Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chanel 'Les Exclusifs' 'Sycomore' Official Thread

Hi everyone,

I know that there have been a few posts on this fragrance but I was wondering if everyone could contribute anything they know about release dates, if they have tried it etc. Is it aimed at men or women? Has it been officially announced? I just think it would be a good thing to collect all info on this into one thread?

If you can help in anyway, please do.

Regards

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Chanel 'Les Exclusifs' 'Sycomore' Official Thread

Found this tibdit online, from the blog Les Tuileries:

'...a rather intriguing thread on a peculiar eBay auction. It features a lot of 11 miniature fragrances (count them, 11) from Les Exclusifs de Chanel: the original 10 plus Sycomore, a rare 1930 fragrance composed by none other than maestro Ernest Beaux.

It was later revealed that the set (shown above via eBay) was handed out during the Chanel Printemps/Été 2008 Haute Couture presentation. (Of course, the item is in mint condition with the original press material, thus eliminating the possibility of it being a hoax.) Celebrity guests such as Sophia Coppola, Clémence Poésy (a.k.a Fleur Delacour in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) and Natalia Vodianova were all given a set. This begs the question: is Sycomore in the pipeline...'

More here: http://tuileries.blogspot.com/2008/0...de-chanel.html
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th February 2008 at 08:49 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am wearing Sycomore. It's a vetiver and woods, no floral notes. Immediately thought of Encre Noir. Seems to have decent staying power. I like it very much. Sorry i am not better at descriptions.

Sprayed it on at a presentation at the New York Chanel education studio today. They had no samples to give, they are shipping with the fragrance which is not in yet...sometime this month.
    Last edited by TheCure; 2nd March 2008 at 01:04 AM.

So would you say it is aimed at men or women?

to me, it falls WELL within traditional ideas of what a man should smell like!

A long lost Beaux creation? Sign me up - lets hope it hasn't undergone the typical Chanel cost saving surgery...
    -

Where is this sold?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    Where is this sold?
    Where all of the Exclusifs are sold: Chanel boutiques.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
    I am wearing Sycomore. It's a vetiver and woods, no floral notes. Immediately thought of Encre Noir. Seems to have decent staying power. I like it very much. Sorry i am not better at descriptions.

Sprayed it on at a presentation at the New York Chanel education studio today. They had no samples to give, they are shipping with the fragrance which is not in yet...sometime this month.
    I was not impressed by Encre Noir (although I know I'm in the minority). But a vetiver/wood prominent Chanel fragrance sounds good, I'll go and sniff some when it's available.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd March 2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I hope this is better. I went through the trouble to visit the boutique and test everything in the Exclusif line. Not one, not even one captivated me enough to purchase. I was so dissapointed as I have heard many good things about a few in that line. It seems that the only Chanel I adore are Pour Monsieur Original and Anteus.

Edit: However, those are the coolest bottles I have ever seen. I love how the cap is somehow magnetized or something to screw itself on.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 2nd March 2008 at 07:13 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

From Amablia.com: The principal notes in Sycomore are supposed to be:

Vetiver, sandalwood, cypress, juniper, pink peppercorns.

I got the call today; it's at the Chanel boutique in San Francisco.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 28th March 2008 at 04:13 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    From Amablia.com: The principal notes in Sycomore are supposed to be:

Vetiver, sandalwood, cypress, juniper, pink peppercorns.

I got the call today; it's at the Chanel boutique in San Francisco.
    Thanks for staying with this thread. Will you be going to try it soon?

Regards

Is Sychomore supposed to contain also Sychomore notes?

I received a call earlier this week from my SA at the Chanel boutique in NYC. They have it in stock now, ready to ship. As far as this being suitable for men or women, it's definitely more of a masculine scent but I wear vetiver & woods very well. This smells amazing on me but I don't think I'm the "norm".
    Current Favorites: #5 edt, #19 edt & parfum - Chanel, FRACAS - Robert Piguet, A Taste of Heaven - By Killian, Apres L'Ondee- Guerlain, LUX & Carnation - Mona di Orio, Une Rose - Frederick Malle, Kiki - Vero Kern, Bois de Violette & Sarrasins - Serge Lutens

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Waldemar View Post
    Is Sychomore supposed to contain also Sychomore notes?
    No.

However I am sure that the cypress and vetiver notes help contribute to the very dry, woody 'concept' that Chanel was aiming for.

Sycamore trees (that is the North American variety) are one of the few trees that have that visible exterior molting (or shedding) of the trunk, leaving the trunk dried, mottled and flaky. Almost acid-washed, if you will.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th March 2008 at 03:21 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Just tried this at the Chanel boutique in Soho. Quick impression on first wearing is that, as The Cure said, it's reminiscent of Encre Noir in its presentation of vetiver, with the sandalwood lending it a sweeter drydown and richer base.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Creek View Post
    Just tried this at the Chanel boutique in Soho. Quick impression on first wearing is that, as The Cure said, it's reminiscent of Encre Noir in its presentation of vetiver, with the sandalwood lending it a sweeter drydown and richer base.
    I prefer Timbuktu to Encre Noire .Thinking to buy a bottle of this shady and wild scent. Turin is right, Timbuktu is a worth to try.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    I prefer Timbuktu to Encre Noire .Thinking to buy a bottle of this shady and wild scent. Turin is right, Timbuktu is a worth to try.
    Very interesting... while I love Encre Noire, its lasting ability .. or rather the lack of any lasting ability puts me off... i'll be on the lookout for this one.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    Thanks for staying with this thread. Will you be going to try it soon?

Regards
    Yes. I went into the Chanel boutique this morning and smelled it. For a while, I equivocated and tried to see if I preferred Bel Respiro. Giving Sycomore a bit of time, however, I started to perceive the smokiness that pushes out after the first 10–15 minutes, and then the pink peppercorn note. Then the real vetiver note comes out. The cypress, sandalwood, and juniper don't come across much on my skin. It doesn't seem to resemble Encre Noir all that much to me. I think the Sycomore is drier and smokier. In the interpretation of the vetiver note, I think it may be closer (except for the smokiness) to Vétiver Extraordinaire [or do I mean French Lover (Bois d'Orage)?].

In the end, I got Sycomore, and am thinking that Bel Respiro is a bit too powdery in the drydown for me, although I really love the first green rush and the florals that follow. It looks like that one may not make it into my collection, despite all its good qualities.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 29th March 2008 at 05:22 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Yes. I went into the Chanel boutique this morning and smelled it. For a while, I equivocated and tried to see if I preferred Bel Respiro. Giving Sycomore a bit of time, however, I started to perceive the smokiness that pushes out after the first 10–15 minutes, and then the pink peppercorn note. Then the real vetiver note comes out. The cypress, sandalwood, and juniper don't come across much on my skin. It doesn't seem to resemble Encre Noir all that much to me. I think the Sycomore is drier and smokier. In the interpretation of the vetiver note, I think it may be closer (except for the smokiness) to Vétiver Extraordinaire.

In the end, I got Sycomore, and am thinking that Bel Respiro is a bit too powdery in the drydown for me, although I really love the first green rush and the florals that follow. It looks like that one may not make it into my collection, despite all its good qualities.
    Thanks for your kind insights, I really appreciate it.
    I'm glad you liked it. I will try and get a sample now.

Regards

Thanks Jaime for the review.

I also went in and had a sample. I agree that it is a dry vetiver, but in my case, I did not get much smoke or pepper, and did get a hint of woods and juniper. I felt it was drier than both Encre Noir and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Vetiver-dominant scents never really seem to come alive on my skin (although it works great in a base), so I am probably not the best person to review this one. I was hoping this would be The Vetiver for me, but alas, no.

If I purchase another exclusif, it will most likely be Bois des Iles.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Thanks Jaime for the review.

I also went in and had a sample. I agree that it is a dry vetiver, but in my case, I did not get much smoke or pepper, and did get a hint of woods and juniper. I felt it was drier than both Encre Noir and Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Vetiver-dominant scents never really seem to come alive on my skin (although it works great in a base), so I am probably not the best person to review this one. I was hoping this would be The Vetiver for me, but alas, no.

If I purchase another exclusif, it will most likely be Bois des Iles.
    Bois des Îles is indeed an excellent choice!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Well I rang shops in London (Chanel at Harrods) and Tokyo (Mitsukoshi) and they have no information on release dates. I wonder how I am going to get a tiny shop sample of this?
    Last edited by jason_newton; 29th March 2008 at 12:12 PM.

For anyone interested in ordering Sycomore, please contact this wonderful SA (I have no affiliation, just have had great service) Stacey Yokoyana at the Chanel boutique in NYC. Her contact number is (212) 355-5050 & this is the 57th Street address you'll be calling. Please tell her that Christine from Sniffapalooza Magazine & basenotes referred you. I've already spoken to her, so she knows she might received some calls. She promised to take care of you for me.
    Current Favorites: #5 edt, #19 edt & parfum - Chanel, FRACAS - Robert Piguet, A Taste of Heaven - By Killian, Apres L'Ondee- Guerlain, LUX & Carnation - Mona di Orio, Une Rose - Frederick Malle, Kiki - Vero Kern, Bois de Violette & Sarrasins - Serge Lutens

Banned

I just received my bottle of Sycomore today.

I have never seen the packaging for the Les Exclusifs so I was very surprised by the size overall. It is in line with the style of the packaging for No. 5 and the line of feminine fragrances... No platinum packaging here The cap has magnets also, a cool touch that I first saw in David Beckham's Instinct. I could spend some time pulling the cap on and off.

From reading this thread I expected it to be very dry... like suck the moisture out of the room dry.

The vetiver note instantly reminded me of Vétiver Extraordinaire. It's dry and reminds me of the smell of money. The smokiness I get smells nothing like sandalwood, so I think this is cypress I'm smelling? The pink peppercorn lends an airiness to Sycomore that I also find in Noir Epices which makes my mouth water. To my nose there isn't much sandalwood & juniper in the mix...

I'm glad to say it doesn't meet the expectations I had from reading this thread. If you enjoy Vetiver Extraordinaire I think you will also enjoy Sycomore very much.

Today my bottle of SYCOMORE arrived from Moscow (with a cute coffret of 11 exclusive minis).
    So I decided to write some words about it.
    The bottle and package are the very same as previous Exclusives.
    The color of juice has more dark shade than previous light juices.
    To perfume.
    I should tell you - I love vetiver, so my review would be only positive. As I never expected from black-n-white CHANEL any brown-n-green takes of vetiver, I`m fall in love immediately. Thank you, Mr Jacques Polge!
    I have no idea - how this cologne is related with those Sycomore that was launched in 30 or 40-s of XX century as I never tried the vintage version.

Initial smell is reminding Encre Noire by wet dark impression of Vetiver and some salty ambery wood that reminds me of Ambroxan (I happen to have both and happen to mix it just for the fun to wear). It smells like Vetiver Liqueur - wet and sweet, woody and boozy. I think that such a Liqueur never existed, but should be. I tasted some vetiver sweet syrup in India (they mix it with cold water and served with ice) - nice and simple thing!
    Here vetiver is brown - no citrus or green accents.
    A little spicy part is accentuated though - by anice or something anisic, I suppose.
    So I found SYCOMORE more in vein of Sel de Vetiver TDC than in vein of Vetiver Extraordinaire FMalle or Guerlain. And anisic part is like in Vetiver Wilde by Grandiflorum, but has done much more refined taste. VW is the scent more biting with anise and other things.
    Then some woody smoky powdery notes rounding the scent - like some guaiac wood and/or frankincense - but with some bitter small thing that smell a bit animalic.
    It is the scent that one could pour on him/herself and would never been overpowered. It is cologne - and again one could wish for extrait-perfume of this scent to be made
    Sycomore is very understated thing, reminding the scent of some Ebenisterie Parisienne with all those wooden tables and chests brought from Africa and Asia and restored, with vetiver-plaited fans and screens (well, I was in one of those cabinet-maker shops)...

And I found only a little similarity with Vetiver Extraordinaire - and more similarity with French Lover. Just my two cents.

PS (By the way you could make vetiver drink yourself for HOT summer days. Just drop two-three drops in sugar syrup and add cold water. Indians believe that vetiver oil helps to goes through hot hours of summer days)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

How much does this stuff cost in the states or Canada? I never seen the price an exclusive in person and this sounds great. If I did buy, I would have to get it shipped somehow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    How much does this stuff cost in the states or Canada? I never seen the price an exclusive in person and this sounds great. If I did buy, I would have to get it shipped somehow.
    The cost is $190 USD + shipping. Not that bad considering the amount of juice you get...

Sycomore is a major disappointment for me. Just not much going on that says buy me. I like Chanel as a house very much . I wear Egoiste Concentree and Coromandel which are both long lasting and good strength. Sycomore is short lived and weak. If I were to purchase a vetiver, it would by Vetiver by Lubin

Tried it out this weekend and the previous reviews are spot on. It is IMO VERY similar to Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Immediately starts with a very green dry vetiver, then a smoky almost bushfire note rises for 10 or more minutes, with a warm and slightly sweet cedar. It then reverts back to the dry earthy vetiver. After several hours it takes on a marijuana note.

It's not bad, but not in the same league as Coromandel, the best of Les Exclusif. I own VE, so there's no point in owning this. It is however better value than VE.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I'm giving it a try today. It really reminds me of Guerlain's Vetiver . I find it extremely linear, with very little development. I get persistent grapefruit and juniper notes. It shares qualities with Lalique's Equus.
    Tons of sillage and long lasting, on me at least.
    Do I need it? Not urgently.
    Somehow, it comes off as artificial.

I am wearing Sycomore today.
    I think it is more complex than Guerlain Vetiver or Lubin Vetiver. I have a small bottle of the Guerlain and a sample of the Lubin. Both are very nice, but I am loving this one.
    The Guerlain turns very sweet on me on the drydown, and somehow it reminds me of the 1991 Vent Vert.

Tomorrow I will try Sycomore with Guerlain Vetiver side by side and I will report.

By the way, I am new in this board.

My favorite perfumes (right now) are: Bel Respiro, Chanel #19, Chanel #22, Guerlain L"Heure Bleue, Passage d'Enfer, Eau d'Oolong, Egoiste, Nu, Bois Encens

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm giving it a try today. It really reminds me of Guerlain's Vetiver . I find it extremely linear, with very little development. I get persistent grapefruit and juniper notes. It shares qualities with Lalique's Equus.
    Tons of sillage and long lasting, on me at least.
    Do I need it? Not urgently.
    Somehow, it comes off as artificial.
    Aldehydes, Ruggles?

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I am wearing Sycomore today.
    I think it is more complex than Guerlain Vetiver or Lubin Vetiver. I have a small bottle of the Guerlain and a sample of the Lubin. Both are very nice, but I am loving this one.
    The Guerlain turns very sweet on me on the drydown, and somehow it reminds me of the 1991 Vent Vert.

Tomorrow I will try Sycomore with Guerlain Vetiver side by side and I will report.

By the way, I am new in this board.

My favorite perfumes (right now) are: Bel Respiro, Chanel #19, Chanel #22, Guerlain L"Heure Bleue, Passage d'Enfer, Eau d'Oolong, Egoiste, Nu, Bois Encens
    Welcome to Basenotes arwen_elf - I see you like your Chanel, don't you?

I see you're comparing it to other Vetiver scents. How would you compare it to Encre Noir by Lalique (which I felt kind of bland towards personally)?

I was sooo disappointed to hear that Sycamore was in fact a vetiver scent...I'm just not a vetiver person.

I don't even know why I'm posting here...I guess I felt left out.

Long live No. 18!!!!:toppie:

Basenotes Institution

I forgot to mention that Sycomore is also being sold at Bergdorf Goodman and select Saks stores, in addition to the Chanel boutiques. Tip!

Thank you for the warm welcome

I have not tried Encre Noir. I want to. Is it a Lalique? It received a good review from Luca Turin on the guide. I did not even know it was a Vetiver. I guess I focused on the obvious ones. Time to go to South Coast Plaza or Beverly Hills.

Sycomore is a great frag - I got a 2.5mL Perfumed court decant today! Woody-creamy goodness.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome

I have not tried Encre Noir. I want to. Is it a Lalique?
    Yes, Lalique's newest fragrance for men. It seems to have disappeared from a lot of department store shelves (Neimans and Bloomingdales stopped carrying it), but it is still very much available.

Oh and just in case you're looking for it, I'm talking about the regular EdT strength not the limited edition EdP which is in this numbered Lalique bottle and is over $400 or some godawful amount of $.

I'm so glad this one got released, i remember talking about long lost chanel frags a while ago and mentioned this one along with some others and the other lost prototypes and other No.XX frags they sold for limited times.
    Yes there seems to be a wide perception that the new Sycomore is more of a man's scent than a woman's (but who cares right?) . The older one was much more of what a conventional woman's scent was supposed to be like but with an added boost on the woods which made it a tad avant for its time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes, Lalique's newest fragrance for men. It seems to have disappeared from a lot of department store shelves (Neimans and Bloomingdales stopped carrying it), but it is still very much available.

Oh and just in case you're looking for it, I'm talking about the regular EdT strength not the limited edition EdP which is in this numbered Lalique bottle and is over $400 or some godawful amount of $.

Yes, I will have to try it, but for what I've read, Encre Noir may be a darker fragrance than Sycomore. Sycomore seems very sparkling to me. I tried Sycomore and made side by side comparisons with Guerllain, Givenchy and Lubin vetivers. Sycomore is closer to Givenchy's but brighter.

or some godawful amount of $.
    Correct. $700+!

I like it, it´s great!! Very similar to "Encre Noire", like a "Encre brune" variation, the woods are smokier and woodier, if that makes sense....

But read these fantastic reviews:

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...re-chanel.html

http://perfumesmellinthings.blogspot...ncre-noir.html

BTW, in french it´s called "Encre Noire" not "Encre Noir". "Encre" means ink, and ink is female in french.
    Last edited by sables; 29th April 2008 at 09:34 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this tonight for the 1st time (thanks Neoty26). It's a beauty. Smoky, nutty vetiver - incredibly smooth with a faint grayish sulfurous effect on my nose. I smell like one of those old, amber-filtered photographs you see in your grandparents house. Vetiver from the 1920's, if that makes sense.

I will give this another full wearing soon - but for now, I love it!

Wearing this tonight for the 1st time (thanks Neoty26). It's a beauty. Smoky, nutty vetiver - incredibly smooth with a faint grayish sulfurous effect on my nose. I smell like one of those old, amber-filtered photographs you see in your grandparents house. Vetiver from the 1920's, if that makes sense.

I will give this another full wearing soon - but for now, I love it!
    I'm surprised that such a vetiver loving ground of people don't give Sycomore more mention. It's a damp earthy vetiver...I love my decant.

Oh yes!
    Yesterday I remind myself about the beauty of Sycomore.
    Juniper, cedarwood, vetiver and something liqueur-like.
    Great thing for evening relax after work
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

I really have fallen head over heels for this one folks. It's persistent slight whiffs of sillage I keep smelling all day, remind me of the wearability and diffusion of a Guerlain.

In the EdC formula of Vetiver by Guerlain (the vintage one) there is a slight smell of 'wine barrel' that I always detect - like one would smell sipping a white wine. That same salty, aged wood accord is very present in Sycomore. But instead of hitting you over the head with it and staying linear (like Route du Vetiver does), it flashes here and there in Sycomore and then shifts around with the vetiver and pink peppercorn. The evolution and trajectory of this scent is just beautiful.

THANK YOU SO MUCH to NeoTY26 for introducing this to me. I can see going thru my decant of this very quickly.

Sycomore, folks, is IMO the Best Masculine released in 2008. Hands down.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th January 2009 at 05:44 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sycomore is indeed an awesome vetiver scent, but I still prefer encre noir. One technicallity though: This is not an offical thread. I am pretty sure Chanel® never gave permision to the OP to post and talk about their scent.
    Last edited by irish; 12th January 2009 at 06:14 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I'm wearing Sycomore right now and it does strike me as a drier, "sparklier" Vetiver somewhere between the grainy, hyper-real, drier-than-dry vetiver of Givenchy's Vetiver and Encre Noire. It's gorgeous stuff. I'm not getting any flowers or citrus or anything like that. This is a manly, smoky smell and I'm really looking forward to wearing it on my trip to NYC this weekend.

Thanks, Mike Perez for turning me on to this one!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    I'm wearing Sycomore right now and it does strike me as a drier, "sparklier" Vetiver somewhere between the grainy, hyper-real, drier-than-dry vetiver of Givenchy's Vetiver and Encre Noire. It's gorgeous stuff. I'm not getting any flowers or citrus or anything like that. This is a manly, smoky smell and I'm really looking forward to wearing it on my trip to NYC this weekend.

Thanks, Mike Perez for turning me on to this one!
    I wore Sycomore last night for the first time. Thanks MikePerez23!! You are awesome.

I am not quite sure what to think about this one. I unfortunately am getting the same vibe I got from Frederic Malle VE and the first hour of Encre Noire: Sour Towel Syndrome. I smell like I dried off with a towel that was no longer fresh. I sold Encre Noire and VE for this reason alone and it hit me in the face also last night. I also don't get the similarities to Givenchy Vetyver. Sycomore is so smokey and has a burnt vibe, that is not found in GV. I find Sycomore very close to Encre Noire and VE, which is good company, but unfortunately, these are not the vetiver frags that work on me. I perhaps need more sweetness to temper things, hence my love of Givenchy Vetyver, Montale Red Vetyver, Absinth - Nasomatto, and Vettiveru.

If smoke, and more wood was my thing then I would own a bottle of it for sure.

I've been sampling Sycomore lately myself (Also thanks Mike P!)

It does remind me somewhat of Encre Noire and Vettiveru, but I like it better I think. I picked up on the cypress note right away. It makes me think of the dry, smoky uplifting feel of Hinoki-- but with a lot of vetiver. Good stuff!

"Sour Towel Syndrome"? Wow. That's incredibly evocative, and thankfully, nothing I've ever noticed wafting up from my skin when wearing any of the vetiver scents you've mentioned.

I am loving this Sycomore. I juuuust squirted the last of my Encre Noire into a sample vial for Mike Perez to try one more time, since he's been so underwhelmed by it, but I don't think I'll be missing it much while I have Sycomore to keep me company.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    "Sour Towel Syndrome"? Wow. That's incredibly evocative, and thankfully, nothing I've ever noticed wafting up from my skin when wearing any of the vetiver scents you've mentioned.

I am loving this Sycomore. I juuuust squirted the last of my Encre Noire into a sample vial for Mike Perez to try one more time, since he's been so underwhelmed by it, but I don't think I'll be missing it much while I have Sycomore to keep me company.
    PM your addy and I will send you my samples to your home. Please?

Basenotes Institution

Nice to see that everybody got the samples of the Sycomore and that you all are having wildly different reactions to them.

I, like T. Rex. do not not (thank God) experience any 'sour towel' notes from Sycomore. I know exactly the smell you're describing jock_with_scents. There's a sharp, almost tannic fumes like quality to certain vetiver scents. I love this element, so of course it really enhances my affection for Sycomore. I also smell it also in Fumidus (which I am wearing as I type this), so steer clear of this one too j_w_s.

I think the wondrous facet of this scent is it's ability to morph and evolve for hours on your skin. Grassy, dirty, nutty, tannic, salty, citrus, back-and-forth. Fascinating!

I am so sad that my skin does this to certain notes. It is my chemistry I guess.
    I was so ready to love this one. Wimpy vetiver man...that is me.

not feeling this fragrance
    Last edited by md1grwl; 24th August 2010 at 12:17 AM.

Banned

I am fan of vetyver frags, i own timbuktu, and in my opinion sycomore is the best for all les exclusifs, because it has some very natural and calming effect on my nerves:-) whenever i put it on, be it winter or summer, its allways so wearable!! Natural, neutral as well but distinctive, so e perfect combination of notes that i can wear it all my life. Rarely you can find a parfume that just sits with you so well, and not start beeing annoying over time. 6stars from me:-) out of 5

Simply a wonderful fragrance IMO.

I love this fragrance as well... but god, on my skin it has really mediocre longevity, 3-4 hours max and then nothing. Truly disappointing. It's so poor that I don't think I will purchase this in the future once this bottle is gone.

Does anyone else have this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I love this fragrance as well... but god, on my skin it has really mediocre longevity, 3-4 hours max and then nothing. Truly disappointing. It's so poor that I don't think I will purchase this in the future once this bottle is gone.

Does anyone else have this experience?
    I've heard others complain similarly. Luckily for me, I get a full day's wear.

Sycomore is amazing!