Code of Conduct

Thread: Eau d'hermes

Thumbs up Eau d'hermes

I LOVE Eau d'Hermes. The tiny booklet that is included with the eau indicates that Roudnistka (sp?) tried to formulate a fagrance that mimics the smell "wafting from the inside of an Hermes bag". I have never had the inclination to smell the inside of any handbag, Hermes or otherwise; however, I will say it does smell like the inside of an Hermes STORE. Subtle infusions of leather, citrus, a soupcon of floral, and some sort of delightful spice abounds. It is evocative somehow of silk twill scarves and courcheval leather. It makes me long for the days when I could spend a weeks income on a sweater or a belt.
    My grandmother had an inordinately large bottle of this in her powder room for aeons. It smelled different than the new stuff, and not necessarily in a good way. I'm thinking the fragrance might have turned with significant age. I do know that the stuff I have bought since the mid-nineties smells exactly the same as the eau currently on the market. So if it was RECENTLY reformulated I can't tell the difference.
    One problem with this though. I have to reapply it about every 1-2 hours, which is quite vexing. I have a 6.5 oz of the splash that I practically bathe in before I leave home. Reapplications are done with the spray, which I keep in my desk at work opposite my bottle of Jack Daniels. I bought the shampoo/body wash at Neiman's for awhile, but it prolonged the longevity not at all. Any suggestions on how I can get this lovely attar to "stick" to my skin for longer than an hour or two would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Eau d'hermes

it was reformulated a couple of years ago, i did come across the new ones 3 or 4 years ago and it is different. the bottles look different, too. the new one has a clear cap, the old one is copper.

the new stuff doesn't do it for me.

if you want to get rid of the big old bottle you're talking about, i'm sure we can work something out.
    please p.m. me, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by RawdonCrawley View Post
    One problem with this though. I have to reapply it about every 1-2 hours, which is quite vexing. I have a 6.5 oz of the splash that I practically bathe in before I leave home. Reapplications are done with the spray, which I keep in my desk at work opposite my bottle of Jack Daniels. I bought the shampoo/body wash at Neiman's for awhile, but it prolonged the longevity not at all. Any suggestions on how I can get this lovely attar to "stick" to my skin for longer than an hour or two would be greatly appreciated.
    from what you say, i got the suspicion that the problem is actually the opposite of what you think it is. here's what i think,

you use too much of it.

why? it is in the way our nose works, it's called adaption. ask someone else if they can still smell it, when you put this much on and you can only smell it if you put on even more. i bet they can!

if i am right with that, try just a nice drop on each wrist (far enough from the nose!) and spread it out a bit, also on the back if you have hair on your arms (perfume clings better to hair than to skin). get on with your day, see how it works out.

good luck.

and in case i am wrong (but please, first test it!) you can put the cologne on your clothes. this gives a much slower evaporation rate than application on skin (which is generally warmer) and the molecules stick pretty good to some fabrics as well (but not all fabrics are created equal, experiment with it.)

IMO a great fragrance.

Banned

apply an unscented lotion on your skin and allow it to dry before spraying your fragrance ... this should help with the longevity ...

I do find that Eau d'Hermes (one of my current faves) doesn't have great longevity, generally.

I use a technique to boost its longevity which I'll share at the risk of offending purists. I've found that when I layer it on top of a generous splash of Agua de Colonia (Alvarez Gomez), which is a citrus EDC, it basically "extends" the longevity and sillage of the Hermes, almost like it gives it a base to cling to.

Even if I only became most likely familiar with this after reformulation, it is still a great scent.