Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: NEW from Frdric Malle, "Dries Van Noten par Frdric Malle"

I got a sample lately . Nice fragrance but the big dose of vanilla killed it for me. Not a big vanilla fan. Please sample before you buy. It is sweet also .

I'd like to reiterate my opinion that I find this a nice fragrance. Unfortunately nice doesn't cut it when it comes to Frederic Malle so that is where it falls (incredibly) short.

If the so-called Speculoos note was stronger perhaps I would have been more enamoured with it. Seems like a bit of a waste of Mysore Sandalwood too.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
    If the so-called Speculoos note was stronger perhaps I would have been more enamoured with it. Seems like a bit of a waste of Mysore Sandalwood too.
    Just seek out Le Speculoos by L'Antichambre if that is what you are looking for...

The Dries Van Noten release was indeed "nice" but that is about all it was for me as well.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
    ... Seems like a bit of a waste of Mysore Sandalwood too.
    I'm inclined to agree.
    A fair amount was made over the fact that it contained Santalum album, leading me at least to expect a sandalwood prominent scent. I kinda think a synthetic (like Santaliff) would have sufficed.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Just seek out Le Speculoos by L'Antichambre if that is what you are looking for...
    I'm not specifically craving that scent - I just think that perhaps it would have made it a more interesting fragrance if it was more prominent.

- - - Updated - - -

So I wore my sample from Les Senteurs again today, inspired in part by this thread.

I don't know if it's because of the terrible weather we've been having in London but in the space of 24 hours I've done a rather shocking and embarrassing volte-face on it. I am getting that caramelised biscuit accord wafting up from my wrist now and it is beautiful! I am trying my best not to be drawn in to this fragrance but it appears to have captivated me today. Resisting the temptation to purchase!

I probably should try out L'Antichambre's Le Speculoos before I make a decision on it.

Basenotes Institution

Since we are on the topic of 'new' scents that supposedly have Mysore Sandalwood in them, didn't I read somewhere that the latest IUNX release (from Olivia Giacobetti) also has it? I think the name is L' Arbre
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Ok sprayed this on this past weekend at Barneys and at first it had a nose burn thing going on but was still very milky. After maybe 5 minutes I really had a strong vibe that I smelled it before and after awhile I figured it out. Smelled much like the milkiness in one of the Bond no 9 new york ones maybe new york for all?

It smells nicer than the bond not sure what else is going on with it but it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the Malle line, which it's probably not supposed to.

Interesting smell for sure but doesn't really make me want to wear it. I smell some cookies maybe, vanilla, it leans sweet sometimes but then I smell a tiny wood and definitely something smooth and milky or creamy kind of like the smell you get in the back of your throat after some carmel cream drink for just a second.

This one is hard for me to wrap my nose around and I have spent 2 days with it. It will be interesting to see some reviews from some good noses.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had another scent memory kick in and I found an old bottle of my one of my wifes scents it's "Givenchy Organza Indecence" very shimmering sparkly lotion but it smells very much like this about an hour into the drydown right now.

I have some on the back of each hand and it's VERY close atm, more milky on the Malle hand but close.
    Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.

Today I did the second test, has a very tough note that bothers me, it's spicy, which is behind the sandalwood and vanilla cookies, I do not know if the saffron or cloves, but I smell it closely burning produces a small nose, something that does not happen with any Malle I've tried.
    In the opening seems like Pardon by Nasomatto.
    I think it has a high price.

Banned

I absolutely loved it at first sniff:-)

I have never tried real sandalwood note, real Indian sandalwood, but was trying to imagine how it would smell like, the way it smells in Samsara dry down is gorgeous, sweet, creamy, it is very long lasting but to compare with a colour, sandalwood is ivory colour its not purple or black, so may seem like gentle transparent , or weak note, one only has to get used to it , it is constantly there, that is the most beautiful characteristic of a note to me. And this perfume is really successful recreation of sandalwood, without any metallic note , that many modern perfumes have, the opening is absolutely stunning, the drydown is still creamy sweet sandalwood but going more into woody powdery note, with little bit of spice, that is how i think real sandalwood smells like....and in Samsara it is very feminine, here it is unisex....

I think this is one of their best perfumes, very rich and elegant!

At moments i think i smell patchouli...and this spicy thing may be clove or saffron, maybe its saffron ( i ve smelled too many saffron notes today many of which smell very synthetic) But these are both such low notes that you can not notice them, this is really blended to perfection
    Last edited by iivanita; 19th April 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Banned

i need to add after wearing it several times....it leans more on the masculine side to me , amazingly! becasue first time i smelled it i was sure men would not love it , and it leans more to feminine, but i was wrong!

It has big aura!! and longevity! so it is gentle but very very noticable, which i think is a plus, men finally got their Samsara, its woody, some "smokey" dry powdery note almost like sweetened leather iris note?..i smell some vanilla note there but not feminine...when i wear it i constantly think i am wearing masculine perfume...can not explain where it comes from. some smokey note but it is radiating from the skin like a smoke of woody notes lol...and must say this smell fits to this designer from what i have seen and the looks of the bottle. i think this is worth having ...if i were a man.....very good take on sandalwood note from modern perfumery - cashmere sandalwood! yes that sums it up.....bear note + some blond woods too....

its very linear....stays the same from the begining to the end...
    Last edited by iivanita; 6th May 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I still haven't smelled this one. Sounds like something I will like.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Well worth a shot, Mike. It took me a while to 'get it', and altho sandalwood is a component it's not an obvious one, but ultimately a very satisfying piece of work. There's a certain 'sour' note early on that hovers a bit and has clearly scared some people off. I don't know if it's the bergamot bouncing off the woods or what, but I do recall Malle saying that they opted to add some bergamot up front to give it a kick - it's unusual but like some older, more complex scents, it can seem to take a few minutes to tuck its shirt in and straighten its tie sort of thing. I have powered into my bottle, it's slipped into easy fallback comfort mode already, similar to the way I use Vetiver Tonka for travelling - love the thing.