Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default do you like what most people wear?

before i got into fragrances, i never took note of what people wore. but now i'm more alert because i'm curious on what people are wearing. i'm usually not able to guess for sure what theyre wearing. but i dont make comments to people about what they wear.

warning: this is all firsthand observation - not fact

but overall, i've noticed that i don't like what most people wear. whether it's women with perfume or guys with cologne. its actually rare that people wear too much, though women seem to go heavier on the trigger. from what ive noticed, probably twice as many women wear fragrance than guys. more than half of women do, probably less than half of men do.

as for whether i like it. i usually end up being nuetral on it. i don't very often meet people who are wearing something that impresses me. sometimes i dislike it, but rarely have i been gagging because someone wore something terrible. i like some of the stuff that people wear, but most of its nuetral.

what are your observation?

Default Re: do you like what most people wear?

From my experience (college), I've noticed that more women will wear fragrances and projecting more. I can smell the usual AdG or Fierce on a lot of guys but it's very soft. Because I don't sit down and sniff them to experience the development of their fragrance, I can only say that most people smell pleasant.

I find pleasant most of what other people wear.

It's a range for me. First off, I'd say most people I encounter either don't wear perfume or don't wear enough to project.

Usually when I smell heavy sillage it's on a man, and more often than not I dislike it. There is a fragrance that a lot of men are wearing recently that I do like, but I haven't figured out what it is yet. If I get an opportunity to ask, I will.

When I smell fragrance on women it's usually Coco Mademoiselle or something fresh and fruity/floral that I don't recognize. Rarely I smell something really interesting; I caught Sycomore on a woman a while back, which was good.

I often get a whiff of Tom Ford Black Orchid, too, and I always enjoy that.

Most of the time what people wear is pleasant to me. On a rare occasion I'll dislike what someone is wearing, and on a very rare occasion I will love what someone is wearing. I think I've smelled GIT a couple times in my life; it smelled like Cool Water...but better. More vibrant. So that was cool.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Pleasantly familiar stuff from the ladies. Apart from the occasional cologne guy, hardly anything noticeable from the gents.

As others have said, for the majority of the people I come into contact with, I think they don't wear fragrance, or at least not enough to be noticeable to me. If I do notice it and it's something I really like, I'll usually compliment them/ask what they're wearing. If I notice it and it's something I don't care for as much, I'll probably just acknowledge it as something I wouldn't wear myself but think it's nice that they found something they like. I guess I usually am not bothered by what other people are wearing unless there is way too much of it... at my last job I remember one guy who would come in always drenched in the same aquatic cologne, and I always wanted to push my chair back a few feet from my counter when talking to him. But other than that I think it's kind of interesting to see what people are wearing.

Women, mostly yes (and esp the niche wearing girlfriend). Men, not so much. They all seem to wear the same stuff. It's actually a breath of fresh air around here if someone doesn't a) smell sweet and A*Men-ish (it's probably Lynx a lot) or b) wears what I'm sure they consider some dark and manly silverback alpha stud scent which sucks the air out of the room also. The few times I encounter men that smell good is when they wear something I own, perhaps unsurprisingly so!

Actually, with few exceptions (but simply because in my personal opinion I am not much of a fan of e.g. ADG or Cool Water), certain popular scents are good, with or without their hype. For instance, I happen to like One Million or Creed GIT (to name just two scents) and the fact that they are also bestsellers influences my liking very little or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I find pleasant most of what other people wear.
    Same here. I wish more people would wear fragrance actually. Everyone is too afraid of offending someone it seems.

most ppl wear axe, avons, c-thrus, etc can i say I don't like 'em?

The venue usually dictates what sort of perfumes I'll be smelling.

Thankfully I manage to confine myself to venues of more pleasant perfume sillage.

But I generally do not care what people wear. I'm usually engulfed in a cloud of my own SotD.

for swap/sale:

The venue usually dictates what sort of perfumes I'll be smelling.

Thankfully I manage to confine myself to venues of more pleasant perfume sillage.

But I generally do not care what people wear. I'm usually engulfed in a cloud of my own SotD.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Every opportunity I get to envelope myself into another person's fragrance is a unique opportunity for me to explore, ask questions and become better educated in the subject. Sometimes for the better, seldom for worse. I'm happy that I can appreciate an expansive range of scents from axe to Amouage, etc.

Usually, yes, because I'm just so happy that someone other than me is "projecting." Although, I don't run into too many people who wear perfume. When I do, it's usually a man. Hugged the husband of a dear friend of mine last week and commented on how great he smelled. It was Givenchy Homme. Several months ago, it was my plumber, smelling grand in something by Calvin Klein. I've complimented people who turned out to be wearing everything from Bottega Veneta to Happy. I don't care. I just want the world to smell!

I just want the world to smell!
    I'm inclined to agree with this

Unfortunately, not so much... but only if they have excessive sileage.

Many people use some popular fragrances (which, obviously, a lot of people like) which I personally find too sharp/overwhelming. Some men spray tons of aftershave which results in a headache...

Public transport - you get people who stink of body odor (bad) and people who stink of some strong cheap fragrance. Makes it particularly hard to breath if you happen to get a few of each type in the same train carriage ;-)

Some people, however, wear interesting, soothing or just plain yummy perfumes - then it is a pleasure.

The cons of having a sensitive nose ;-)...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    before i got into fragrances, i never took note of what people wore. but now i'm more alert because i'm curious on what people are wearing. i'm usually not able to guess for sure what theyre wearing. but i dont make comments to people about what they wear.

but overall, i've noticed that i don't like what most people wear. whether it's women with perfume or guys with cologne. its actually rare that people wear too much, though women seem to go heavier on the trigger. from what ive noticed, probably twice as many women wear fragrance than guys. more than half of women do, probably less than half of men do.

as for whether i like it. i usually end up being nuetral on it. i don't very often meet people who are wearing something that impresses me. sometimes i dislike it, but rarely have i been gagging because someone wore something terrible. i like some of the stuff that people wear, but most of its nuetral.

I'm with you on this. I kind of turn my nose up at most of the fragrances that I notice people wearing. Many times I find that they just stink, then I start wondering if that's what people are thinking about whatever fragrance I'm wearing that day.

Sounds like I'm the opposite of many here. I usually do not like the fragrances women around me wear -- too floral or powdery or "perfumey" for me -- but I do tend to like it when I become aware of a man wearing something. I seem to learn toward masculine and unisex scents, and I seem to be the only woman around me wearing them.
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Basenotes Plus

Generally speaking, no. And I smell Eau d'Issey way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I kind of turn my nose up at most of the fragrances that I notice people wearing. Many times I find that they just stink, then I start wondering if that's what people are thinking about whatever fragrance I'm wearing that day.
    Ha ha ha...

I feel the same - some fragrances do stink...

like said by many others, rarely will i really notice a fragrance on someone at work or out in public..and when i do mainly it is on a female and it is something generic floral and powdery...on occasion at work there was this respiratory therapist who used to wear lots of nice colognes but has not for the past year or so(i think someone must have said something to managment because he was trigger happy on the sprays, you would smell him even before he passed you walking by,,like there was a bubble around him,,,its a shame because he had good taste in frags, maybe patients complained that they could not breath(pun intended))...there is 1 other doctor that wears a tea note cologne i cant quite pick out..i think i will ask him next time i see him.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

It smells ok but he smells like him and they smell like them. it's like everyone is wearing the same 8 fragrances. I rarely pass anyone and be like what is he wearing?

If there is a person I like, usually I enjoy whatever fragrance they wear (or maybe we have similar tastes).

If I meet a total stranger or don't get a good vibe from someone, I don't like what they're wearing. This usually happens with Angel or Alien.

My previous boss wore cologne that was also a bubble around him. Even though it's not good practice to be wearing such as a in a hospital, the general consensus was people loved it; and he was an amicable, loveable guy.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I like what women wear more than guys around here. The guys seem to wear a lot of the typical department store stuff.

I have to agree with the comments stating that men in particular all wear the same thing. Calvin Klein, Kenneth Cole, etc. And most of the women's fragrances all smell the same- very hard to distinguish any of them. And to my nose at least, a lot of them smell like bug spray.

I agree that women generally overdo it. Personally i prefer fragrance with lower notes. and i hate the excuse when people say, "strong perfume leaves strong impression about you". And frankly speaking branded perfumes really smell very good. I like almost all the perfumes of Christian Dior.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

Last edited by socalwoman; 23rd March 2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spammy-looking link