Code of Conduct

Default Question about FO

ok when dealing with EO it's fairly easy to know or find out if its a top middle or base note. But when working with FO's how do you determine if a FO is top, mid, or base? is there a site, chart or memo I didn't get?

Default Re: Question about FO

Well, without being cynical or snippy, it's about conducting your own research, and testing and knowing your own materials before you work with them. It's about being, or really, becoming a Perfumer.

It's a process of becoming a Perfumer. But being the student first, by making your own notes to understand your materials, and then you begin to have an understanding of how to make things work.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

well that's what I been doing but there are way to many oils to test on my own. I know there has to be something out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgewater View Post
    well that's what I been doing but there are way to many oils to test on my own. I know there has to be something out there.
    That's why it takes eight years or more to train to become a Perfumer. The only way for you to learn, is for you to do the work. Dip your material, and follow its progress over time, in exactly the same way you have done before (at least I hope that is what you have done).

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    That's why it takes eight years or more to train to become a Perfumer. The only way for you to learn, is for you to do the work. Dip your material, and follow its progress over time, in exactly the same way you have done before (at least I hope that is what you have done).
    It's been 7 years before I have released my line of fragrances, and yes certainly, I am still a student...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

The thing is, with Perfumery you never stop learning, and you must constantly keep reminding yourself of what things smell like and how they perform. The more you do this, the better you get at it.