Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur

From the blog Now Smell This:

French niche line L’Artisan Parfumeur will launch Caligna, a new woody aromatic fragrance. Caligna will be fronted by dancer Gudrun Ghesquière.

Addictive and aromatic. Take a stroll through the Grasse countryside, where mountains and the Mediterranean meet…

L’Artisan Parfumeur, together with perfumer Dora Baghriche-Arnaud, honours an emblematic but less well-known ingredient of the Grasse region: the clary sage. Fresh and sensual, green and woody, fruity and ambery, the highly-facetted clary sage was the starting point for this perfume, and is married to, and enhanced with notes of fig and a jasmine marmalade accord, with all the natural richness of this iconic flower, resulting in an incomparable freshness and luminosity. The warm woody effect of the perfume’s base comes from the resinous depth of lentisk, a native plant of the maquis, and from pine needles, redolent of Mediterranean hillsides.
    L’Artisan Parfumeur Caligna will be available in 100 ml Eau de Parfum, £95.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Caligna by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Will be picking this up from Barneys at the end of April for my collection.

Basenotes Institution

I personally really detest the smell of clary sage, so this one will be challenging for me. But I want to try it, when it's released.

Does the word 'caligna' translate to English?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sounds like a good one. Sample Alert!

From Flair: "Caligna, which is provencal dialect for « courting », proves to meet all these ambitions: claim a traditional French heritage and capture, on unexplored fields, the essence and sweet Mediterranean atmosphere of Grasse’s backcountry. "

Basenotes Institution

Thanks hednic.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Interesting. I will want to sample it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Is has pine needles in it, so of course I'm interested!

Basenotes Institution

Yeah furrypine, those were my thoughts also. Someone tell Resident Conehead, Odysseusm, about this one.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

The Barneys in New York has the exclusive on this in the US as I understand.
    Last edited by hednic; 30th January 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Sounds good. It might even turn out to be the first L'Artisan that I like.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Sounds great. Can't wait.

for swap/sale:

Just received it this afternoon from First in Fragrance in Germany - Caligna 100ml. They had it way before the USA, and much cheaper only 100 Euros without VAT and free shipping (since I placed a very large order) I had gotten the last bottle before it went out of stock there. Just applied a little on the back of my hand and it smelled divine!

It's a nice one, I smelled it a month or so ago. You could smell the jasmine but it is a non-indolic jasmine, very smooth. But I honestly don't remember it very well, only that I pretty much liked it.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    ...Just applied a little on the back of my hand and it smelled divine!
    Describe it a bit, please? I like to smell all the new L'Artisans, just to know.

I don't have the best nose for discerning notes, but I can tell you that I clearly pick out the sage and the pine. Having a tough time getting the jasmine though I am sure it's there. I bought this blind so to me it really didn't matter. It had to go in my collection - my 58th 100ml L'Artisan, only second to my Montales which number 76 100ml bottles. Obsessed? Yes, but happy!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

hednic, do you see it as unisex or leaning toward masculine?
    What is the sillage like? Longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    hednic, do you see it as unisex or leaning toward masculine?
    What is the sillage like? Longevity?
    L'Artisan Parfumeur doesn't market it to either gender so for me that signals unisex. Good for anyone IMO. Good longevity - applied it at 2:30PM and I can still smell it now. Not able to gauge the sillage.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks!

Edit 2/10/14: I did eventually try a sample of it but I realized I did not want another fig fragrance (not to oversimplify it.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th February 2014 at 01:36 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Sage is tricky for me, so this sounds like it could go either way for me.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I've been re-sampling this one the whole day and it's been giving me a total MI vibe.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Sometimes i wonder if L'Artisan is trying to change their image from something edgy to a more safe approach. Their latest offerings seems to play much more safe than their more innovative ones like Dzing, Dzonghka, Timbuktu, Bois Farine, only to mention a few. I'm not so fond of their new image but i do appreciate that they still seem to be well crafted. I like Caligna but i hate the aromatic Violet touch that they have put on it. It doesn't seem to match the rest and gives it a cheap average masculine vibe at the opening. If it wasn't a green jasmine to give it a more sophisticated touch i guess that i would hate and not stand the violet on it. I don't get clare sage on this fragrance, honestly i think more of thyme when i smell it on my skin, thyme with the green jasmine, something slightly fruity and the green and cool mastic note.
    The overall fragrance aura reminds me somehow of Absolue pour Le Matin, but without the cosmetic touch of Pour Le Matin, more aromatic maybe.
    I don't know if i would pay high for a full bottle of it, because the violet really bothers me.

This is not an easy one for everyone to feel comfortable wearing IMO. One needs to like violet and sage for sure.

(4021)
    Last edited by hednic; 10th February 2014 at 03:47 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Sometimes i wonder if L'Artisan is trying to change their image from something edgy to a more safe approach. Their latest offerings seems to play much more safe than their more innovative ones like Dzing, Dzonghka, Timbuktu, Bois Farine, only to mention a few. I'm not so fond of their new image but i do appreciate that they still seem to be well crafted. I like Caligna but i hate the aromatic Violet touch that they have put on it. It doesn't seem to match the rest and gives it a cheap average masculine vibe at the opening. If it wasn't a green jasmine to give it a more sophisticated touch i guess that i would hate and not stand the violet on it. I don't get clare sage on this fragrance, honestly i think more of thyme when i smell it on my skin, thyme with the green jasmine, something slightly fruity and the green and cool mastic note.
    The overall fragrance aura reminds me somehow of Absolue pour Le Matin, but without the cosmetic touch of Pour Le Matin, more aromatic maybe.
    I don't know if i would pay high for a full bottle of it, because the violet really bothers me.
    The composition is definitely very interesting. And frankly it's not an easy one to decipher. The accord is both seamlessly blended, making it somewhat challenging to breakdown, also because of these newworld notes like ambroxan.
    Violet isn't very prominent in this. I can sense it's facet the accord but it doesn't stand out.
    What stands out is the almost-gourmand mid accord.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 10th February 2014 at 04:10 PM.

for swap/sale:

On me its very noticeable from the first moments Hedonist, maybe because i hate it i'm able to smell it very clearly on my skin