Code of Conduct

Default Evelyn Rose by Crabtree & Evelyn

hi guys and gals,

i recently acquired an EDP vintage bottle of Evelyn Rose (the bottle is clear and not the new tin bottle) by Crabtree & Evelyn. i know it is. women's fragrance but it smells amazing on me too plus i feel that all perfumes are unisex. I paid around $19.99 for the bottle and I researched it on the Internet and it looks to be rare and discontinued (the clear bottle vintage) and selling for as much as $299.99 on Amazon. I also checked the Crabtree &Evelyn website and they do not sell it anymore, rather they sell the new version in the brown tin bottle and I believe it was EDT.

I could not find more than a couple reviews and very little info. on this fragrance. To me it smells of amazing rosť and some peaches, vanilla, and musk on the dry-down. I am looking for more info. and/or some general thoughts on this the vintage EDP version of Evelyn Rose (the clear bottle). Thanks guys and gals

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Evelyn Rose by Crabtree & Evelyn

The real vintage one is the original Evelyn (edp, came out in 1993), which had a sandalwood base and lasted all day and into the evening on my skin. Its replacement/reformulation in 2003 was Evelyn Rose. This lacked the amazing dry down and was peachier. It definitely has its fan base, though, as a natural fresh smelling rose. But it doesn't last on my skin-- 15 minutes and it is undetectable (the edt; the edp lasts a bit longer.)

Evelyn Rose was reformulated last year and that is what you see in the new opaque bottles. At least they had the decency to use a new bottle. The version which you have is selling at places like T J Maxx now, which leads to bottles being listed on eBay.

Here is a listing for the original (vintage) Evelyn-- so you can see the bottle and box. It only came in 50 mls edp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRABTREE-EVE...item53f17a3835

And another, mistakenly listed as Evelyn Rose:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crabtree-Eve...item20c8023999

great info. thank you, yep the ones listed on ebay match my box and bottle; it is also a 50 ml EDP.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Clarifying:
    The $299 one listed on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Crabtree-Evely...+eau+de+parfum) is the reformulated scent renamed Evelyn Rose released in 2003, also a clear bottle.

Both the 2003 and the original 1993 had clear bottles and both came in 50ml for the edp-- the 2003 also came in 100ml for the edt.

The original Evelyn was made using headspace technology and is based on the smell of the David Austin English rose which C&E paid for the right to name "Evelyn". We have 3 of these "Evelyn" bushes in our yard. They grow very gangly long canes! The rose's scent is wonderful, a bit greener than, and not as sweet as, the scent that bears it name.

At the time the original Evelyn came out, there was no talc or dusting powder with that scent-- even though C&E's other floral scents did have a matching talc. I asked about that and was told they had not been able to make the formula work with the talc base.

I always wondered if this was part of the reason they decided to reformulate it-- so that all their soliflore fragrances would be available in the same product line-- shower gel, talc, soap, body creams etc. The actually discontinued it for a year or two and then brought it back, changed-- with matching talc.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 6th April 2013 at 09:58 PM.