Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Rose Barbare

There's very few reviews on this and the ones I've read are quite mixed on this. The notes and description sound wonderful. Honeyed turkish rose? Has me drooling already, especially since I love rose and ESPECIALLY turkish rose. Can anyone who's tried it comment on what they think of it? Think it's time for an updated review of this!

Default Re: Guerlain Rose Barbare

At the top, this is a strongly aldehydic, but nonetheless cool rose. It is in the ballpark of Nahema, if you're familiar with that, but it doesn't have that peachy note that Nahema has. On the whole, I'm not a fan of this one, largely because I find the honey note weighs it down with a heavy sweetness. Often fragrances with advertised honey notes subtly suggest honey, but this really smells like a jar of honey, especially after the opening.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

On paper, this has everything that gets me excited: Guerlain, Francis Kurkdjian, rose! And yet, I still just can't seem to really enjoy this one. I have sampled it several times and each time it just doesn't interest me in the least. You must like aldehydes to enjoy this one, it's very shiny/sharp in the top notes, the aldehydes just sing right out of the trigger giving it a sort of retro-glam feel, but then there's not a lot of interesting stuff happening after that.

It is nothing like some other rose scents that really come alive on my skin (Rose 31, No. 88, Rose Poivree) and it also isn't very Guerlain either. It's also very expensive.

Given the choice, I'd choose another honeyed turkish rose over this in a heartbeat (have you smelled Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens)? If you're stuck on the L'Art et la Matière line, get Bois d'Armenie.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I like the smell of this one, but there are others in the line that have got it beat. By the way - hate the bottles.

Thanks for the reply mikeperez. I always value your opinion and love the description you give of scents Hmm that doesn't sound very promising, aldehydes are something I've yet to fully get into and if this is full of it then it may be a bit challenging. Does it have the Guerlinade accord as it progresses? if not then that is strange, given that this is in the L'art lineup, it should be all things great Guerlain!

The price is also off putting as you said. I'd still like to try this just to create my own stance on it; and nope I have yet to try Sa Majeste la Rose, I'd love to though, hopefully I'll find a sample of it soon. Bois d'Armenie is another Guerlain I'd like to try as I've heard wonderful things about it.

Ya I don't know why theres another thread of this same one. Thanks for the responses guys, so far this kind of seems dull and boring from what has been said.

Basenotes Plus

Not a big fan if Rose Barbare, but do find Rose Nacrée*du Désert is much more my style.

Although Rose-Oud combo is nothing new, there is just something about Rose Nacrée*that separates it from others.

A straightforward rose scent and not much else. Banal and more suited for a woman.

@Canuck21: PM me your address, I'll send you a sample.

I once wrote a review and was lukewarm about it. In fact, I have come to smell it quite a fair bit around me recently. I really like to smell it. It smells fantastic, rosy, slightly spicy, dark, lush. However, if I am in the mood for something like this myself, I'd probably always reach for Rose de Nuit, which is just another league from an artistic point of view IMO. Do sample Rose Barbare! It seems to intrigue you. I'd recommend sampling Rose de Nuit and Lumiere Noire Femme, too.

The combination of 1 spray of Rose Barbare with 4 sprays of Iris Ganache creates a sensual combination that I sometimes wear (because I own both of them) and have been complimented on. When I am in the mood to wear just one or the other, I tend to go for the Iris Ganache. But I sometimes wear the Rose Barbare by itself and do enjoy it.

It's divine.

What appeals to me is how they've taken rose out of context yet placed it a medley that renders it classic and contemporary as if from centuries and not modern yet at the same time it feels abstract but never out of place.

for swap/sale:

Hmm mixed opinions it seems. Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

@JiveHippo, Pm'd

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Thanks for the reply mikeperez. I always value your opinion and love the description you give of scents Hmm that doesn't sound very promising, aldehydes are something I've yet to fully get into and if this is full of it then it may be a bit challenging. Does it have the Guerlinade accord as it progresses? if not then that is strange, given that this is in the L'art lineup, it should be all things great Guerlain!
    You're welcome. It does not have any Guerlinade in it. If I blind sniffed it, I would think it was done by Chanel.

You must try Sa Majeste la Rose. Fantastic rose with a wonderful whiff of honey in it.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

It's a good rose fragrance, it's not outstanding though. I was somewhat surprised the first time I wore it, I was expecting it to be sweeter, but the honey is more of a support. It is soapy/bright (aldehydes) and is actually quiet realistic in terms of a rosey rose. I did find it a bit feminine, but it didn't stop me from wearing it. Unfortunately it just didn't hold up compared to some of my favorites roses so I passed on.

I don't feel I'd wear this considering other rosé offerings. I get aldehydes as well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

It sounds amazing. I will have to add it to my 'must try' list. The only rose in my collection is Rosine's Twill Rose.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

It's very nice.