Code of Conduct

Default Incredibly lucky find - Rochas Macassar

Today I scored a bottle of this very hard to find classic. I had read about it and wondered if it lived up to the hype.

There's no hype. It is a gloriously retro fragrance. And fantastic with it.

Many reviews class it as vulgarly macho. I don't think so. It's opening in my opinion is redolent of Cartier Santos Concentree which I have long been a lover of.

But dear God, what a heavenly journey and evolution from savage shouty top notes to beautifully floral carnation-rich heart notes to a dry down that is one of the best leather oakmoss amber blends I have ever smelled. It is so damned sexy and addictive you could weep.

And of course, like so many great scents it is discontinued.

Why are fragrance houses so bloody stupid? This is pure poetry. Savagely beautiful with a heart and soul to make angels want to forego their wings...
    Last edited by HDS1963; 30th January 2013 at 07:07 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: Incredibly lucky find - Rochas Macassar

Congrats! I am lucky I still have a full large bottle of this classic in my collection.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

You both are lucky dogs! Congrats!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

My favorite fragrance ever. I own the vintage and the briefly reintroduced version.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Congrats man. Enjoy!

Rarer than unicorn piss. You are one lucky dude.

Congrats, great find!!!

I'd like to try this one...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Any chance of some photos? I'd love to see this rare beast...!

Where was this lucky find? Seems like I am missing a great deal from my collection.

Omg, what a classic. I would have loved to find some of that. I wore it years ago and loved it. Wonder if it would still work it's magic on me now?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it the original in the squat bottle?
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Today I scored a bottle of this very hard to find classic. I had read about it and wondered if it lived up to the hype.

There's no hype. It is a gloriously retro fragrance. And fantastic with it.

Many reviews class it as vulgarly macho. I don't think so. It's opening in my opinion is redolent of Cartier Santos Concentree which I have long been a lover of.

But dear God, what a heavenly journey and evolution from savage shouty top notes to beautifully floral carnation-rich heart notes to a dry down that is one of the best leather oakmoss amber blends I have ever smelled. It is so damned sexy and addictive you could weep.

And of course, like so many great scents it is discontinued.

Why are fragrance houses so bloody stupid? This is pure poetry. Savagely beautiful with a heart and soul to make angels want to forego their wings...
    I'm very glad you like it and that you found it. It's the best scent i know. I agree it's very beautiful and not at all vulgar. Masculine, yes, but not vulgar. I highly appreciate mr. Nicolas Mamounas' work not only with Macassar but every fragrance he has created. Mamounas has created this in 1980 in collaboration with Roger Pellegrino (another genious perfumer!).
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

So, I have a question for you all Macassar Fans,...

I was eagerly anticipating the Globe Fragrance by the Rochas house. When it came, I was supremely insulted that I had paid good money for that *&%#*#@*!&%

IS Macassar similar, or is it really worth my time to investigate, and invest in obtaining a sample?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Paul, it's nothing like Globe, I loved that one too, and again would love the chance to sniff it again.

Not sure how the reissue of Macassar smells, but the original in the squat bottle was amazing. I can't describd the smell because it's a long time since I sniffed it, sorry.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Congrats
    I am jelous

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    So, I have a question for you all Macassar Fans,...

I was eagerly anticipating the Globe Fragrance by the Rochas house. When it came, I was supremely insulted that I had paid good money for that *&%#*#@*!&%

IS Macassar similar, or is it really worth my time to investigate, and invest in obtaining a sample?
    Macassar is different from Globe -

With Macassar the case is that you will surely get your money back with a good interest - it is getting all the time more and more expensive. In the case you find you don't like it and you have not paid essentially over the market price of your bottle.

I've noticed that if you'll buy a 5 ml mini bottle of Macassar, the chances are that you won't get a right picture of the scent. No doubt there is more or less Macassar that's in the bottle, but if stored in a wrong way (heat, sunlight, air etc.) the scent can be changed and gone bad. I've purchased 5 mini bottles and 2 were bad. Imo the safest choice is to buy from a reputable seller a full 50ml or 100 ml bottle from French or German eBay for example.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Thank you Prince Barry, and df91
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes