Code of Conduct

Thread: Marni by Marni

Basenotes Institution

Default Marni by Marni

Has anyone smelled this yet?

Notes (according to Now Smell This) are: Bergamot, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, pink pepper, rose, incense, vetiver, cedar and patchouli.

Perfumer is Daniela Andrier (!) who is the knocking them out of the ballpark at Prada (Candy and Infusion d'Iris Absolue were both fantastic!)

Saks already has it on their website.

Even the packaging is adorable (except for that evil looking doll figurine!!?)

Can't wait to smell this. Sounds like a sheer oriental and also sounds very unisex.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Marni by Marni

Have to stop in Saks and check it out.

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else try it?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member

I've just spritzed some on my hand and I agree: it's quite nice and definitely unisex as far as I'm concerned (more than Dzing!, for instance, which I find eminently feminine).
    It seems to be lacking a bit of projection, but that might be due to my hand being very cold right now; will have to try again on my chest so I can properly compare with my usual fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

Is it spicy?

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member

Yes, there is a very pleasant hint of spiciness and what seemed like a patchouli-ish drydown, but I can't be entirely sure about this because I was also wearing AdP Colonia Essenza, which features that very type of drydown...
    As for the spiciness, it made me think of nutmeg and black pepper, but I'm not an expert at the note-picking game so YMMV =)

I recently tried it in KaDeWe in Berlin and I was honestly not impressed. The opening is a well done but pretty average woody-spicy oriental with transparent facets. The drydown is just YAAAWWWWNNNNN in its typical iteration of the mainstreamish masculine woody-vetiver base. Not completely bad but I honestly don't see myself owning a bottle...

Bottles are really nice though...expecially the tall, cylindrical ones IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Institution

Like many of Andrier scents, I usually have to sample them several times (and over apply) before I can 'get' them. So I'm hoping I have a different experience than alfarom above.

I gotta see if the department stores here have it yet...I hardly ever go to Nordstrom's.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hmmm...I see what you mean but IMO it's far away from, say, Infusion D'Iris or Untitled (which I'm still not a fan of but it does GREAT on a girlfriend of mine). Not to talk about Gucci Eau de Parfum. I will surely give it more chances but, so far, while being well done, I've found it somewhat forgettable...

BTW, you just reminded me I'll have (sooner or later) splurge on a bottle of the Prada

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Too bad I don't live near a Saks or Nords! I wouldn't mind giving it a sniff.

southerngardens
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Basenotes Member

OK, I'll have to agree it's not a miracle perfume - but I will say this: it's a wonderful scent to sleep by. A spray on the wrist right before bed - I dare you say it's less than delectable.

I picked up the purse spray a few weeks ago, and I quite enjoy it. Sillage is close, and I do have to reapply after about 6 hours. On me, this is spicy and woody with greenish top notes. I will probably end up getting a larger bottle. The purse spray is a refillable bottle.

Spacious, summery, rosey and with a sort of weird incensey/marine spicy (really spicy) accord so realistic, slightly musky/cedary and sensual. Reminds me vaguely a blend of Rose Muskissime MPeG and Caleche Eau Delicate Hermes. Well made and pleasant.

Basenotes Plus

For me, a sample was plenty. It is definitely spicy, but don't let that mislead you. It smells of only one spice on my skin, pepper.....straight up, freshly ground black pepper.

Interesting, but not FBW.

Basenotes Institution

Gosh I can't wait to try this, everyone has interesting things to say about it. I didn't realize it was so rose prominent until I read several online reviews.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I read all the rave reviews on Marni,but I am very conscious about it. I live far away from Saks/Nord and I just ordered Narciso Rodriquez EDT because of the rave reviews and honestly,I am not too impressed. It is supposed to be this divine woodsy musky Oriental, but to me smells like men shaving cream, I swear. On the other hand,I received a sample of Kate Spade's Live Colorfully with it and I adored it, so I ordered this one too/smells like Jasmine and Lilies/.I am worried not to get disappointed with Marni ,if I decide to order this,because it seems to get a lots of publicity and buzz,just like Narciso Rodriquez EDT and I did not like this one at all. I am Bulgarian and I should love roses in perfumes,but I really don't. I hated Lola by Marc Jacobs and any rose based fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Teochasse View Post
    I read all the rave reviews on Marni,but I am very conscious about it. I live far away from Saks/Nord and I just ordered Narciso Rodriquez EDT because of the rave reviews and honestly,I am not too impressed. It is supposed to be this divine woodsy musky Oriental, but to me smells like men shaving cream, I swear. On the other hand,I received a sample of Kate Spade's Live Colorfully with it and I adored it, so I ordered this one too/smells like Jasmine and Lilies/.I am worried not to get disappointed with Marni ,if I decide to order this,because it seems to get a lots of publicity and buzz,just like Narciso Rodriquez EDT and I did not like this one at all. I am Bulgarian and I should love roses in perfumes,but I really don't. I hated Lola by Marc Jacobs and any rose based fragrances.
    Hi Teochasse, welcome to Basenotes! It's always best to try perfume on your skin before committing to a full bottle. Check out Surrender to Chance or The Perfumed Court to get a sample of Marni, then you can try it 6 or 7 times before buying. I know what it's like to be without a good perfume stores in your area, where I live the nearest big perfume store is 90 miles away and their selection is still poor. I usually resort to decants and they are a great way to try several perfumes out. Luckyscent is also a great place for samples, but they don't have Marni, at least
    I don't think so.

Basenotes Institution

Sampled it again at Nordstrom's today

I'm reminded a lot of a scent that I smelled a while ago when I was doing a Blind Sample swap. I believe it is my Profumo.it you know the brand that does Mecca Balsalm and Tawaf. It was a cinnamon/rose scent also. It stuck in my brain and smelling the Marnin my arm today that olfactory memory was revived. It's a wonderful combination. I cannot remember the name of the scent (I'll have to search thru some old BN threads).

There's also a whiff of this same accord, briefly, in L'Eau by Diptyque but that one is much more intensely spicy and the Marni is gentler, softer....a bit more wearable for lack of a better word.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle