Code of Conduct

Default Strengths of Essential Oils, Attars and Tinctures.

I'm very new to this and trying to work out what the strength difference is between essential oils, attars and tinctures.

For instance; can you use all of them in an eau de toilette or eau de cologne blend? And roughly how much stronger would one be compared to the other?

Default Re: Strengths of Essential Oils, Attars and Tinctures.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenry View Post
    I'm very new to this and trying to work out what the strength difference is between essential oils, attars and tinctures.

For instance; can you use all of them in an eau de toilette or eau de cologne blend? And roughly how much stronger would one be compared to the other?
    Why not find out for yourself? Dip and compare. As a general rule of thumb, tinctures tend to be weaker than Essential Oils and Absolutes. Absolutes last longest. However there are some Absolutes that are stronger than some Oils; it really does depend on the type of material.

You can use anything you damn well want to when creating a fragrance; it is your creation, after all. However it will make things a lot easier for you if you have learned how these materials perform and behave. Dip your Oils etc. individually on a smelling strip and follow the progress over a few days (and even longer, sometimes). Smell and make notes. Learn the characteristics of each substance, so that when you blend them together, the result will be less of a surprise.

I realise that you may have only a small number of Oils etc. to hand, but even with a few this exercise is invaluable.