Hello Basenotes,

One of my roommates is getting married in May. Her maid of honor, who is organizing a surprise lingerie shower for her and knows that I like perfume, has asked me to pick out a fragrance to give her instead of lingerie. This is not intended to be a wedding day scent, but I would still like it to feel "special." It should be something pretty, feminine, youthful, and romantic that she could wear to celebrate the beginning of a new stage in her life.

Here is a little info about her. She is in her mid-twenties and is training to work in the medical field. She usually dresses in a cute/sporty sort of way but also enjoys wearing heels, flowy skirts, etc. (she dresses up for church every Sunday). I am looking for a fragrance that is classy and feminine but not too "serious." It needs to be something that a non-fumie would easily be able to appreciate. The only fragrance I've seen her wear is Victoria's Secret Love Spell; however, she wears it pretty frequently and owns both the lotion and the body spray, so I think she would wear and appreciate a bottle of something else too. Basenotes lists the notes of Love Spell as: cherry blossom, red apple, Georgia Peach, muguet, white jasmine, lilac, tamarind, blondewood. So something floral with a bit of sweetness would probably be nice for her (sorry, I realize that's very broad). Nothing too bombastic or outrageously sexy, as those do not really fit with her style and would probably just feel awkward for her to wear.

Also, some thought needs to be put into the image of the fragrance. She has a down-to-earth, sweet personality and would probably not want to wear anything with a name like Guilty, Poison, Insolence, etc. I would also like to get her something with a nice (or at least non-hideous) bottle.

Both designer and niche suggestions are welcome, although preferably not overly obscure or pricey niche brands... names like Creed, Frédéric Malle, Serge Lutens, etc. would not mean anything to her anyway. Here are a few ideas I have so far based on fragrances I've sampled:

- Caron Aimez-Moi
- Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps
- Dior J'adore
- Guerlain Idylle
- L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons

Thank you so much for your comments!