Code of Conduct

Default Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger is seriously underrated

I know this was extremely ubiquitous back in the day and as such suffered some backlash due to it. Revisiting it though I think it's a wonderful scent. Even if you think you haven't smelled it like myself (wasn't popular in my area) you will immediately recognise it.

I've learned it's another Alberto Morillas creation...this guy seems to have a knack for creating scents that garner lots of compliments. This to me is like Cool Water. Everyone is familiar with it but it's just a universally pleasing smell that people just love.

Any other fans?

Default Re: Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger is seriously underrated

I'm a fan. I think this is one of the best casual designer frags out there. Not cloying either, so you can spray more than usual. This is the type of fragrance great for a casual outing (e.g. going to the super market).

This stuff has sold a ton of bottles, so I wouldn't call it under rated. In my opinion it's better than Boss Bottled. Tommy is spicy baked apples with a dry sheet cleaness to it. The only negative is it doesn't last or project as well as it could. I believe because it's an EdC.

Most of these fragrances are typically great for everyday occasions. I think we sometimes forget here on the forums that scent doesn't need to smell like money for it to be appealing.

Y'know... this one has been on my list of scents that I need to revisit. I used to wear it occasionally back in the late 90s. IF, by underrated, you mean here on basenotes, I'd agree. I bet most of us make the mistake of writing it off based on memories from a decade ago.

This was one of my favourites in the late 90's - in my top 2 or 3 back then (pre 'hobby' days). I think I got through two full 100ml bottles of it. I revisited it recently and it brought back good memories. No doubt it's a pleasant scent, if somewhat simple. I'll have another spritz next time I get the opportunity.

This was my "signature" scent during my very early teens! Not because I particularly liked it, but because it was the only one I owned!

I guess I fall in the minority here as I find it quite unappealing.

I (along with every other guy) wore it back when I was a teen. In fact, my dad used to spray some Tommy Hilfiger on me before I'd go on a date with a girl. It always reminds me of first dates.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Most of these fragrances are typically great for everyday occasions. I think we sometimes forget here on the forums that scent doesn't need to smell like money for it to be appealing.
    Doesnt need to cost more than a hundred bucks or be under limited distribution either. Isnt frag snobbery just bigotry bottled? Anyway thanks for bringing this up, I think its kinda brave to bring up such an ubiquitous designer frag. Back in the day when it was popular I didnt have the means to join the fray, this might be a good time to enjoy it. Starting to think now if i bite the bullet and purchase it'd be ironic how this can get more wears out of my SLs or something

It's main problem is that its a skin scent, it is too weak and watery. They should create "Tommy Extreme" and go full on Gourmand with it, the apple, cinnamon and cactus notes would make quite a good Gourmand I think.

It's only good for about three hours on me.
    Regards,
    Renato

It is a great smelling cologne. For several years it was my signature -- which I shared with about a hundred thousand other late teen boys.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I always liked this one. Longevity/projection could be better though.

In regards to it's longevity I have the EDC strength. I wasn't even aware an EDT existed until today so I wonder how that fares.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    How funny that you'd mention that! You're right. In fact, 'money' can be a turn off to some people. Or maybe I should say that being obvious about money can be a turn off. I had a date Friday night compliment how I smelled (though her compliment was mild. She said I smelled 'nice'). We started talking about scents and once I realized she had a genuine interest in them, I decided to test a few from my collection on her.

Of Aventus, she said quote "This smells like money. It makes me think of the guys from the club where I worked last year. They'd smell like this." She worked at a very expensive athletic club, and the comment wasn't a good thing. She was referring to country club douchebag type guys. I was shocked by the comment since, to me, Aventus smells young (the pineapple). She said it smelled like a guy in his 50s who's trying to flaunt his cash.

Money is an interesting thing. We all want it, but flaunting it can be a turn off. Some scents can smell too much like money.

I'm a big believer that a scent doesn't need to smell expensive. It just needs to smell great. Of course, great is subjective...

I had a boss who wore this well (in addition to Z-14). Hard to believe he's gone now. He helped me get my start as a CEO. I had Tommy, but my wife nor I ever cared much for it. I wanted to like it, but just like Cool Water and Allure Homme, it did not click on my skin. That's OK, because a lot of other scents do!

Dependent

I think its nice but projection and longevity is really an issue here. Unless I carry an atomizer and keep reapplying
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I think it pretty much just smells "clean". And I can smell clean for free by taking a shower.

Tommy is still one my favorite colognes. I keep a bottle of it on the shelf.

Gotta revive this thread. Tommy is my SOTD and I almost forgot how much I truly like this fragrance. It was gathering dust in my collection. I love the apple note and the overall smell is nice. All my niche frags eclipsed my designer ones and made me forget to realize how much I liked some of them.

Will definitely try to wear this fragrance more often. A cheapie too, 30 ml goes for around 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I bought this during the 90's and I didn't like it either.

I enjoy Tommy, but since recently discovering Light blue Living Stromboli, it has replaced it, as it has better longevity and smells fresher. They smell very similar to one another, but the Tommy smells "stale" compared to Living Stromboli.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I really do love this and Lacoste Essential. Both have a freshness that I love for casual days. You can spray a ton too.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I wore this stuff many years ago and liked it. I actually just bout a bottle about a month ago and wore it - I wasn't sure what to expect since I had forgotten what it smelled like. I liked it quite a bit actually, and am glad I bought it. Nice scent.

Great to see some love for this scent! I feel this got forgotten and left behind unlike the other two huge hits of the nineties (CK One, ADG) funnily enough they were all created by Morillas.

It's ok.

Basenotes Junkie

Used to wear it back in the late 90s'. Hadn't had a bottle for 10+ years and my mother in law, without me asking for it, bought me a 30ml bottle for x-mas last year(2012). I really enjoyed smelling this again, I forgot how pleasant and likable this is. Might even buy a 3.4oz bottle when it runs out to wear this spring/summer as an everyday work scent.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You are NOT alone. Rotten fruit and bugspray. UGH! Tragic.

Rotten fruit and bugspray? Man, is my nose different. I have a bottle that must be at least fifteen years old in my closet, and spritzed a few sprays on a few days ago. What a pleasant little scent that can be had for a song. Even after all of the complex scents I've tried in the last few years, Tommy has kept its charm.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Hey I used to wear this in the 1990s. It's alright.

Btw if you think this is nice, wait till you try Tommy Girl.

Expected a generic fragrance and in fact, it turned out to be a quite pleasant, light and refreshing summer scent.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    A cheapie too, 30 ml goes for around 20 bucks.
    To me, that's relatively expensive - moreso when one considers that it doesn't last with strength for very long on quite a few people.
    Regards,
    Renato

I will always have this in my collection. I love this stuff during the summer.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes