even very good quality sandalwood oil. I have a sample of stuff that's well over 100 years old that smells stunning, but even my 30 year old is streets ahead of freshly made stuff.

Sandalwood normally comes with some undesirable top-notes and these fade away as it ages - doubtless there are other changes going on too but sandalwood is one of those oils that really does improve a lot with age.
    Chris Bartlett

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just tried to reply & it logged out/seems lost.
    Trying again!
    Agree with Chris - leave the sandalwood for a few years in a dark place. Patchouli is the same.
    When you find one u like, suggest buy some before the batch sells out!

- - - Updated - - -

THANKS Ipp!! I was surprised as well, oh well, I think I am going to take your advice and go for samples at eden botanicals. They have a 6 bottle sample pack. I hope my education on sandalwood ranges will be drastically increased.

I am also going to put an order for similar accords of Amouage (from what I read)... Any advice??

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/produc...pler-pack.html
    Are you aiming for a general Amouage exotic style or one in particular? I'm not up to date, but they are so varied. The attars are very different to the sprays.
    They certainly use top quality ingredients, but I don't know whether our E.E.C. regulations or just pure volume of sales/availability of ingredients have affected them recently. Just opened a new factory, so fingers firmly crossed.
    Sore subject here - I have a couple of bottles of the 'new' Homage that were left sealed for a couple of years (so not returnable) & when opened were totally so weak & unrecognisable that I am doctoring them - ended up adding some of their Silver Oud, various roses, lemon, ambergris, frankincense, jasmine, neroli....nearly there with one so far! And it's not my memory playing tricks as I still have the old stuff!

Think that the posts are getting lost when I try to add links, so pm if u want some.

Oud is costly, but goes a very long way. Abdul Samad Al Qurashi is a reliable house - the guys in the oud group have huge knowledge here (unlike me), but for mixing ASAQ should be fine, the Dhen al oud Cambodi/muattaq is possibly a good place to start?
    Zahra's has oud, as does the Misk Shoppe and others. Recently had an order from Zahra's & it shipped in good time. She doesn't hold stock, so may be a bit slower than someone local who does. The web site is a mine of information. There's a guy in Dubai also.

Should you feel like an oud journey, Agar Aura & Oriscent are both very well regarded indeed.

ASAQ are a major grower of Taifi rose, but the lower grades are not strong and probably not economic to play with - lovely to wear as is.
    Surrati do an amazing & reasonable 'Rose Taef', but given their ability to ape stuff, not 100% sure how natural it is. I adore it 'though, wear it loads, no off notes. Can't afford the Amouage Taifi one right now. Amouage ordinary 'Rose' (damask/Bulgarian) attar is very good & very calming but I personally value it too much to play with it and it is fairly subtle.
    Hermitage currently has a very nice Turkish rose absolute - possibly your best bet - Turkish absolute does not seem too easy to find?
    I read somewhere that the Bulgarians' best roses go to make Otto & the Turks' to make absolute?
    And the Afghanis are growing it instead of poppies, fingers crossed for them & us. Irani is available, maybe not very strong?

Omani/Somali frankincense is available. Long-term you could tincture the tears yourself - I have some Hogari tincture pending!

Not sure how helpful this is?
    I hope you enjoy the journey!
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd February 2013 at 09:40 PM.

I've never experienced sandalwood that smelled like pine needles. I have a few ml's I purchased a few years ago that is supposedly East Indian Sandalwood (I have my doubts) that smells nothing like pine needles.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I've never experienced sandalwood that smelled like pine needles. I have a few ml's I purchased a few years ago that is supposedly East Indian Sandalwood (I have my doubts) that smells nothing like pine needles.
    Every bottle that I own smells different, some have notes that might be considered 'piney' (or just not what was expected!) - I just leave them alone & check them occasionally if I'm looking for one to use - be interested to know what other people do?
    That's a reason to buy a supply if you find one that you personally like, assuming that you can be sure that you're buying from the same batch!

Natural products not only vary batch to batch from one producer, but also due to manufacturing differences between producers & use of different species. And different suppliers have varying turnovers.
    A lot of wheat is grown locally here & each year the crops look different and give different yields & quality, same thing really.
    'Amyris' is sometimes bought as a substitute for sandalwood and has a very strong smell indeed to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sandlewood in my experience has never resembled pine needles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Age makes a huge difference to the smell of even very good quality sandalwood oil. I have a sample of stuff that's well over 100 years old that smells stunning, but even my 30 year old is streets ahead of freshly made stuff.

Sandalwood normally comes with some undesirable top-notes and these fade away as it ages - doubtless there are other changes going on too but sandalwood is one of those oils that really does improve a lot with age.
    Agree with Chris. I have a 150 year old Sandalwood (manufactured by the East India Company before the Brits colonized India), and its nothing like any of the Sandalwood EO's that I've collected over the past 15 years. A company in India used to sell pure Sandalwood EO's that came very close to the real thing - Forest Essentials. Unfortunately they don't sell them anymore, and anything you get in India is probably adulterated.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful Ipp! I never knew about the differences in roses.. Turkish rose absolute sounds like a must buy! (and will order when I make my order from Hermitage) Is there a big range in quality of frankincense too? I am going to put in order today from Edens and now youve gotten me thinking even deeper.

This Journey is exciting! every turn in the road is leading to new discoverys!

- - - Updated - - -

100-150 year old bottles! I am developing such a passion for just the normal store boughten sandalwood that I dont even think my mind could comprehend even a 30 year sandalwood by the sounds of it!!

I just put in an order for two types of Frankincense after some research of the frankincense
    Amouage uses. Sadly alot of the resources say that that kind of quality of "silver" frankincense doesn't leave the middle east

http://www.amouage.com/frankincense.php
    Last edited by luckyrory; 4th February 2013 at 01:58 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a proper way to age sandalwood?
    Time: you don't need to do anything special really. Stable room temperature and not too much air contact are good, but really it's just time.
    Chris Bartlett

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver and Patchouli can be aged as well. Some rumors have it that you need enough quantity to age EOs well, i.e. a few ml won't give you the same result as a kilo, over the same period of time. I don't know if that can be verified or what's the science behind it.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats very interesting and good to know when I start aging

Post Thanks / Like

It's concerning to me that you say this sandalwood came from Perfumer's Apprentice from their John Steele selection. I thought these were really good quality - their price would suggest so.
    I just checked the site and there is not much information beyond that the oil comes from India. I wonder what the story is there?

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe someone else who has bought some of this recently can chip in?

Mr Steele's contact details are on Perfumer's Apprentice's website.

It's probably just as Chris says - age.

I was looking at a website (Ananda) the other day as they had some lovely Patchouli a few years ago (which is even better now) and they have clearly made the point that their Indian sandalwood is quite freshly made so they offer an option of buying it blended with Vanuatu.
    Last edited by lpp; 4th February 2013 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best way is to contact Mr. Steele directly and ask for the source and year of your oil. We can only speculate and guess, but he has the real answers.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats very interesting and good to know when I start aging
    Haha!
    Included some Hougari (maybe) frankincense tears, which you may chew if you wish! Bit like gum, but nicer - or u could tincture it or put a bit on an open fire.
    Have fun!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ariodant View Post
    I think the best way is to contact Mr. Steele directly and ask for the source and year of your oil. We can only speculate and guess, but he has the real answers.
    I've been trying various sandalwood accords and oils and substitutes for a while now. The Sandal Wood Supreme 3ml (which was 30 dollars) from J Steele is the best I've tried so far. It's far superior to the Australian Sandalwood I tried. Sandalwood accord from perfumers apprentice is nice but doesn't really smell like good sandalwood oil.

J Steele also has a Sandalwood Heartwood Oil which is 3ml for 50$ and I'm going to try that next.

Unfortunately, I have a high standard for sandalwood oil. Back in the 70's my grandmother had an indian neighbor who would make sandalwood inscence sticks for her. Smelling that burning was one of my earliest memories...it was amazing. They lived in the same apartment for 40 years and the odor of sandalwood was in the walls, the rugs, their clothes, everything. When she finally passed away and we cleaned out the apartment it still smelled beautiful. And she hadn't burned a single incense stick in at least 10 years or more. Crazy right?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

YOU CAN CHEW IT TOO! LOL! Frankincense just gets better better the more I discover about it!! lol

Ya the descriptions are very lacking. I really like how Ananda's makes a point to be as descriptive as possible on key points. I am surprised that more suppliers do not be as informative as possible on an ingrediants that really varies.

I really like http://www.naturesgift.com/essential...htm#SANDALWOOD product descriptions too.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

@ luckyrory - And it's supposed to be an anti-inflammatory - research is being done on this.

Interesting description there on naturesgift -

@Pharmacist_Blender - thanks for that - and yes, amazing stuff - there used to be a Wood Museum @ Kew Gardens where they had a large piece of sandalwood - maybe a table? & it had permeated the whole room with it's fragrance.

The Vanuatu people appear to sell their best wood as small blocks - very tempting!
    http://www.thesummitvanuatu.com/the-...ss=Y&proID=134

Yay - managed a link!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with sandalwood having to have high standards. From my first whiff of the scent is really what has spring bored into a passion of discovering other fragrances and trying to recapture and expand on my experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been scoping out sites like http://www.thesummitvanuatu.com/ too lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I ve been tempted on this site http://buyvanuatusandalwoodonline.com/

- - - Updated - - -

I failed on a link! lol

- - - Updated - - -

same product and brand though
    Last edited by luckyrory; 4th February 2013 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Synthetic sandalwood accords are sharp and dry. They never recapitulate the smooth creaminess of the real thing. I'm surprised that people have not come up with ways to mass-synthesize santolol?

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

@luckyrory
    Do you think that you should send a bit of your errant sandalwood to Mr Steele @ Lifetree & ask for his comments?
    - 'cos you seem pretty clued up to me & they might have sent you the wrong one?
    Someone else out there's probably also wondering why their oil smells strange!
    Even in the best run businesses mix-ups can happen.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have avoided ordering synth sandalwood because of descriptions like yours ariodant

Ah! I should of thought of that, I felt like I had to suck it up and take it on the chin after I emailed PA. So I marinated the sandalwood in perfumers alcohol. (to try and bring out the aroma) Now that I reflect and have a better education, I should of just put it away for a couple of years and sent a sample to Mr Steele.

But I have to admit, I am glad the sandalwood is not up to par because I sure did learn alot from this experience. (which was my initial goal for trying something new) and I didnt order alot.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

As for inexpensive Sandalwood Accords to mimic the natural exactly, get over it. When a natural has the complexity and molecular structure of elements numbering the inhabitants of a small town, then putting eight or twelve molecules together and expecting miracles is unreasonable. A good sandalwood accord might encompass 75 materials, many of which would be expensive, and it still won't be a perfect match.

And Believe me that the Fragrance Chemist have been trying for decades to synthesize Santalol. I think I just read about some Alpha Santalol Success, but it's the Beta Santalol that is really the prize. Even so, Santalol alone still isn't the complete answer.

Get John on the phone, and pick his brain, he's a nice guy, and extremely knowledgeable... I've really enjoyed talking to and learning from him.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Synthetic sandalwood accords are sharp and dry. They never recapitulate the smooth creaminess of the real thing. I'm surprised that people have not come up with ways to mass-synthesize santolol?
    The santalols (both alpha and beta) can indeed be synthesised, the trouble is no-one has yet come up with a method that does not rely on such expensive starting materials and inefficient processing that the result is more costly than the oil itself. It's worth remembering how tough this kind of chemistry really is. The man who worked out how to successfully synthesise plain, cheap old l-menthol on an industrial scale won a Nobel Prize for it - santalol is evidently more difficult still . . .

Meanwhile back at the real sandalwood - I've heard from Adam this evening that Vanuatu Sandalwood is back on the site and my order is already placed - so you might want to get yours in quick before it all sells. I believe he only has a Kg and I've already had a big chunk of that . . .

Final thought: a good sandalwood accord is never going to be an equal to the natural oil (given it won't contain the santalols) but it does not have to be dry and sharp: there are good enough synthetics about that a reasonably skilled perfumer can come up with a good facsimile - of course that probably won't be exactly cheap - and that's the issue. Most accords and bases being sold are produced from cheap materials and designed by perfumers to narrow margins and a deadline . . .
    Chris Bartlett

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Chris! Glad to hear that you saved some for the rest of us lol

Interesting about the Beta Santalol being the prize. I often see a companys Certificate of Analysis of their sandalwood and see their Santalol content.

Example:Santalol: 91.1% at http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca...ian-p-344.html

How telling is a general Santalol reading like this of its quality? and do you ever come across a Beta Santalol reading?

http://www.edenbotanicals.com/produc...wood-rare.html

Is it possible to determine the quality of sandalwood by these readings or are these types of readings posted to prove that it is pure sandalwood and not scams?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really trust new direction's oils. A friend of mine bought either patchouli or vetiver oil from them and found the oil to not completely dissolve in pure ethanol. The company said it's a "batch variance" and recommended her to buy the organic version (read: expensive) instead. After that incident I have stayed away from that company.

I've had good experience with eden botanicals, although they are a bit pricy for the quality. But they didn't list the % of santalol, and it's the % that matters.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: hmmm is this still Sandalwood?

I don't really trust new direction's oils. A friend of mine bought either patchouli or vetiver oil from them and found the oil to not completely dissolve in pure ethanol. The company said it's a "batch variance" and recommended her to buy the organic version (read: expensive) instead. After that incident I have stayed away from that company.

I've had good experience with eden botanicals, although they are a bit pricy for the quality. But they didn't list the % of santalol, and it's the % that matters.
    Maybe ask them before purchase if interested?

Mind you, these guys don't state it either & it's turned out the best that I've had for years, apart from the Amouage.
    And given the price, I was quite surprised.
    Appears to be UK shipping only 'though - no overseas options in the checkout form.
    http://www.essentialoilsonline.co.uk...to_Z.html#a146

Nature's Gift does give the gc/ms of their Sandalwood oils on their website. for example, the 2012 Tamil is at http://www.naturesgift.com/PDF-Files...Tamil-2012.pdf

It depends on what you mean by "pine needles", but most probably you were sold something different than what you thought you were buying. Never have I smelled a sandalwood that smelled like pine needles, and I've smelled quite a few over the years.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    True Indian Sandalwood is pretty well impossible to get now.
    Even from government regulated outfits?
    http://www.karnataka.gov.in/mysoresa...ages/home.aspx

Edit: I mean they appear to have a good reputation and
    involvement with S. Album, so is it the middle men
    responsible for adulterated / substituted oils?
    Last edited by Odeon; 13th April 2014 at 06:32 AM.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy and love their Soaps!

But buying Sandalwood EO? Hmmm...

It was interesting to read through their "tenders" for perfumery chems and one EO.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was fortunate to receive both their soap and EO, they are of the same animal. The EO smells like I remember
    sandalwood smelling and it matches a small amount I have from another source. I'd like to think it's the real
    thing at least as a reference material.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Odeon View Post
    Even from government regulated outfits?
    http://www.karnataka.gov.in/mysoresa...ages/home.aspx

Edit: I mean they appear to have a good reputation and
    involvement with S. Album, so is it the middle men
    responsible for adulterated / substituted oils?
    There are many suppliers who promise genuine Indian Sandalwood; in my experience most of them do not supply what they promise.

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

Odeon, What did you pay for the EO?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have experience with Vanuatu from Nature's Gift? I just bought 15ml, wondering if it's creamier...nuttier...sharp woody?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW Americana Rust (tobacco and wood...no cherry or vanilla filler.) / NEW Engin (aldehydes/amber/wood/smoke.) / NEW NorOud (Oud and Hops - a Northerly bright fragrance.)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hermitage have Indian Sandalwood (http://www.hermitageoils.com/sandalw...l-oil-agmarked) this can be trustworthy?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Odeon, What did you pay for the EO?

PK
    It was about US $55 for 5 grams