Code of Conduct

Default Double Post - Very Annoying

I tried posting the Joop Homme Very Sexy In Pink thread. It timed out, and the browser said it couldn't display anything. I checked the Male Fragrance Discussion board on three occasions over 10 minutes, refreshing each time, and this post hadn't shown up. Confident that the post hadn't been posted, I hit the "Submit" button again.

Then both posts showed up! I don't understand what is happening here, as it has happened twice before.

Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 31st January 2013 at 02:47 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Double Post - Very Annoying

The whole site has been all F'd up lately. Ridiculously so.

I noticed that some people's threads are appearing 4 and 5 times. I think because the server was overloaded, the databases weren't getting updated as quickly as they should. I looked at a couple of threads last night, and there were posts showing on the thread that hadn't shown up on the main page.

I think a modicum of patience is called for at the moment and try resist hitting the submit button too often
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I noticed that some people's threads are appearing 4 and 5 times. I think because the server was overloaded, the databases weren't getting updated as quickly as they should. I looked at a couple of threads last night, and there were posts showing on the thread that hadn't shown up on the main page.

I think a modicum of patience is called for at the moment and try resist hitting the submit button too often
    It's all very curious, compounded by my having a internet connection that is lousy around lunch and dinner time, such that all sites don't load well, including Basenotes. I still don't understand though, why Basenotes works well in my early morning hours, when there are a heap more users joined on in the northern hemisphere. I'd have thought the lighter traffic from the southern hemisphere would have made things easier for the servers.

Anyhow, it doesn't really annoy me most of the time, just when I'm trying to fix an error.
    Cheers,
    Renato

The server sucks, time to upgrade or get another one.

I've had this issue a bunch. Times out and then I try and post again. I just ended up figuring out that even if timed out it posts. I'll get a message to "leave the page" too. Some days I can't even get in. Really slow and jacked up.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Forum performance improved for me a couple of days ago, but now it has regressed. The fragrance directory is not accessible at all.

Noggs, I just checked the directory and got in straight away.

The problems seem worse between 6pm -1am UK time when we have Europe, Southern Hemisphere and USA, all battling for server time. At those times, there are a lot of non members reading stuff too, which has a knock on effect for the members.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I've been having lots of problems with double posting too. Time for an upgrade.

I have also been having issues with double posts. I agree, an upgrade is needed.

Clicking once should be sufficient, even if it doesn't show up immediately or takes ages to load.

Worst perfomance ever.

Maybe moving from php/mySQL shareware junk and moving to a full-featured MSSQL back end with a .NET / IIS web platform would certainly help. Time for Basenotes to strap on the big boy pants.

Yeah, there are a lot of simple things administration could do to get this to run smoother, but I have not heard much. I tried to post a thread today and poof, 3 threads appear an hour after I tried posting.

I hate to say it, but it's nice to see that others are having problems too. Thought it was just me/my computer.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Double posts are anoying but the front page now has one thread posted 10 times and another posted 7 times. Time to stop visiting this place for a while until this gets sorted out perhaps.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Im having the same issues around mid day as well. I have a fairly new ipad so i dont think its my or any one else's computer. I dont think i had any double posts but i rarely post anyway, you guys/gals have most of the answers anyway. Lol

I'm experiencing these issues for the past few days as well...may the server is overloaded...not responding on time...every now & then it shows the "leaving the page" warning when I hit the post reply button...its time for upgrade!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Dcampbell

Don't know what your're talking about...........

This has been an on and off problem for over a year now. I've never been a part of a forum that has had this many problems...

The problem goes well beyond double posts. Clearly, the server can't handle the amount of traffic it's receiving. Double posts, double comments, timed out pages when loading. At times, the forum is practically inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    This has been an on and off problem for over a year now. I've never been a part of a forum that has had this many problems...
    Exactly.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

The problem goes well beyond double posts. Clearly, the server can't handle the amount of traffic it's receiving. Double posts, double comments, timed out pages when loading. At times, the forum is practically inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Exactly.

The first page is full of multi posts now. Wish it would occur to people that the system is slow at updating and there is no need to keep bashing submit etc. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to work it out.

Roja Dove

There are at least NINE dupes of the anamalic chocolate thread.

The system isn't slow at updating. The system is failing. It's taking me nearly a full minute to have pages load. I usually open links here in new tabs in hopes they'll have loaded by the time I get around to reading them.

Look at my two duplicate comments above: they're posted a minute apart. Huh? I clicked "Post Quick Reply" once and walked away to get a cup of coffee. I don't know if the issue is the server, the software that runs the forum, or a combination of the two... but... this forum is a mess. It's been a mess for months if not longer and I have to assume it'll continue to be a mess until it experiences a crash with massive data loss, at which point everyone will be screaming bloody murder asking why nothing was done ahead of time to prevent the loss.

Well, today should be that "ahead of time" and attempting to patch thing up to get by for a while longer isn't the answer. There's such a great community here. It's such a shame the server/software/etc is so bad.

There are at least NINE dupes of the anamalic chocolate thread.

The system isn't slow at updating. The system is failing. It's taking me nearly a full minute to have pages load. I usually open links here in new tabs in hopes they'll have loaded by the time I get around to reading them.

Look at my two duplicate comments above: they're posted a minute apart. Huh? I clicked "Post Quick Reply" once and walked away to get a cup of coffee. I don't know if the issue is the server, the software that runs the forum, or a combination of the two... but... this forum is a mess. It's been a mess for months if not longer and I have to assume it'll continue to be a mess until it experiences a crash with massive data loss, at which point everyone will be screaming bloody murder asking why nothing was done ahead of time to prevent the loss.

Well, today should be that "ahead of time" and attempting to patch thing up to get by for a while longer isn't the answer. There's such a great community here. It's such a shame the server/software/etc is so bad.

I'd be pissed if I was a paying member on here.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Animalic chocolate has just posted 2 more. I commented on his last one lol

Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

It is crazy. As someone who enjoys coming on here several times a day, it is increasingly frustrating, and even worse, not hearing for the powers to be does not make it better.

The other thing, as a splitter, it is extremely difficult. You can see with the increase in issues, splits are taking longer, because potential participants are not not surfing the site like they normally would.

Imagine, when a split is filled and mailed and I want to send PM's to the people who participated, it could take me as much as 5 minutes per PM just waiting for it to go though. Yes, I have started using e-mail instead, but now I have to keep additional records instead of using the PM file cabinet. Uggghhh

Don't have to hit submit more than once, it sometimes just acts as if it is stalled, asks if you want to leave page, then posts itself twice!

This happens to me all the time. Have you noticed the people on line at any given time the service slows down. Maybe a loggoff feature after 5 minutes of inctactivity should lessen the problem I know I have been guilty of not logging off when I'm done but been diligent of logging off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Worst perfomance ever.

Maybe moving from php/mySQL shareware junk and moving to a full-featured MSSQL back end with a .NET / IIS web platform would certainly help. Time for Basenotes to strap on the big boy pants.
    Spot on!!

Its running really fast, the fastest I've ever seen basenotes run. Great job Grant! I hope it stays this way.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?